i stopped in earlier today to kill some time, not really intent on buying anythin. my brother had a doctor's appointment, so i decided to drop by the store, instead of hanging out in the waiting room, reading Golf Digest.

i took a look at a used Charles Daly Hi Power; they were asking $299 for it. it's previous owner installed XS Big Dot sights on it. it was in pretty nice shape, overall. i also took a look at a Taurus, a 4" .357, not sure of the model. it looked to be brand new; the price was around $400.

i wandered over to the back counter, and was surprised to see a Cold Steel Trail Master. i've never seen one in a store, and i've always wanted to handle one, so i asked to hold it. this one was the version made from SK-5 steel, with the black coated blade. they retail for over $100. i held it, got a feel for the balance, and swirled it around a bit, safely away from other customers. i handed it back to Dave, and asked how much it was, just out of curiousity. he walked over to Ted, then walked back, and said, "ten dollars."

i almost thought he said it was only $10, so i asked him again.

"ten dollars."

he stood there and grinned, at me, so i knew he was pulling my chain. i told him i was goinjg to walk over to Ted myself, and ask him again. we walked over, and Ted confirmed the price.

i think i asked him about 5 times if he was sure he wanted to sell it to me for that price. i made sure to tell him what they retail for, and he said he knew, then showed me the sticker on the back of the sheath. it clearly said $110. he said some guy brought a bunch of knives in, so it was no big deal. "it's used, anyway."

yes, it was used, but barely. there was some staining on the edge, but it stil had a factory edge on it, which means you could shave with it. the staining will come off with a few minutes work. there's also some nchipping on the spine, but only on the coating; the blade itself is pristine.

this isn't a factory second, it's a first run, so it's profile is perfect. i bought it, and ran out of the store, like it was stolen.

i love this store.