Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default SEPA Basic Handgun Courses

I get my Taurus in a few days, and with everything that's been going on in my area lately, I really want to carry ASAP. The bf thinks it'd be a good idea to take a basic class or two, first, though. I have to agree with him, but the only place we know of is Millcreek Sportsman Ass. Does anyone know of anywhere else also, or have any reviews about Millcreek?

As close to Lancaster as possible is best. Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: SEPA Basic Handgun Courses

You should not be in a rush, take your time. Learn your laws during the interim, know what you can and cannot do according to the law of the land.

One class may not be enough for you to be proficient enough to stake your life on your ability. Buy some snap caps and magazines or speedloaders (I could not tell if you are getting a revolver or auto) and practice reloading and malfunction drills. Buy a case of ammo and work on your accuracy at the range.

You have a lot of work to do and much to learn before you can prudently bet your life on your ability.

I can provide links to videos on technique. What are you going to carry? What kind of holster are you going to use? Do you have your LTCF?
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by KrptcMschfMkr128 View Post
    I get my Taurus in a few days, and with everything that's been going on in my area lately, I really want to carry ASAP. The bf thinks it'd be a good idea to take a basic class or two, first, though. I have to agree with him, but the only place we know of is Millcreek Sportsman Ass. Does anyone know of anywhere else also, or have any reviews about Millcreek?

As close to Lancaster as possible is best. Thanks.
    http://targetmaster.com/handgun_safety_courses.html

(Lancaster County)

Sorry, I didn't realize how much of a novice I sound like with that. I'm not a complete newb when it comes to guns. My boyfriend has been pretty good with teaching me a lot about guns, rights, etc. I've also been lurking about on the forum a good bit and reading up on stuff. We just both agree that, before I start carrying, I'd probably be good to take a course or two, on basic handgun safety and defense. There's just some stuff he can't, or can't do very well, teach and explain.

And, Steve, I'm getting a Taurus PT 111. The bf thinks I should get a Fobus paddle holster, but I'm not too sure yet on that. I know the gun comes with a holster, but I can't recall what kind of holster, I just know it's IWB. I don't have my LTCF, but I'm going to get that on ThursdayAM (gotta wait for the bday first). This is something we've been discussing for a few months now, my getting a gun, we just didn't expect my needing to start carrying until closer to summer and figured I'd have a bit more time to get the classes in. However, over the past week or so, there's been a lot of stuff going on in the area I walk to/from work in and I can't always get a ride.
    Last edited by KrptcMschfMkr128; January 23rd, 2010 at 09:21 PM.