Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Challenge

(Lackawanna County)

Default A Challenge

okay, i've been combing the interwebs with a headlice comb for nearly two years now. i've been searching, and searching, and searching, with no success, any story of a person open carrying, who was targeted by a criminal, because they were visibly armed.

i know that police officers across the world get targeted. this is an unfortunate part of their job; criminals who don't want to be caught, and maniacs who need a target for their unspeakable rage, will sometimes actively seek out a badge, to kill them. but, is this because of their guns, or their uniforms? i'm convinced it's the latter.

in all my searching, i've come across exactly one story of a man in VA who was targeted by thugs; they knew he carried a gun, wanted his gun, so he was targeted. other than this, nothing.

i'm asking anyone and everyone who has a legitimate story of a non-LEO being targeted for violence to post it, with sources to verify it. i think the absence of posts in this thread will prove a point, that all the myths use to discourage open carry are just that: MYTHS. maybe, with a little work, we can put this issue to rest, at least for awhile.

get to work, people!

(Pike County)

Default Re: A Challenge

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    Would not load for me - Got the header then a blank page. Was there an official Police report and news link?

(York County)

Not provided., Here's the post:

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Default My career-ending line of duty injury
    Hello, everyone. I'm posting this thread to tell everyone about a recent incident that effectively ended my security career.

At approximately 2345 on 16 Jan, I had just left my post at the check cashing store where I was employed. My plan was to head to my apartment, which is located just across the street, check my mail, drop off my newspaper and the tupperware container in which I had brought my lunch, and head back out to my next gig, which is as a bouncer at a nightclub.

Anyway, as I was approaching the entrance to my apartment complex, a guy wearing dark clothing was walking in my direction. As we passed each other, when he got behind me, he turned around and shot me. Even though I was wearing level III body armor underneath my shirt, the bullet hit me right above it, next to my shoulder blade. I fell to the ground in a heap, my right arm (which is my shooging arm), crumpled in a heap next to me. The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.

I was able to get right up, and I searched on my duty belt for my cell phone, which I was unable to locate. I was able to gather up my things and get inside and up to my apartment and used the phone in there to call 911. The police arrived first, and the respondinf officer took me downstairs to wait for the ambulance to arrive. Upon getting down there, I learned that another woman who lived in my building was sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot when the incident happened, and she also called the police. She also located my cell phone and returned it to me when I got downstairs.

I was admitted to the hospital at 0020 on 17 January, where, after a CT scan was done on me, it was determined that I get transferred. I was transferred to the hosptial's southern campus at 0630.

I just got released today. During my 11 day stay, I had the bullet, which was lodged in the front of my neck, removed, and I began physical therapy to regain the use of my right arm. So now begins a rigorous regimen of physical therapy. I'll keep everyone updated.

While I am at times bitter about the end of my career and my independence being taken away from me, I'm just happy to be alive, and happy that the guy didn't hurt me worse than he did.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don T. View Post
    Not provided., Here's the post:

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Default My career-ending line of duty injury
    Hello, everyone. I'm posting this thread to tell everyone about a recent incident that effectively ended my security career.

At approximately 2345 on 16 Jan, I had just left my post at the check cashing store where I was employed. My plan was to head to my apartment, which is located just across the street, check my mail, drop off my newspaper and the tupperware container in which I had brought my lunch, and head back out to my next gig, which is as a bouncer at a nightclub.

Anyway, as I was approaching the entrance to my apartment complex, a guy wearing dark clothing was walking in my direction. As we passed each other, when he got behind me, he turned around and shot me. Even though I was wearing level III body armor underneath my shirt, the bullet hit me right above it, next to my shoulder blade. I fell to the ground in a heap, my right arm (which is my shooging arm), crumpled in a heap next to me. The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.

I was able to get right up, and I searched on my duty belt for my cell phone, which I was unable to locate. I was able to gather up my things and get inside and up to my apartment and used the phone in there to call 911. The police arrived first, and the respondinf officer took me downstairs to wait for the ambulance to arrive. Upon getting down there, I learned that another woman who lived in my building was sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot when the incident happened, and she also called the police. She also located my cell phone and returned it to me when I got downstairs.

I was admitted to the hospital at 0020 on 17 January, where, after a CT scan was done on me, it was determined that I get transferred. I was transferred to the hosptial's southern campus at 0630.

I just got released today. During my 11 day stay, I had the bullet, which was lodged in the front of my neck, removed, and I began physical therapy to regain the use of my right arm. So now begins a rigorous regimen of physical therapy. I'll keep everyone updated.

While I am at times bitter about the end of my career and my independence being taken away from me, I'm just happy to be alive, and happy that the guy didn't hurt me worse than he did.
    With a lack of Police report and associated news article I will reserve the right to do what a wise mane once said: Trust but Verify.

My Bold:
    The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.
    It sounds to me that the BG KNEW this person had a weapon B4 robbing him. What I mean by this is that he probably knew him to be a guard at the check cashing place and saw him there with a gun. I would compare this to knowing a cop has a firearm and attacking him for said gun.

I back this up by the fact that the BG ONLY wanted the gun as per the GG's own statement.

Seems awfully coincidental that the BG happened to be at the exact spot with a gun when the GG got off work......

JMHO

(Monroe County)

For the perp to be where I was going to be seems to suggest that he knew that was where I was going to be, and that's why he positioned himself there.
    So according to the GG he thinks this was a set up. He was a known armed security guard and he had a pattern of exit from his job. So I don't consider this a good example of what Jah is looking for.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheF00L View Post
    With a lack of Police report and associated news article I will reserve the right to do what a wise mane once said: Trust but Verify.

My Bold:

It sounds to me that the BG KNEW this person had a weapon B4 robbing him. What I mean by this is that he probably knew him to be a guard at the check cashing place and saw him there with a gun. I would compare this to knowing a cop has a firearm and attacking him for said gun.

I back this up by the fact that the BG ONLY wanted the gun as per the GG's own statement.

Seems awfully coincidental that the BG happened to be at the exact spot with a gun when the GG got off work......

JMHO
    Agreed. Also, if he was an armed security guard, I'm not sure this would fit Jahwarrior's definition. Tootie beat me to it.
    Last edited by Don T.; January 21st, 2010 at 09:13 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Jah, and i are looking for the same thing, an ordinary oaverage joe who OCs being shot first and formost in a crime because he was armed and singled out first.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I am sure that many will be interested to see any evidence also.

btw: that "post" although possible, sounds like bs, and without verification thats how I see it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Jah, and i are looking for the same thing, an ordinary oaverage joe who OCs being shot first and formost in a crime because he was armed and singled out first.
    Good luck on this search. There are far to few civilian OCers out there to generate any kind of data like that. Even if it did happened, it probably would never get reported that way. How are they to know for sure the OCer was targeted unless the assailant fessed up?
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast