Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default When we are most vulnerable.

I had a dream a few nights ago and it dawned on me it could be a potentially real and life threatening situation. I would like your thoughts on the following scenario.

Lets say you just woke up from bed, you're obviously still a little sleepy and groggy. You may be wearing sweatpants or underwear.... whatever you wear to bed. You get out of bed, it's early. You go down to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee, use the restroom, then you notice the back door is cracked open, and the handle broken.

You look around and notice some stuff shuffled around. Someone has/had broken in. Then you realize there is a silhouette of a man in your living room with a knife, gun or other weapon in his hand... he must have been hiding when you were moving around before you noticed the door. He is the only way between you and your handgun and phone sitting on your nightstand in your bedroom.

A couple of points I'd like to make before you answer are this. First it's early, you aren't on top of your game, you are still sleepy and groggy. So you may be on a low condition yellow or even a white. Second, you are in your sweatpants. I don't know about you but generally I don't get up from bed and immediately change into jeans and a belt so I can strap my gun on, especially if I'm getting ready to take a shower shortly. I wait to do that until after I get a shower. A gun would tug on your sweatpants. Third I'm not the type of person to carry a gun around in my hand at home.

Given the above scenario what would you do?

Default Re: When we are most vulnerable.

In that case, I would have to resort to hand-to-hand combat training, try as best I could to disarm said assailant. True I might bite it going this route, but I'd much rather go out fighting for what's mine than die a bitch.

(Berks County)

If i were unable to get to my gun, I would grab the nearest thing that i could make a weapon of and charge the bastard. However i believe this would never happen in my house. I have a 100 pound American Bulldog that says so.

(Monroe County)

I sleep with my gun clipped into the carry handle of my mattress via an IWB holster. i typically sleep in shorts or draw string pants (scrubs or athletic) when i wake up i always clip on my gun and holster before i even leave my room.

maybe its just me....but....problem solved.

(Lehigh County)

In this scenario I would charge the BG. I wouldn't know his intent and would do what I could to atleast alert my family he was in the house and keep him occupied long enough for my wife to get to one of my guns and get the kids out.

Hopefully my 70+ pound pit bull would all over this guy long before I get there. She is not a violent animal, but I know she would get real nasty real quick if someone tried to hurt my family.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by busa dave View Post
    If i were unable to get to my gun, I would grab the nearest thing that i could make a weapon of and charge the bastard. However i believe this would never happen in my house. I have a 100 pound American Bulldog that says so.
    1. My American Bulldog is only 80 pounds but she still is not anyone you want to meet in the dark.

2. I have a gun next to my bed and one in the kitchen, my two favorite places

3. Being an Ex-Ranger and PSA, I may be a little out of shape but think i could handle myself if backed into a corner

(Lackawanna County)

in the case you described, the is really only one choice: accept the fact that you're probably going to die, grab the nearest object that can be used as a weapon, and throw yourself gleefully at him.

I went back and re-read the scenario, several times. I am going to go with the intruder is now between you and the bedroom where your defensive weapons are located, including a phone. Some mix up with language on this part in the sentence.

Given this scenario and no mentioning of doing the Air Sucking sound of I'm scared shitles upon seeing the silhouette, I think I would ingore that I saw the guy and make my way out of the house.

Why? The guy is frozen and watching you. He is not wanting to be caught or fight or he would have already attacked. Provide him the opportunity he desires, escape. I am unprepared to attack or defend at this point so fiening that I saw him and exiting is my choice.

I am not married at this time, no kids, no others to protect. My goal, and the goal of everyone should be to live through the encounter. This decision would of course change if I had other responsibiities, namely, family.
    Last edited by customloaded; January 21st, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

(Cumberland County)

yell back door at the top of my lungs.... 170lb great dane comes running down the steps to make sure their is no one in the house but not everyone has that option

(Philadelphia County)

If I'm in the kitchen I'm grabbing the biggest frying pan and a butcher knife if the guy has a knife. If he has a gun, well I don't know. I'd like to say I'd run at him with the frying pan and hope he misses or the frying pan deflects the bullet...but who knows?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast