Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Need input on using a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock with a Remington 700 SPS Varmit

Does anyone in the Lehigh Valley area have a Remington 700 in a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock (U.S.S.)?

I am looking into buying a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and dropping it into the U.S.S. I would like to take a look at (maybe shoot, I’ll bring ammo) and talk to the current owner. I have heard such mixed comments on this stock. Some say they are junk and to spend the extra hundred and buy a bell & carlson tactical medalist stock instead (out of stock most places). The U.S.S. is around 160 and the Bell is about 230. Others seem to swear by them saying they are just as good as far more expensive stocks. I really like the look and adjustability of the U.S.S. I just want to make sure it’s a comfortable fit so I’m not throwing away money, which is tight right now. I have read that you need to modify the area where you mount a bipod, other than that are they plug and play? Also will this stock limit accuracy? From what I understand it has a bedding block and allows the barrel to free float. Let me know what your experience has been if you have tried this stock, yours or a friends?

Any thoughts?
    Also if you have a rifle with this setup let me know?

Thanks
    Brian
    Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need input on using a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock with a Remington 700 SPS Varmi

i have a Win. M70 .300 win mag in one. i like it, but i think i might drop the money and get a McMillan A4 stock for it. always liked the A4 style but up until last year they didn't make it in M70 Long Action.

as for the Choate USS it works great, feel is good and the adjustable cheek and recoil pads are a plus. i did had to shave some around my barrel to get it to free float, but i have a larger diameter barrel than the Rem 700 SPS. the gun shoots under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

Last edited by renegadephoenix; January 22nd, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Northampton County)

Smile Re: Need input on using a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock with a Remington 700 SPS Varmi

You gun looks great. The pitted look to the barrel is a nice touch. Did you reinforce where your bipod attaches to the gun, did you think it is needed? Also has a child our smaller women shot the rifle? I just wonder if my fiancé will be able to shot the rifle in this stock comfortably. I am about 6’ and I was told it should be fairly comfortable for me. Is there a bedding block in the stock? My understanding is as long as the bedding is sturdy and the barrel has room to free float the only other consideration for the stock is comfort and intended application, any thoughts?

Also what kind of scope and scope mount are you using?

As for the other stock, $500 is a bit out of my price range, maybe one day but I am hoping to keep the cost down and have a decent Remington 700 for the range. I’m planning to get the rifle with a scope set up for that price (dick sports). That’s why I am very interested in a $ 150 stock if it works well and has the features of a $500+ stock.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need input on using a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock with a Remington 700 SPS Varmi

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBEH View Post
    You gun looks great. The pitted look to the barrel is a nice touch. Did you reinforce where your bipod attaches to the gun, did you think it is needed? Also has a child our smaller women shot the rifle? I just wonder if my fiancé will be able to shot the rifle in this stock comfortably. I am about 6’ and I was told it should be fairly comfortable for me. Is there a bedding block in the stock? My understanding is as long as the bedding is sturdy and the barrel has room to free float the only other consideration for the stock is comfort and intended application, any thoughts?

the spot where the bipod attaches is robust to the point i don't feel it needs reinforced. i've had a few women shoot this rifle, the stock is a tad long for women shorter than 5"3". there is a full lenght aluminum bedding block that the receiver fits snuggly to. yea, once it is bedded and free floated you sill have no issues at all.

Also what kind of scope and scope mount are you using?

the Scope is a Leupold Mk4 M3 3.5-10x40mm TMR illuminated reticle the base is made by Farrel and the rings are Night Force.

As for the other stock, $500 is a bit out of my price range, maybe one day but I am hoping to keep the cost down and have a decent Remington 700 for the range. I’m planning to get the rifle with a scope set up for that price (dick sports). That’s why I am very interested in a $ 150 stock if it works well and has the features of a $500+ stock.

once you buy the rifle and get the new stock, invest in High Quality Optics, base and rings. otherwise you will be limited in what the rifle i capable of doing.
    my response in red.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Northampton County)

Thumbs up Re: Need input on using a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock with a Remington 700 SPS Varmi

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    my response in red.
    thanks again this is the kind of input i needed, i wish you lived closer so I could take a look at and maybe shot the rifle, oh well

thanks
    Brian

(Allegheny County)

Brian, i will be out in York for the 2nd Amendment 2nd to None rally in April.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Northampton County)

Exclamation Re: Need input on using a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock with a Remington 700 SPS Varmi

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind, but I hope I have the rifle in the stock by then or I may self-combust.....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBEH View Post
    Does anyone in the Lehigh Valley area have a Remington 700 in a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock (U.S.S.)?

I am looking into buying a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and dropping it into the U.S.S. I would like to take a look at (maybe shoot, I’ll bring ammo) and talk to the current owner. I have heard such mixed comments on this stock. Some say they are junk and to spend the extra hundred and buy a bell & carlson tactical medalist stock instead (out of stock most places). The U.S.S. is around 160 and the Bell is about 230. Others seem to swear by them saying they are just as good as far more expensive stocks. I really like the look and adjustability of the U.S.S. I just want to make sure it’s a comfortable fit so I’m not throwing away money, which is tight right now. I have read that you need to modify the area where you mount a bipod, other than that are they plug and play? Also will this stock limit accuracy? From what I understand it has a bedding block and allows the barrel to free float. Let me know what your experience has been if you have tried this stock, yours or a friends?

Any thoughts?
    Also if you have a rifle with this setup let me know?

Thanks
    Brian
    Howdy Brian, good to see you posting up some threads on the forum again . LOL, I did exaggerate a little before when I said they were junk, but I will stand by what I said that I think the Bell & Carlson stock is a cut above the Choate super sniper. Almost every time I've seen someone compare a U.S.S. stock to th "more expensive stocks", it's someone that can't afford a more expensive stock, and who for the most part is unschooled in LR shooting. Just because the stock allows the rifle to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards, doesn't mean anything about what it'll do long range and how repeatable it is. The fact of the matter is that with good handloads, I get get most Remington 700's that are still in their tupperware stocks that aren't even free floated to shoot those kind of groups at 100 yards. Kind of what that says to me is that the these particular stock don't do anything special, mainly they change the look, which I'll get into later.

The first thing that any serious LR shooter thinks when they see this stock is "wannabe sniper" or "mall ninja". Not everybody that has one of these stocks is that obviously, but that's what it screams. I know people will say "well it was designed by the famous John Plaster", etc. Well that's all fine and dandy, but it's still a fact that the reason he attached his name to it was so that it would help sell the product, and I'm sure he was given a limited budget on what could be done with the stock. You'll notice that the big boys like McMillan, Manners, and lots of others don't have to attach names to their stocks or say anything about "sniper"; it's because the stocks speak for themselves.

The stocks aren't as adjustable as they like everyone to think. It only has 2 cheek pieces, one that's lower, and one that's higher. It has a wheel in the back that you can use to raise or lower the back of the rifle. That's all fine and dandy when you're on a bench, and might actually work sometimes, but most of the time in the field or prone, it won't. It's one of those things that looks cool, but in the end you'll probably end up using a sandsock or something like that in your non firing hand. The Anschultz free rail in the front of the stock is a nice feature, but it's so short that you don't really get much benefit out of it.

When people say that it has a "full length bedding block", they're INCORRECT. It does have a "bedding block" sort of, but it's NOT full length. Here's a photo to prove the point.

A "full length beding block" would run from the rear action screw ALL THE WAY into the fore end of the stock. The "full length bedding block" in HS Precision and Bell & Carlson stocks are this way. The U.S.S is NOT this way, it's just in the action area. I believe it's one solid piece and not 2, and tha the metal is molded into the plastic of the stock, you just can't see it around the magazine area. Either way, it's pretty obvious that it doesn't run all the way through the foreend, not even part of it. Sure it's some hard dupont plastic stuff, but no matter how much people want it to be, it's not going to be as rigid as aluminum that runs to almost the end of the forestock. IF by some chance it wasn't even one solid piece for the action screws (which I don't know for sure that it's 1 piece), it means that if the got these slightly offline, which would be easy to do, it could induce stress in the action and decrease accuracy and consistency. If it's 2 pieces, it's not any different than if you had a sloppy pillar bedding job.

All in all, they're an "ok" stock. You may not care if people think it's "mall ninja-esque", and if that's the case, you might like the stock. Either way, for as heavy and large as they are, I think they should be as rigid as the Bell & Carlson stocks, and they're not. I think you could probably get a take off Remington 700P or 5R stock for probably the same amount of money if you were willing to wait around and it's an HS Precision. The serious names in tactical rifle stocks are McMillan, Manners, Accuracy International, H.S. Precision, Wild Dog, and now Terry Cross' KMW Sentinel. Bell & Carlson are comparabe in ever way to the HS Precision, but most people think the HS Precision is better because it cost more, even though it's not. I don't say any of this to try to insult anyone or bust anybody's balls, but that's just how I feel about the U.S.S.; there's better stocks available for a little more money. I guess I'm the dissenter here, we'll see if any others chime in.

First off i have the uss stock for my remington 700 chambered in 3 different sizes..the uss stock is aluminum pillow bedded and it has aluminum in the material the full length of the stock and around it as well..in my opinion it is better than the bell stocks..it does not have as good od adjustments factory as the higher priced ones have, but for half the money you can make it adjust better than theres as i have on all three..the barrel free floats in my opinion better than the higher priced stocks..very very rigid stock.its heavy because its very well made and will not flex when shooting.it needs no support no where because its that well made. the recoil lug is aluminum and very nicely bedded to hold the action and the receiver very nicely.. one is on a 270 chamber that i have shot over 1000 rounds through at 500 to 800 yards with 1/2 moa or better according to my eye sight..lol..none the less you can go buy a expensive stock if you like to waste money but the uss stock is all you need..for $75.00 you can havethe rear stock fully adjustable with about 1 hour worth of your time and $75.00 worth of parts and be made to your exact specs..the uss offers as much or moree accuracy as any yes any stock made out there..everyone has a opinion i realize that, im stating facts..ive been comp. shooting for 15 years and have owned, shot, borrowed, qualified with a bunch of rifles with a bunch of stocks..none compare to the uss after you spend the $75.00 and mod it to you and your shooting styles..i have one chambered in 243, one in 308, one in 270..either will shoot 500 to 800 yards with 1/2 moa or better any day or night..the 270 has made many 1200 yard shots on a uss stock..im gonna stop now..at the and of the day you have as much of a stock with the uss as any other stock unless your buying one for a name..as far as quality none better..so if you like another name and want to sport that name theres plenty out there but if you want to shoot straight and repetitive the uss stock is all you could ever need and can be designed for any color scheme you like very cheap and you dont have to worry if you should scratch it cause you made it to start with so you can fix it just as easy..