Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Delco Field and Stream Anyone a member?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    I used to shoot table trap and trap there years ago, but I have sold off my shotguns. I always had a blast doing that. I did one of the shoots in the early 90s, it was tons of fun. They had all kinda of clay throwers, do they still have them all? I may get into it again, just deciding on what shotgun to get.
    Don't get me wrong about DCFS, it is one of the nicest clubs/ranges around. Its just the ROs really need to get over the "good old boy" syndrome and realize that most of the people there for some fun and not everyone likes to take 5 minutes to talk in between each shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    Its not their talking that bothers me, I enjoy talking about shooting as much as the next guy. Its the way they treat/look at you if you are there punching holes in the paper or knocking down the metal plates quicker than them. My wife and I keep pretty good groups in the center of the targets and knock down the metal targets on a consistent basis with 22s. If she can ring the metal plate 5 times rather quick, there shouldn't be a problem. Our shots are never just fired to hear the guns go bang.
    My bad, looked like the talking bothered you from the first post.

(Delaware County)

I've been a member for several years and overall I am happy with DCF&S. There have been a lot of changes taking place over the last few years and they have all been positive. The new leadership seems to get it so I look forward to more improvements in the future.

As for the ranges, each one seems to have it's own culture, some good some much less than good. I've never had any trouble at small bore but I tend to shoot on Sunday afternoons so it's completely deserted. I've heard lots of complaints about the pistol range ROs but I've never been hassled there. (again, could just be my Sunday afternoon habit) Table Trap is the best by far, every RO I've met has gone out of their way to _make sure_ I'm having fun shooting, even to the point of giving me various odd-shaped/sized clays to shoot at and offering to drag out some of their colletion of odd-ball throwers. I've thought about giving the Trap ranges a try but there seems to be an impenetrable veil of cliqueishness that covers that place so I've yet to give it a shot.

Once I buy the M1 I've got my eye on I'm gonna have a go at the Hi-Power range. Can't wait!
    Last edited by Rik Bitter; September 1st, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

(Montgomery County)

We went shooting yesterday afternoon and had a good time. The small bore range was filled so we did pistol first and then walked down after about 1 hour and the small bore range was almost empty. We even had the place to our selves for a while. No complaints at all, all ROs were pretty good. Although the RO at the small bore range was completely missing the point of one guy's question there and just frustrated the shooter into leaving. I do have a baseball size knot on my shin from banging it on one of the benches, but it was still a good day.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rik Bitter View Post
    Once I buy the M1 I've got my eye on I'm gonna have a go at the Hi-Power range. Can't wait!
    Well DCF&S is a CMP affiliated club, so the only other thing you'll need to buy an M1 from the CMP is proof of marksmanship activity. They'll accept a copy of a PA LTCF if you have one. If not, just show up to a match one weekend and shoot in it. You can then send the CMP a copy of the match report along with a few hundred dollars and you'll have your M1 delivered to your door in a few weeks.

We used to have a Garand-only league on the High Power range but it got opened up to any military rifle (semi auto or bolt) last year in order to get more shooters on the line. Your Garand will still be welcomed though. Lots of guys still shoot theirs, including me.

(Delaware County)

I notice the cliques there but I think it is just a matter of guys who have known each other for a long time. I run in, shoot and leave so I don't expect to make tons of friends although I have met some really nice people at pistol and HP range. I am pretty sure the RO at the pistol range thinks I am a moron since every time he is there somebody has shot the retractable target and I am trying to figure out how to attach a target. I just bought an M1A so I am planning to spend a lot of time at the HP range. In fact, I am going there this morning.

(Delaware County)

FYI, we're running a benchrest match this morning on the High Power range. We are expecting over 40 shooters so it will be crowded and you might want to consider coming up after noon. We do have an iron sight class though so you could shoot your M1A in the match if you want to.

(Delaware County)

Table Trap FUN SHOOT today, noon to whenever the last guy/gal is done, come on out for some fun.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    FYI, we're running a benchrest match this morning on the High Power range. We are expecting over 40 shooters so it will be crowded and you might want to consider coming up after noon. We do have an iron sight class though so you could shoot your M1A in the match if you want to.
    Yeah, I ran into that. Impressive turnout. Ended up well since I wandered up to the pistol range and got to try my first action match. I would like trying a benchrest match one day as well. Thanks!

(Delaware County)

Hi i hate to bring up dead threads but i just moved to brookhaven and really looking for a place to shoot with my wife and i can hear the shoots from field and stream, are there any members here that would be able to sign off on the membership app.. thank you for any response.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mgilroy311 View Post
    Hi i hate to bring up dead threads but i just moved to brookhaven and really looking for a place to shoot with my wife and i can hear the shoots from field and stream, are there any members here that would be able to sign off on the membership app.. thank you for any response.

Your best bet is to show up on a Sunday AM around 10:30. The clubhouse will have several folks in it BS'ing and eating breakfast. Ask for a membership application at the office window. Introduce yourself to to some members and they will sign your application. You also need a club officer to sign off so ask them to point one out to you and introduce yourself to him or her and ask them to sign your app. You may get asked to show your ID and/or to show that you're an NRA member. ID should be no problem. If you're not an NRA member then explain that you're just getting into shooting and haven't joined the NRA yet. NRA membership is not a requirement for DCF&S but some guys will at least ask if you're a member (which you should be).

I'm a range officer so can sign your app for you. PM me and I'll let you know if I'll be there this weekend. Chances are I'll be on the HP range on Sunday AM but PM me first and we can arrange a meet-up and I can introduce you to some other members who can sign your application.

You will then need to attend Orientation which starts at Noon on Sundays. It takes about an hour. You'll tour the club grounds on foot and get a lecture on each range. After that you're good to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast