Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock 37 in 45 GAP: Worth it?

I am contemplating purchasing a Glock 37 in 45 Gap. I came across a REALLY good deal, and I wanted to know if the 45 gap was worth it. I have a Glock 21 and I am very happy with it, but I am intrigued by the new 45 gap cartridge.

I’d like to request some input from fellow PFGOA members on the 45 gap. How is the cartridge? Is there much difference between the Mo.37/45 GAP & the Mo.21 45ACP?

I just wanted to know everyone thoughts, hoping that your input would force me off the fence and influence me to pick the Model 37 or walk away and put the cash to another purchase?

Thanks.
    Last edited by slaterface; November 18th, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Glock 37 in 45 GAP: Worth it?

Similer disscussion went on recently...

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/85...-shooting.html

I personaly dont think .45GAP isn't worth the effort, personaly.
    Lack of availability of cheap range ammo(well, even 9mm FMJ ain't so cheap anymore...But you know what I'm trying to say) would usualy push me away from any new calibers.
    I once thought about .357SIG would be great caliber, but I never persued it because of above reason..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

Thank you. That post was very helpful.

(Butler County)

Personally I wouldn't buy one. Ammo is more expensive and not as common.
    45GAP goes for 45 cents a round, you can get 9mm for 18 cents or 45acp for 31 cents. http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Similer disscussion went on recently...

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/85...-shooting.html

I personaly dont think .45GAP isn't worth the effort, personaly.
    Lack of availability of cheap range ammo(well, even 9mm FMJ ain't so cheap anymore...But you know what I'm trying to say) would usualy push me away from any new calibers.
    I once thought about .357SIG would be great caliber, but I never persued it because of above reason..
    I took a chance on a G32 (357sig) and I am happy I did. I love the cartridge and the Glock. Ammo does get hard to find at times but I have never been completely out of 357sig.

I have not seen 45GAP ammo in many places though. The only place I have seen this ammo on a regular basis is/was Cabellas.

YMMV
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I took a chance on a G32 (357sig) and I am happy I did. I love the cartridge and the Glock. Ammo does get hard to find at times but I have never been completely out of 357sig.

I have not seen 45GAP ammo in many places though. The only place I have seen this ammo on a regular basis is/was Cabellas.

YMMV
    Yeah.. back when I thought about .357Sig was back when S&W came out with M&P357Sig(about 3 years ago or so?), and .357ammo was not commonly found then. most gunshop always had them, sure, but paying close to $20/box of 50 just did not made much of economical sense(remenber, this is back when 100rds of 9mm WWB was around $10~$12 at your local walmart. Dont we miss those days?!)

They are much more common now, but still not common enough to bring the price down to where I feel is economical enough IMO
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Yeah.. back when I thought about .357Sig was back when S&W came out with M&P357Sig(about 3 years ago or so?), and .357ammo was not commonly found then. most gunshop always had them, sure, but paying close to $20/box of 50 just did not made much of economical sense(remenber, this is back when 100rds of 9mm WWB was around $10~$12 at your local walmart. Dont we miss those days?!)

They are much more common now, but still not common enough to bring the price down to where I feel is economical enough IMO
    You are right, it is not economical, but it won't take you broke if you don't get them from Cabellas. The Wally world price is about $26/box... Cabellas is $31/box of 50.

If you watch the ammo sites closely you can get cases for a reasonable price. (about .38-.48 cents per round)
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Montgomery County)

The real question should be what can .45 GAP do that .45 ACP cannot. The answer is, nothing!

.45 GAP is nothing but a shorter version of .45 ACP to work in shorter framed autos. This GAP is a worthless round that was mostly developed to satisfy a non-existent need (unless you count Mr. Glock and his narcissistic drive to have a cartridge named after him, watch out for the rubber hammer).

The .45 GAP is a spicy mexican food fart passing in the wind. It will be gone like the .356 TSW cartridge of days yore. Since the .45 ACP can do it all, and then some (being chambered in better weapons, see revolvers).

Here is an idea, instead of blowing hundreds on a new pistol that is hard to find ammo for, why not buy two cases of ammo in your favorite calibers, then practice, practice and practice some more.

If you really have to blow your money on a new handgun, get a wheel gun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lehigh County)

Slaterface,

I would suggest that you handle the Glock 21 or Glock 21SF and see how it feels to you compared to the Glock 37. For me, the 45GAP Glock pistols feel better in my hand than the 45ACP Glock pistols. I like my Glock 38 so much that I sold my G30SF. Again, that is just my personal preference. You may feel differently.

The ballistics of the 45GAP is the same as the 45 ACP. The idea behind it was to fit a 45 caliber round into the 9mm/40 frame size of Glock pistols. In a department there are many different size hands. The frame of the Glock 37 is the same as the Glock 17/22/31 and accomodates people with smaller hands.

You will not be able to walk into a Walmart and buy 45GAP ammo. There are several Walmarts in the Lehigh Valley and I don't see a lot of 45 ACP, 40 S&W, or 9mm either right now. I have not had any problem purchasing 45GAP ammo online.

(Monroe County)

If you're going to carry an uncommon pricey caliber, why not just go with 10mm? It would make alot more sense, more powerful round, almost the same price, and equally as hard to find.

I would stay away from 45GAP. I've seen next to no GAP ammo in 2 years and virtually no platforms that use it except glock and springfield armory. So you've got a whole 2-3 pistols to choose from, AFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast