Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default ar 15 cleaning problems

Hi, got a new ar and was cleaning it before I take it to the range for the first time and I was having a hard time using my slotted patch holder to push a patch down the barrel. I was using the appropriate .22 caliber patches. It went down without the patch just not with. I would really like a .223 jag, but can't find one anywhere. Bore snake is an option but I really don't think its a substitute for a thorough cleaning with bore brush, patches and solvent. Am I doing somethin wrong?
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: ar 15 cleaning problems

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    Hi, got a new ar and was cleaning it before I take it to the range for the first time and I was having a hard time using my slotted patch holder to push a patch down the barrel. I was using the appropriate .22 caliber patches. It went down without the patch just not with. I would really like a .223 jag, but can't find one anywhere. Bore snake is an option but I really don't think its a substitute for a thorough cleaning with bore brush, patches and solvent. Am I doing somethin wrong?
    Maybe the patches were cut improperly at the factory and are a bit larger?
    I'm not sure what to tell you on that, as long as you are using a standard holder, and .22 cal patches. You could try trimming them down if need be.. IF the size in fact is the problem.

But on the bore snake... I honestly think it's the greatest thing ever. IMO, a few runs gets the bore as clean, if not cleaner than running numerous patches through. The snake is a tool EVERY gun owner should have IMO. You can still use a brush if need be, and then use the snake to mop up after. If I were you, I would give it a try at least.
    III%

(Indiana County)

One pass with a bore snake is all that is required to clean a bore. Don't be afraid of progress, Bore Snakes are the cats ass.
    Using a rod can damage your crown even when cleaning from the breech, not so with a Bore Snake.
    Also, I do recommend staying away from the OTIS kits, a quick search on the net will tell you why.

If you are going to go old school and use the rod, just trim down the patches until they work.

(Allegheny County)

+1 on a bore snake

I would try another set of patches just in case your current set are cut wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Monroe County)

.22 cal bore snake and you're problem will be solved.

if you are that picky about it, run a brush with solvent through the barrel first, then the bore snake to sop up everything after. why other using patches anymore when you can use a bore snake repeatedly, and then just wash it instead of buying more patches.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Luzerne County)

I can't say enough about bore snakes. As said, the cats ass.

Thing is, barrel steel, gun powder, primers, etc.; they've all come a long way. As long as you're using non corrosive rounds in a modern chrome lined AR barrel, a swipe or two with a snake and swab out the chamber/locking lug area and you are GTG.

I gave up on meticulously cleaning barrels.. What for? They are only gonna get all dirtied up again anyway.

That whole thorough cleaning thing is mostly a relic of the past, unless you are using relic ammo from the past.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    One pass with a bore snake is all that is required to clean a bore. Don't be afraid of progress, Bore Snakes are the cats ass.
    Using a rod can damage your crown even when cleaning from the breech, not so with a Bore Snake.
    Also, I do recommend staying away from the OTIS kits, a quick search on the net will tell you why.

If you are going to go old school and use the rod, just trim down the patches until they work.
    My google-fu is weak. Why stay away from OTIS kits? That's all I've ever cleaned a weapon with. It's what the Army issued me to clean my M-16 and my wife just got me a Really nice one...
    Fustigate (fus*ti*gate) v: To beat it with a stick while wearing one white glove.

(Philadelphia County)

the first thing you need to do is get rid of that loop patch holder, throw that piece of junk right in the trash. Then if you have managed to find a gunstore that does not have a .22 jag order one from Midway or Brownells or KleenBore. As mentioned previously, add in a boresnake, an order of SLIP2000 and you should be set for cleaning.

Constable, the Otis is an effective cleaning system, however field expedient patches are far from simple due to the method of attaching them to fit the different bores. Even with the proper patches it is not uncommon for something to get messed up and then you end up with an Otis stuck in the barrel. Check out ARFcom, I go and take a look through their Cleaning & Maintainence forums from time to time as there is usually a "help I have a patch stuck in my barrel" post at least once a month (they're always good for a laugh ) and about 90% of the time it is an Otis. If yours is working for you then by all means stick with it, it is a fine cleaning system. However this is why a large number of shooters are reluctant to adopt the system, that and it costs $60 or so for a basic kit while a USGI kit can be had for about $15. Plus a rod is always good to have around as trying to push out a stuck case with an Otis is about as effective as trying to piss up a rope, so to speak.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Constable Fuzzy View Post
    My google-fu is weak. Why stay away from OTIS kits? That's all I've ever cleaned a weapon with. It's what the Army issued me to clean my M-16 and my wife just got me a Really nice one...
    ^^^ what Legion Prime said.

I think Otis kits are overpriced and are a problem waiting to happen, but as said above, if you like them and trust them, by all means use one.
    I have heard of Bore Snakes getting stuck as well, but only when some rum-dum tried running a 30 cal one through a 25-06 and then ripped the rope off.

I keep mine separated in those little round deli containers that you get potato salad in, with the caliber size wrote on the top. They even stack up neatly this way.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Looks like a boresnake it is. Should be a hell of alot easier.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast