Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Best entry level BA .308

Just looking for a nice .308 win that has a fair price tag. I want something i can put a scope on. It should do very well at 100 yards, and i want to be happy with it at like 300 yards. I have been looking at a remington 700, but thats about the MAX i'd like to spend on the gun itself before the scope.

Is there anything that gets really good reviews for Value. maybe in the $300 range? Or is it totally worth it to just get the R700 for 2x the price

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Best entry level BA .308

Quote Originally Posted by eyeraker View Post
    Just looking for a nice .308 win that has a fair price tag. I want something i can put a scope on. It should do very well at 100 yards, and i want to be happy with it at like 300 yards. I have been looking at a remington 700, but thats about the MAX i'd like to spend on the gun itself before the scope.

Is there anything that gets really good reviews for Value. maybe in the $300 range? Or is it totally worth it to just get the R700 for 2x the price
    IMO, it's totally worth it to get the Remington 700. That was my first BA .308, and I loved everything about it. If you ever plan on shooting long range, it will allow you to grow into it, rather than growing out of something else and having to upgrade.

Proud member of:

(Philadelphia County)

I like the Savage line. I have a 10FP in .308. It's cheaper because it comes with a cheap stock. But the Accutrigger makes up for that.
    AR accessories - Barbie for men

(York County)

i recently bought a winchester model 70 featherweight in .308 that i found on a "scratch and dent but still new" rack at grice's for 550 bucks. best part was it didn't have any scratches or dents! but in the price range you're saying i'd have total confidence in savage. actually until i found the model 70 i was actually looking for a savage instead. if you can get one with the accutrigger even better but its the barrel nut that makes the savage solid. and since i just said that i guess i have to endorse a marlin xl7 as well.

you didn't say what the gun was for, hunting, target shooting, etc. but if you've got a good shop nearby with a large used rack, don't be afraid to read up on how to review a used rifle and go that route. most people talk about their guns more than they actually fire them, the deals are out there.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

(York County)

now that i think about it, if you really want great value get a stevens. thats savage's low cost line but there's nothing cheap about it, its just the previous generation savage rifle with a different name on it. i think gunblast did a pretty decent review of them a little while back.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

(Berks County)

now that i think about it, if you really want great value get a stevens. thats savage's low cost line but there's nothing cheap about it, its just the previous generation savage rifle with a different name on it. i think gunblast did a pretty decent review of them a little while back.
    +1 to this, A buddy picked up a Stevens in .223, bare bones bolt action compared to the Savage with the accu-trigger and some more bells and whistles. About a $200 price difference, but still good quality.

It has turned out to be a tack driver for him and he REALLY likes it. The money he saved on the rifle he put towards quality glass, I think he picked up a one of the Nikon offerings for a scope.

Personally, I have seen some really great deals on used bolt actions. I wouldn't discount a used rifle myself.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Butler County)

I've heard nothing but good about Savage rifles. Good trigger,accurate and not too expensive. What you save in the gun price can be put towards a good scope. Or ammo

Savage makes a good gun for not alot of money. I have a 110 in 7mm Rem that I bought new 15-16 years ago for about $350 with a cheapo Bushnell scope on it. It always shot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds. That ain't bad for a $300 gun.
    My son borrowed it to deer hunt a long time ago & I haven't seen it since.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Stevens is good and cheap......combine it with a good scope and bedding = best money ever spent

(Perry County)

While I agree with the above plaudits for Stevens and Savage, you might want to look at the new Marlins. Almost as inexpensive as the Stevens but with a trigger more in line with the Savage. Really, we are blessed with accurate bolt rifles now, 30 years ago you couldn't buy off the rack accuracy that the Stevens and Marlin offer today for peanuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast