Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: I'm carrying again.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I missed that thread but I'm glad to hear that you're "back".
    Whatever the circumstances, I see that you've either had time to think things over and make some changes in your favor or think things over and make some decisions regardless of whether you were able to make those changes or not.

Either way, congratulations on being your own person and doing what you think is best.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-carrying.html

(Washington County)

Okay. I'll let you guys know what went on.

Let's back up to mid-late summer. A family friend (who owns guns) gave me a call. The gist of the call was "Your uncle told me you open carry. For my job (pilot) they did a very thorough background check." This didn't really phase me. I knew I wanted to use our right to open carry.

About 3 months ago I volunteered for a semi-volunteer fire company. I read the operating guidelines and the bylaws. I saw nothing limiting the carrying of firearms. Carry on. Only now I had decided to put the OC holster in the drawer for a change of pace.

After about a month someone saw my concealed firearm when I had bent over. My "mentor" figure approached me about it in private. He asked why I needed a firearm and if "I had a permit". He then said I shouldn't carry around the fire house. I asked why. He said it just wasn't a good idea. I took that advice under advisement.

For the next 2 weeks anytime I was responding or going to training I disarmed and placed my firearm in the trunk.

After things cooled down I resumed carrying my pocket pistol in my pocket.

About 3 weeks ago one of the louder-mouthed guys asked if I had my pistol on me. One of the chiefs overheard this.

I was brought into the station and reprimanded. I was told that even though it wasn't against the rules I can't do it. They also said that the rules will be changed.

This made me think of what my family's friend had said to me earlier in the year. I thought about the possible ramifications of having any kind of criminal record (even if I was acquitted) would be to having a possible career in the public sector.

So I posted the thread saying that I was done carrying. Mostly to stop by and thank the multitude of individuals from whom I have learned so much about this great freedom. It was not my purpose to troll or to start a flamewar.

After thinking about it for quite some more time I decided, as one of the replies say, to be true to myself.

Any more questions?

(Mercer County)

Did you quit the fire department?

Glad to hear you are carrying again...
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Did you quit the fire department?
    No. Not really thinking about it at this point. I enjoy the training and the servant aspect.

It is humiliating to the ego to have to disarm.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyf22 View Post
    Okay. I'll let you guys know what went on.

Let's back up to mid-late summer. A family friend (who owns guns) gave me a call. The gist of the call was "Your uncle told me you open carry. For my job (pilot) they did a very thorough background check." This didn't really phase me. I knew I wanted to use our right to open carry.

About 3 months ago I volunteered for a semi-volunteer fire company. I read the operating guidelines and the bylaws. I saw nothing limiting the carrying of firearms. Carry on. Only now I had decided to put the OC holster in the drawer for a change of pace.

After about a month someone saw my concealed firearm when I had bent over. My "mentor" figure approached me about it in private. He asked why I needed a firearm and if "I had a permit". He then said I shouldn't carry around the fire house. I asked why. He said it just wasn't a good idea. I took that advice under advisement.

For the next 2 weeks anytime I was responding or going to training I disarmed and placed my firearm in the trunk.

After things cooled down I resumed carrying my pocket pistol in my pocket.

About 3 weeks ago one of the louder-mouthed guys asked if I had my pistol on me. One of the chiefs overheard this.

I was brought into the station and reprimanded. I was told that even though it wasn't against the rules I can't do it. They also said that the rules will be changed.

This made me think of what my family's friend had said to me earlier in the year. I thought about the possible ramifications of having any kind of criminal record (even if I was acquitted) would be to having a possible career in the public sector.

So I posted the thread saying that I was done carrying. Mostly to stop by and thank the multitude of individuals from whom I have learned so much about this great freedom. It was not my purpose to troll or to start a flamewar.

After thinking about it for quite some more time I decided, as one of the replies say, to be true to myself.

Any more questions?
    I have an idea where you are coming from. I had a "talk" with a co-worker and the same kind of situation was presented. He "talked" to me about my OC because he was concerned about how an investigator would view it. My job requires a security clearance and I am due for renewal this year.

I still carry everywhere that it is legal. I just pretty much stopped OCing except when going to/from the range. I know what I am doing is completely legal, I just can't afford to loose my job right now.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyf22 View Post
    No. Not really thinking about it at this point. I enjoy the training and the servant aspect.

It is humiliating to the ego to have to disarm.
    I was once a vol. fireman. This was when I was 16. It was fun for a while. Took all the training that was offered. Went to the parades. Did a ton of drinking. Then I graduated from school. Started working. I spent less time at the fire dept.

Then I damaged my hand at work. Spent even less time at the fire dept.

I eventually stopped volunteering. It just became a question of going to work or going to a fire.

Paying the bills came first.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

You mean the streets are safe again??!?!?!? I can come out of my basement now?!?!?! BLESS YOU SIR!!!!!!

Haha just kidding, welcome back...

(Lancaster County)

Good for you and welcome back!
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Allegheny County)

I respect whatever decision that you make in regards to this matter.

I will ask why not stay involved in the fire department and try and defend your right to defend yourself (legally carry) during a volunteer activity. I would ask for time to address this issue at a meeting of the membership.

If you win the debate (as currently the rules do not prohibit the activity), you will have done a great service in preserving our rights, and you get to continue to serve the community.

If you lose, you still will have done more that most to educate the uneducated and you did what you could to serve the community without compromising your rights.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I was once a vol. fireman. This was when I was 16. It was fun for a while. Took all the training that was offered. Went to the parades. Did a ton of drinking. Then I graduated from school. Started working. I spent less time at the fire dept.

Then I damaged my hand at work. Spent even less time at the fire dept.

I eventually stopped volunteering. It just became a question of going to work or going to a fire.

Paying the bills came first.
    Not to get off topic, but I completely agree with this. I, too, was a volunteer firefighter/EMT. Then I got older, had other commitments, moved on from volunteering. Don't get me wrong, being a volunteer FF is a noble endeavor, but I know too many people who put the volunteer fire department far, too far ahead of their family, job, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast