Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Machine Gun Mystery In Sheriff's Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    When I was a vol. fireman for my township I had heard that the local pd had a Thompson that they kept in the trunk of one of the cruisers. It is my understanding that it was common for small pd's to have them from the Bonnie and Clyde days.

It is my uns=derstanding that the 30-06 was a BAR.

Hi Normanvin,

Just fries me on the " Found " comment they made.

Seems rather ' unprofessional ' to me ... ah', maybe we've tolerated it for so long now, we just expect it.

Take Care ... appreciate your Vol. Fire serv !
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

When I was a kid my father was Police Commissioner in Fort Lee NJ. (This was back in the mid/late-50's.) The department had 2 1928's that I learned to shoot....I LOVED it!!! It was a common practice for the Federal Govt. to give out various "surplus" weapons.

Thumbs up Re: Machine Gun Mystery In Sheriff's Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    When I was a kid my father was Police Commissioner in Fort Lee NJ. (This was back in the mid/late-50's.) The department had 2 1928's that I learned to shoot....I LOVED it!!! It was a common practice for the Federal Govt. to give out various "surplus" weapons.

Hello Thanker,

Use to deliver to the A + P in Ft. Lee ... just a joy in rush hour or on Saturday's.

Didn't really know many of the local LEO's in my area, so never was aware of their armament.

Take Care

(Luzerne County)

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Sher...1-26-2010.html

Sheriff’s gun sale brings probe
    County solicitor checking to see if department sold other guns and, if so, whether any have vanished.

By Jennifer Learn-Andes jandes@timesleader.com
    Luzerne County Reporter

Luzerne County Solicitor Vito DeLuca said he is investigating the possible sale of other sheriff’s office guns and researching whether any guns that could have been sold to make money have disappeared.
    Read more Luzerne County Government articles

click image to enlarge

Savokinas
    Select images available for purchase in the
    Times Leader Photo Store

DeLuca said he is basing his investigation on information he has received.

Sheriff’s office gun sales are an issue because the county administration recently learned that former Sheriff Michael Savokinas had agreed to sell a Tommy machine gun, vintage 1928, to a Pittston gun dealership for $20,000.

Commissioner Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla has said the department should have asked the commissioners to decide if and how the gun would be sold, and there was no independent appraisal or public bidding to ensure the county got the best price.

The sheriff’s office also sold three other guns to the same business – Advanced Arms in Pittston – for $2,500, records show.

“Today we found some information that seemed to indicate that a number of other sales took place. It appears as if there could be as many as 20 guns that were sold,” DeLuca said.

DeLuca said the sheriff’s office has not cooperated in his investigation.

Acting Sheriff Charles Guarnieri, who took charge of the office when Savokinas resigned Sept. 1, could not be reached for comment Monday afternoon.

Michelle Castner, a deputy sheriff in the office’s real estate division, said the office showed the FBI all guns stored in the office last year so an official inventory could be done.

Castner said she knows of no missing guns. The office ends up with guns because people sometimes donate them, she said. The office also confiscates guns as part of protection-from-abuse cases, and court orders are obtained to sign them over to the office if the weapons have gone unclaimed for years, she said.

The Tommy gun sale came to light when someone familiar with the gun contacted Controller Walter Griffith with concerns that the gun was sold for less than it was worth. Griffith verified that money from the sale was deposited and referred the person to DeLuca.

Guarnieri has said he used some of the money from the Tommy gun sale to purchase Taser equipment for the office
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Shouldn't DeLuca be investigating the REAL corruption in Luzerne County?...
    Oh, yeah, he wouldn't want to do that now would he

This is wag the dog by Luzerne Co. We're in heaps o' trouble, lets try and investigate someone else.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Shouldn't DeLuca be investigating the REAL corruption in Luzerne County?...
    Oh, yeah, he wouldn't want to do that now would he

This is wag the dog by Luzerne Co. We're in heaps o' trouble, lets try and investigate someone else.
    Isn't that called misdirection?

I spent the first 57 years of my life in northeast New Jersey.....
    I'm not used to all this corruption in government. (sarcastic smirk)
    In NJ they at least make an attempt at covering it up....in NEPA they seem to be astonished that they were caught.

(Luzerne County)

Question Re: Machine Gun Mystery In Sheriff's Dept.

If i've read everything right originally the gun game from the prison. I'm pretty sure there was a quick mention in one of the articles that the prison had 2 1928's. I did a tour in the late 80's or early 90's from school at the prison. During that tour our group was told the story of 2 "tommy" guns that were found in the prison during renovations. They were in their boxes with recipts. They were covered u in a wall and were located during renovations. I don't know whick article mentioned it but one of them did say there were 2 guns. Where did the 2nd go?

Why can't all the guns not used in a crime that were confiscated by the SO be sold to help with the countys financial troubles?

I feel bad that Chris was dragged in to this mess.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    http://www.timesleader.com/news/Sher...1-26-2010.html

Sheriff’s gun sale brings probe
    County solicitor checking to see if department sold other guns and, if so, whether any have vanished.

DeLuca said the sheriff’s office has not cooperated in his investigation.

Gotta' love it Norm ... gotta frikken love it !

What the heck do you think would happen if you, me or any other gun owning schlub would try that approach ... " Not Cooperating " ... ahem ... ' Sir, would you put 'yer hands behind 'yer back '

How is it that The Law thinks they're Above the Law ?

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the Criminal Activity

Take Care Norm

(Luzerne County)

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Expe...1-27-2010.html

Expert: Tommy gun brought market price

By Edward Lewis elewis@timesleader.com
    Staff Writer

A vintage 1928 Navy Thompson submachine gun sold to a gun dealer by the Luzerne County Sheriff’s Department garnered the current market price, an expert in the field said on Tuesday.
    Related headlines

Tracie Hill, a Thompson submachine gun appraiser, collector and author of “Thompson: The American Legend,” said the model sold by the sheriff’s department is valued at about $20,000 to $25,000 in today’s economy.

“A Navy Thompson from that era would bring in $24,000 to $25,000 for someone who has a burning desire of history,” Hill said. “If the economy was not busted, the value of that model of Thompson would easily be $35,000 to $40,000.”

Hill, of Licking County, Ohio, said the Guernsey County, Ohio, Sheriff’s Department recently sold four 1920s Thompson submachine guns through a bidding process in December. Each Tommy gun was sold for $27,000, Hill said.

Hill said the Guernsey County Sheriff’s Department first got permission from Guernsey County Commissioners to sell the firearms.

The 1928 Navy Thompson submachine gun was sold in August by the Luzerne County Sheriff’s Department to Advanced Arms in Pittston for $20,000, according to the sales agreement.

County Commissioner Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla said the sheriff’s department should have asked the commissioners to decide if and how the 1928A Navy Thompson would be sold. There was no request or independent appraisal to determine the value of the Tommy gun.

According to the sale’s agreement, the 1928A Navy was described as being in excellent condition, with original parts. There was a speckle of rust on the receiver and on the butt-pad and stock, which Hill said is common for a firearm that was manufactured about 80 years ago.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Coun...1-27-2010.html

County gives sheriff gun sale info to FBI
    Solicitor demands answers from acting sheriff; controller could use subpoena to obtain information.

By Jennifer Learn-Andes jandes@timesleader.com
    Luzerne County Reporter

Luzerne County Solicitor Vito DeLuca said he has turned over information about sheriff’s office gun sales to the FBI for further investigation.
    Related headlines

He has also demanded more information from acting Sheriff Charles Guarnieri and said county Controller Walter Griffith has agreed to use his subpoena powers to obtain the information if Guarnieri doesn’t comply.

DeLuca started investigating because the sheriff’s office sold a Tommy gun and three other guns to Advanced Arms in Pittston for $22,500 without commissioner approval or an independent appraisal.

He said Tuesday that financial records show the office sold another 19 guns to individuals in 2009, including some employees.

DeLuca said he has asked Guarnieri to furnish information about these gun sales because the county’s financial records don’t indicate the types of guns sold and whether there were any independent appraisals.

He also demanded a complete inventory of all guns currently held by the sheriff’s office.

According to the financial records, guns were sold to the following people in 2009, along with the amount paid: Mark Senczakowicz, $250; Jason Volciak, two guns at $125 each; Carl Zawatski, $375; Donald Lasoski, $125; Leslie Middaugh, $375; John Evanchick Jr., $250; Joseph Christino, $250; Anthony Giannott, $375; Mary Jean Farrell, $375; Hank Nothen, $125; Joseph Oliveri, $125; Mandy Leandri, $125; Gary Loughney, $250; Brian Szumski, $375; Donald Kresenski, $250; Eugene Gurnari, $125; Michael Savokinas, $150; and William Joyce, $250.

Savokinas was sheriff until he resigned Sept. 1. Zawatski is chief deputy for real estate in the sheriff’s office.

DeLuca stressed that the list is based on the county’s computerized financial accounting system, and he has not personally contacted any individuals on the list to verify that they purchased guns.

Commissioner Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla said sale of all guns should have been publicly advertised to give anyone the opportunity to buy them.

“It’s just mind boggling. An inventory like this should have gone out for competitive bid. That’s just common government practice, and it is clearly black and white in the state County Code,” Petrilla said.

Commissioners recently voted to seek proposals from an auctioneer to sell surplus county property, she noted.

“We’re going to auction sinks, washers and dryers, beds, old TVs from the prison – all kinds of odds and ends to ensure we get the best price when we liquidate these county assets,” Petrilla said.

She complained that the sheriff’s office has been unresponsive to the county’s questions.

DeLuca said Griffith was “all too willing to assist” by using his subpoena powers in the investigation.

County controllers have authority to issue subpoenas demanding the appearance of county employees and other outside witnesses to answer questions about county finances. People who are subpoenaed may also be ordered to produce books, vouchers and “papers relative to such accounts,” according to state law.

The controller also has the power to administer oaths to all people appearing before them, the code says.

Michelle Castner, a deputy sheriff in the office’s real estate division, has said the office showed the FBI all guns stored in the office last year so an official inventory could be done.

The office ends up with guns because people sometimes donate them, she said. The office also confiscates guns as part of protection-from-abuse cases, and court orders are obtained to sign them over to the office if the weapons have gone unclaimed for years, she said.

Guarnieri has said he used some of the money from the Tommy gun sale to purchase Taser equipment for the office.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast