Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Tennessee open carrier detained Belle Meade Al Gore 's home town black powder pis

OP, what exactly are you hoping to accomplish by carrying a BP revolver in the manner prescribed by this antiquated and odd exception to the law?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Default Re: Tennessee open carrier detained Belle Meade Al Gore 's home town black powder pis

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    OP, what exactly are you hoping to accomplish by carrying a BP revolver in the manner prescribed by this antiquated and odd exception to the law?
    I was attempting to carry a pistol for self defense in the only legal manner available to me.

I did it because I can.

I did it to prove it is legal.

I did it for the exercise, I am obese and have high cholesterol.

It is an all of the above.

P.S. Costco has always banned firearms. I didn't make Costco create an anti firearm policy.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; January 24th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Is it me or is there something extremely strange with this thread?

I also have to say, no matter what antiquated law lays out this 'carry openly in your hand' says I just can't for the life of me see how any LE would NOT stop someone doing it. The fact of the matter is a 'drawn weapon' is a threat in the minds of a shit load of people out there, and I don't care if it's black powder or any other kind.

Sorry but the sight of someone walking down the street, weapon in hand, has to freak out just about anyone.

I'd be real curious what a lot of members here would do if they saw someone walking down a road, gun in hand.

And again, something about this thread really strikes me a odd.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    I also have to say, no matter what antiquated law lays out this 'carry openly in your hand' says I just can't for the life of me see how any LE would NOT stop someone doing it. The fact of the matter is a 'drawn weapon' is a threat in the minds of a shit load of people out there, and I don't care if it's black powder or any other kind.

Sorry but the sight of someone walking down the street, weapon in hand, has to freak out just about anyone.

Just because someone has a pistol in their hand does not mean they are a threat. If they were to point that pistol at you, wave it around (brandish), or possibly act irresponsibly then I could see how it would be threatening.

In Belle Meade the carry of an army / navy pistol, IMO, doesn't require a handgun carry permit, if you don't get into a federal school zone. This is because the city law preempts State law.

(Franklin County)

I'd be real curious what a lot of members here would do if they saw someone walking down a road, gun in hand.
    In an area where I knew the weird laws made it the only legal way to carry? Nothing.

Not saying I'd do it myself, but if it's legal, it's legal, and if it really is such a bad thing, then I'd expect the pro-2A crowd to support new laws restricting it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

this thread strikes me as odd as well, but IF the law is written that way then maybe this would be the sparkto change that law.

Hopefully it would be changed for the better & one could then OC any holstered handgun.

More likely it would be changed for the worse however & OC would be outlawed all together.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    this thread strikes me as odd as well, but IF the law is written that way then maybe this would be the sparkto change that law.

Hopefully it would be changed for the better & one could then OC any holstered handgun.

More likely it would be changed for the worse however & OC would be outlawed all together.
    Belle Meade cannot write a new law restricting handguns. City ordinances only preempt State law if they were inforce before April 8, 1986. So, the only real option before Belle Meade is to do as Nashville did, which was ammend the law to allow anyone authorized to carry a handgun to carry a handgun. Or, they can leave the ordinance alone and sincerely doubt they will do that.

(Berks County)

As soon as I started to read this thread it reminded me of the AK pistol in the park thread. So I googled the OP's name, and it turns out google has even heard of him!

(Lebanon County)

The exact same thing has been said, and will continue to be said about OC with the gun in a holster, and OC while visiting a bank, a park, soccer games, anywhere there are children, Philadelphia, near Jahwarrior , at OCB, etc.

If that is what the law requires and people don't like it then they need to work to change the law. They could make OC of a holstered handgun legal without a license/permit, or with a license/permit, and they could allow weapons other than black powder revolvers to be carried, etc. But as long as this is the law then this is what he must do.

Why do we have state preemption in PA? How did we get it? Who campaigned and advocated for it? What was it like navigating through the various municipalities before state before preemption?

Maybe they will get it now.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Monroe County)

From what I understand, the only legal way to carry in this particular town in Tenn, is for it to be a specific model of firearm(Army or Navy model, black powder), and it has to be carried in one's hand. That is the law of the town, which is apparently not subject to state preemption, so if one wants to carry there, that is how it must be done. Hope I got that correct.

If so, I support this guy 100%. I don't care if he is pushing the envelope, strike that in fact, I do care. I care that he is doing it because someone needs to. I don't care if he is doing it looking for a payday, because if what he is doing is legal and the .gov wants to step on him for it, then they deserve to get hit in the pocketbook.

At some point, the members of law enforcement are either going to need to tone down their responses to a great many things, or ramp them up and face the resulting push back by the citizenry.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast