Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Liberty Bell and Surrounding Areas Carry

http://www.nps.gov/inde/index.htm

according to the above it is a national park so when the new national park rules go into effect in Feb open and concealed carry should be ok right?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Liberty Bell and Surrounding Areas Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    http://www.nps.gov/inde/index.htm

according to the above it is a national park so when the new national park rules go into effect in Feb open and concealed carry should be ok right?
    Not IN Federal buildings.

"Existing regulations regarding the carrying of firearms remain otherwise unchanged, particularly limitations on poaching and target practice and prohibitions on carrying firearms in federal buildings."

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Not IN Federal buildings.

"Existing regulations regarding the carrying of firearms remain otherwise unchanged, particularly limitations on poaching and target practice and prohibitions on carrying firearms in federal buildings."

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

Link does not work!

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Link does not work!

Yup, they dumped all of 2008 news releases. But I took out the quote related to this issue/question.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Dannytheman is absolutely correct. Weapon possession in a Federal facility ( building staffed by Federal workers) was/is/and remains a Federal offense per 18 USC 930

The 2/22 National Park rule change, per the Coburn amendement in PL 111-24, ONLY affects regulations promulgated by DOI and, in effect allows weapon possession comporting with the host state's laws in PARKS BUT it does not affect anything other than DOI regs. USC (US Code) is Federal statute that remains alive and well even after 2/22
    IANAL

(Cambria County)

for clarification then as of 2/22 i could carry in the constitution center since it is a privately owned facility on national park land
    The National Constitution Center is an independent, non-partisan, and non-profit organization dedicated to increasing public understanding of, and appreciation for, the Constitution, its history, and its contemporary relevance, through an interactive, interpretive facility within Independence National Historic Park and a program of national outreach, so that "We the People" may better secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.
    but not in the liberty bell building or independence hall since it is federally managed. correct?

(Chester County)

The easiest way of telling which buildings are off-limits is to look for the mandatory signage or be personally informed. You are protected if you are charged with a 930 violation absent either of these.

18 USC 920(g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
    Since it may not be evident, without intimate knowledge, as to whether the US Govt owns/leases a particular building or has entered into some form of cooperative agreement with the owner, the dispositive question is whether there are Federal employees with their duty station in the building.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

Drives me F***ing nuts

When I was a kid (12yo, that would have been 1967) I would go work with my dad on Saturdays, he worked in the Bourse Building. I would keep myself busy in the wax museum downstairs and then walk across the street and walk all around Independence Hall anywhere I wanted to go and and anything I wanted to see without anyone nipping on my heels. At that time the Liberty Bell was in Independence Hall and you would punch a little button to hear John Facenda give a narrative of it's history.

Now?
    Gotta get tickets...
    Go through metal detectors...

Where has our freedom gone?

(Northampton County)

Most recent info from the parks' web page:

http://www.nps.gov/inde/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

(Northumberland County)

A quick story about the liberty bell and surrounding buildings...
    two winters ago, my wife had a conference at the Judicial Center. We lived all our lives in PA, but never really had a chance to check out the liberty bell, Independence Hall, and all of the other good stuff. (We checked out Eastern State Penitentiary too, but that is besides the point...) The day we had set aside to visit all of the cool places was rainy and miserable. We didnt care - we set out with our umbrellas and did the deal.

My wife's cousin is sergeant with philly Pd, and I am an adult probation officer. Her cousin told me before we came down "bring a gun, better if you bring two." All right, he is a reasonable man. So, I set out CCing two pistols, one on my hip and on on my ankle. Never did it cross my mind that they were federal buildings we were visiting. When we got to the first building, my heart sunk. I was going to ruin the day for my wife and we would have to go back to the hotel, lock up my pistols, then come back.

We entered the Liberty bell exhibit first. There were 3 or 4 park rangers standing around with nothing to do (remember, it was raining... my wife and I were literally the only two in the whole building). We approached them and I cant remember why, but I told them that I was carrying firearms. I showed them my badge (sometimes it works, sometimes not) and told them my wife was in town for business and we were just sight seeing. They were a little apprehensive told me it was federal property, but called a supervisor. The supervisor asked to see my badge, I showed him and he let us through! I will never forget what he said... "If anything goes wrong, we'll handle it, okay? No need for you to start shooting." Okay pal. My wife and I went through, a different guard actually took our picture with the liberty bell, and life went on.

We then went across the street and same thing... no one there. I told the rangers that the guards at the bell just let me through, and apparently the same supervisor was in charge over there too, the woman just said, okay... have fun.

Last edited by mikepro8; February 14th, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added photo
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?