Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Finally ready to buy a revolver

I just got a $300 paycheck that I wasn't expecting from my old job (thought it would only be around $100), now I have some spending money.

I am going to use the gun as a BUG and as a range gun. I am not looking to wear the gun on my ankle... IWB or pocket would be fine. I mentioned that I want to take it to the range and practice a lot, so I don't want a gun that will blister up the web of my hand with snappy recoil. Because of this, I've been avoiding the air weight frames and looking at slightly heavier guns. SA is also a plus because I love shooting SA, simple as that.

Any ideas? S&W 60 is what I'm looking at now... haven't really looked at the Rugers yet.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Finally ready to buy a revolver

Well, I'm a bit prejudiced (I like and collect Rugers) and I really like the SP101 with the 2 1/4 bbl. SS so it's easy to maintain. SA/DA. You can go with a .357 mag or a .38+P. A set of Hogues makes it very comfortable to shoot. As rugged a gun as you can get.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Dual purpose range and BUG means that you probably should look at a 3" bbl or better. A 357 Mag would be a good choice because of the ability to load-down to 38SPL.

Ruger and Taurus come to mind. I just gave my son a Taurus M85 3" airweight 38, and it is fun and easy to shoot. If the issue of recoil arises, you might not want the airweight, but as a BUG, that might be a favorable factor.

Choices - - - "What do you want, and what are you prepared to give up to get it?"

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

$300 will just about pay for a brand new Taurus 85. The stainless steel version weighs 21 ounces, which will be a little more pleasant with +Ps than the ultralight, and with target loads or wadcutters should be quite nice.

My wife's 85 ultralight was a very good gun, quite accurate and trouble free. I liked it enough that I'm strongly considering putting one on layaway tomorrow.

The SP101 is a superb gun, one of my favorites, but it's pretty heavy for pocket carry. It is quite pleasant to shoot, though, with +Ps, and some .357 loads. I didn't care a bit for full power 125 grain loads, but I don't like those from 4" guns either. You'd have to get a used one, though, and have to look pretty hard for even a used one at $300.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Monroe County)

A smith model 60 is going to run you $619, a Ruger SP is going to Run you $485, for $ 300 you can get a nice quality Rossi model 461 or 462 stainless, you can do a trigger job and lighten it up yourself, the trigger i mean.

There is a lot of police trade in model 64 on the market from J&G going for $300-399,

I just bought a Taurus model 941 in .22 mag, dynamite gun, i did the trigger of course.

For $300 you are limited, wait untill tax time and get that Model 60 you like , its possibly Smith's best gun.

Nyman , i'm baaack

(Montgomery County)

Sit on the money and do some shopping. The used guns at Surplus City and Tanners can be real gems. Do your reading on how to inspect a used revolver to see if it does not have major problems. Here is a vid on how to inspect a smith revolver:

Note, when buying a Ruger the ejector rod will not be straight and it does not matter.

Do a search on how to check the timing on a revolver. And rock on...

A real gun, is a wheel gun (According to Clint Smith)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    A smith model 60 is going to run you $619, a Ruger SP is going to Run you $485, for $ 300 you can get a nice quality Rossi model 461 or 462 stainless, you can do a trigger job and lighten it up yourself, the trigger i mean.

There is a lot of police trade in model 64 on the market from J&G going for $300-399,

I just bought a Taurus model 941 in .22 mag, dynamite gun, i did the trigger of course.

For $300 you are limited, wait untill tax time and get that Model 60 you like , its possibly Smith's best gun.

Nyman , i'm baaack
    I could have swore I saw a guy selling a Smith 60 for $250 the other day.

I did just get the check for 300... but I do have some more money to spend than just that . Thanks for the price quotes.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Sit on the money and do some shopping. The used guns at Surplus City and Tanners can be real gems. Do your reading on how to inspect a used revolver to see if it does not have major problems. Here is a vid on how to inspect a smith revolver:

Note, when buying a Ruger the ejector rod will not be straight and it does not matter.

Do a search on how to check the timing on a revolver. And rock on...

A real gun, is a wheel gun (According to Clint Smith)
    Nice vid. Thanks man. I'll have to check out those places next time I'm in the area.

(York County)

I'd vote for the Taurus 856. Same as their 85 but holds 6 rounds instead of 5. They go for around $330 near me.

Keep looking at Budsgunshop.com and gunbroker.com You can get some very good deals at gun broker especialy if you find one with no reserve that no one is bidding on. Buds has a special snubby section and very good prices.
    [SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast