Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default IWB holster for fat guys?

So I'm kinda big bellied and have some love handles on the sides and such. I have been using a iwb plain jane soft holster from Blackhawk, it works pretty well, but I don't like the fact that there isn't anything that prevents someone from just coming up behind me and grabbing the gun out of my waist.

So I'd like something that has a snap or whatever to keep the gun in place, but has the same benefits as the soft iwb holster (comfort, good concealability, limited printing, etc)

Any suggestions? Again - looking for IWB for conceal carry, and if you've got a big belly and tell me what works for you that would be great, thanks.

Default Re: IWB holster for fat guys?

I have a blackhawk and it's not bad. I have a Kholster and it's darn comfy. I have a homemade leather that works pretty good. I use a "Tommy's Gun Pack" sometimes and it works great. I just made a Kydex IWB and it needs a couple "refinements" but overall ain't too bad. Never satisfied I guess. Kydex is cheap and very easy to work with. Fun too. The kydex I made is for apendix carry. I need to change the cant and make it longer as the muzzle pulls my fat up into the holster when I draw. Hurts real bad! Looks like I spent some time with a lady who knows her men!
    US Army 1965-1971

(Carbon County)

I'm a short fat guy!! anyway glock-19 with milt sparks summer special 2($90)..nice holster sits low in the waistband..galco has a summer comfort.($59).the same almost ,,except the milt sparks is a little better made,.these don't have a strap or snaps tho..a galco fletch has a strap ..might be good for you..
    Last edited by suzukirider; January 20th, 2010 at 06:09 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

i'd advise against retention devices for concealed carry. if no one can see it, what would they be grabbing for? friction fit retention is good enough; just as long as it fits snugly, that should be enough.

think about it. let's say you're in a situation where you need to draw you're gun. not only do you have to lift your shirt/throw back your jacket/reach into your pants, you'd then have to disengage any retention device holding on to your gun. that's way too slow during an emergency situation.

level II retention is good for open carry; i use a SERPA holster, and it's been working out for me. for CC, i use an El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB. i'm also on the thick side; this holster is awesome. i can sit, stand, drive, walk around, and everything, with comfort, and i carry a full size 1911.

Last edited by jahwarrior72; January 20th, 2010 at 06:35 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'd advise against retention devices for concealed carry. if no one can see it, what would they be grabbing for? friction fit retention is good enough; just as long as it fits snugly, that should be enough.

think about it. let's say you're in a situation where you need to draw you're gun. not only do you have to lift your shirt/throw back your jacket/reach into your pants, you'd then have to disengage any retention device holding on to your gun. that's way too slow during an emergency situation.

level II retention is good for open carry; i use a SERPA holster, and it's been working out for me. for CC, i use an El Paso Saddlery IWB. i'm also on the thick side; this holster is awesome. i can sit, stand, drive, walk around, and everything, with comfort, and i carry a full size 1911.
    What do you feel about clip-draw?

I know they make some systems for Kel-tec and other small framed pistols. Would this be good for a "friction retention" system as you state?

(Lackawanna County)

i've seen them. i thought about getting one for a P3AT i had, but i ended up getting a pocket holster instead, which i liked. clip-draws look like they might be a good alternative. i'd only worry about the finish of the slide: Keltecs rust fast if you sweat on them too long.

(Washington County)

Here is the other question... how much larger in size do you start buying pants for IWB carry? I haven't even considered it as buying a new wardrobe is a no go.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Here is the other question... how much larger in size do you start buying pants for IWB carry? I haven't even considered it as buying a new wardrobe is a no go.
    You could either go a size or so.. Or use it as a good excuse to try and get fit..

I asked the very same question and A LOT of guys recommend a crossbreed so thats what Im looking into
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    . for CC, i use an El Paso Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB. i'm also on the thick side; this holster is awesome. i can sit, stand, drive, walk around, and everything, with comfort, and i carry a full size 1911.

that holster looks like exactly what i been looking for but sadly they dont seem to make one for a glock 20... guess i might have to buy another gun soon nobody seems to make a good iwb holster for a glock 20 for under $80

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast