Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Anywhere in York you cant CC?

yeah the courthouse downtown is off limits but don't forget about district justice courthouses too.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

(York County)

No CCW in the "Gonorrhea" Mall???

Where's that stated?? I've been carrying in that mall for 20yrs!!

The PO is a questionable arguement, although I don't want to be the one to test it. It's stated on the sign under exceptions; "the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."

If you carry a gun into a Federal facility with the intent to commit a crime, then it would seem pretty obvious that you are not engaged in “lawful purposes.” However, if you carry a concealed weapon, with a valid concealed weapons permit, and you are not intending to commit any crimes in the facility, you should be well within the meaning of “lawful purposes.”

This does not mean that you won’t be harassed or even arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in the P O. Keep in mind that law enforcement can do anything they want until you can have a Judge tell them they can’t. And that can run in to some serious lagal fees! Some LEO's do not know the full scope of where citizens can legally carry firearms, and thus it leaves room for error.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by culpepermm View Post
    yeah the courthouse downtown is off limits but don't forget about district justice courthouses too.
    As with all other court facilities in PA, Declare you are legally carrying and they are required store it for you. The sheriff's deputies at the York county Judicial Center(courthouse) know the drill. District Justice facilities are required to do the same although many claim they don't know.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re

Anyone kno if carry at the smokey bones resturant is "off limits" im taking my fiance there friday 4 her birthday.

(York County)

Default Re: Re

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat187 View Post
    Anyone kno if carry at the smokey bones resturant is "off limits" im taking my fiance there friday 4 her birthday.
    cant say for sure but there is no sign there. Logans didn't have any issues with carry the 1 time we went there. food was good, i recommend it.
    let us know how it works out for you.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    I just received my CC permit and wondering if there is any places people know of in the York area that you cannot carry, example: Galleria Mall. I know the basics like the courthouse and the post office. Any info is awesome thanks!
    Legally you can carry just about anywhere except what is prohibited by the UFA. Basically schools, courthouses, prisons and federal property. Otherwise the most they can do if you are discovered is ask you to leave... failure can lead to a trespassing charge. Signs hold little to no legal water in PA.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Re

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat187 View Post
    It's not legally off limits. As I mentioned though, you can be asked to leave if discovered or face trespassing charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Legally you can carry just about anywhere except what is prohibited by the UFA. Basically schools, courthouses, prisons and federal property. Otherwise the most they can do if you are discovered is ask you to leave... failure can lead to a trespassing charge. Signs hold little to no legal water in PA.
    Please stop!!!!!!!!!

Yes, signs do hold legal weight in Pa.

Hint, attend a Gunlawyer001 Seminar...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Please stop!!!!!!!!!

Yes, signs do hold legal weight in Pa.

Hint, attend a Gunlawyer001 Seminar...
    Enlighten me please. If I were to walk into a McDonalds that had a "No Gun" sign... I know that legally I could not be arrested for that. At most I could be asked to leave or face trespassing charges.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Enlighten me please. If I were to walk into a McDonalds that had a "No Gun" sign... I know that legally I could not be arrested for that. At most I could be asked to leave or face trespassing charges.
    McDonalds is private property as is any other business. In general a member of the general public is allowed on their property as a business invitee. They have every right to post reasonable ‘conditions of entry’ that in essence make the ‘invitation’ contingent on those conditions and withdraws the ’invitation’ from those in non-compliance.

When a sign of such conditions comes to one’s attention prior to entry and one subsequently enters in non-compliance they become intruders, ie someone who enters private property knowing they have no permission to do so. This is a violation of 18 PA CSA 3503(b)

(b) Defiant trespasser.--

(1) A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:
    (i) actual communication to the actor;
    (ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;
    (iii) fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders;
    (iv) notices posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the person's attention at each entrance of school grounds that visitors are prohibited without authorization from a designated school, center or program official; or
    (v) an actual communication to the actor to leave school grounds as communicated by a school, center or program official, employee or agent or a law enforcement officer.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it is a summary offense.
    From a practical standpoint, if discovered, most business owners would prefer to tell you to leave and end the issue. They know that to prosecute is time and money that they would rather dedicate to more productive pursuits. However just the fact that the entry was made without permission is a violation that is prosecutable without a verbal warning. You certainly could be legally arrested simply for going in.

This issue was discussed some time ago and, as Fingers80002 indicated, GL1 and others have concluded that signs do indeed carry weight as far as trespass charging.
    IANAL

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast