Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Broken Arm, Strong Side...

So, say you were skiing, training or whatever and you break your arm. 3-6 weeks in a cast with no use of your strong-side arm.

What would you do?

Buy a new holster for the weak side? Say 'eff-it, it's really not that dangerous here anyway?' Hire a body guard? Stow the gun in a sling? Hide in the basement till it heals?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Broken Arm, Strong Side...

Interesting question. Never really thought about that before.

I would probably stay cooped up in the house until it heals, because it would make even driving difficult (I drive stick).

I fractured my weak side shoulder this past year in a motorcycle crash, and had to keep it in a sling for several weeks, so luckily that didn't limit me too much.

Proud member of:

(York County)

I bought a left-handed OWB Serpa from Andrewjs18 and wore it cross-draw at about the 2:00 position. Then I went to the range and proved my left-handed draw and shooting ability to myself. Then I went about carrying as I did before. I've always been able to use either hand, for everything except writing, so it wasn't much of an adjustment. I am also left-eye dominant and shoot rifles left-handed, so it was not a real big deal.

I was actually rather pleased with my groupings shooting single-handed with my left. As a result, almost every range trip has me practicing all three, just right, just left, and two hands. Its getting to the point where the groups all look alike at 7 yards.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

It's a little late to wait until then. Not for above possibilities , but the strong hand/ arm is disporportionatly likely to become injuried in a confrontation.
    Everyone should maintain at least an adaquate level of competence with weak hand only, and have at least one weak hand / ambidexterous holster for main handgun.
    Personally I prefer to carry second gun straight weak hand rather than crossdraw, so I am already equiped.

(Lackawanna County)

Cross draw, ankle holster or a thigh holster.

(Allegheny County)

practice more weak hand only shooting.
    buy new holster.
    be glad my 1911 has an ambi safety.

I can change my life and routine a little until it heals, but I cant change the world or live in a vault.

I bought a 2½" .38 S&W J-frame for the duration, and then when I started physical therapy on my right hand I also started to relearn shooting from the left and doing all the loading, etc., from the right. I quickly discovered that there are pistols that are next to worthless for the left-handed and some that are just about perfect. Accordingly, some of my stuff doesn't get as much play as it used to.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    I bought a 2½" .38 S&W J-frame for the duration, and then when I started physical therapy on my right hand I also started to relearn shooting from the left and doing all the loading, etc., from the right. I quickly discovered that there are pistols that are next to worthless for the left-handed and some that are just about perfect. Accordingly, some of my stuff doesn't get as much play as it used to.
    Expand on that please~like to know the specifics
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Allegheny County)

When I had an eye injury which left me with about 75% vision in my dominant eye, I bought a weak side holster for my carry pistol, so I have that part covered.

A group of guys who all took a DTI /Farnam class got together for the sole purpose of practicing one handed pistol manipulations. Presentations, reloads, malfunction clearances. It was a good session and opened up our eyes for the possibility.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Saw off a shotgun barrel, plaster it into your cast with a wire release for your fingers, and you are good to go. Of course, the paperwork for an AOW will take longer than it will for your arm to heal, so you will have to plan for it. If you didn't plan to break your arm, I vote for lots of practice weak handed. Ejected casings are a pain though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast