Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default AR-15 Front Sight Pin Removal?

I am trying to remove the front sight on my AR 15, and watched a video that demonstrated the process at Brownells web site (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...e-267096/view/ ). I got there front site block, and have banged the hell out of the pins and they haven't budged. Is it supposed to be this hard or am I missing something. The pins dropped right out in the video, and the guy noted later that once they are out the sight itself can be tough to remove, so I'm thinking if this is supposed to be easy, and that's hard, then when I get to the 'hard part' am I going to wish I never even started? Cause I'm close now...

It's a brand new Bushmaster M4, so I'd expect it'd be as easy as it can, but it's just not happening.

Any suggestions or ideas??

Mick

(Bucks County)

Exclamation Re: AR-15 Front Sight Pin Removal?

My friend if there's something that'll make you use a BBL as a hammer.....it would definatly be the task of drifiting pins out. I've been building ARs for years and from what I noticed is that the big companies will use an Arbor Press to sink those pins in nice and tighti. I like you tried to use a 4oz hammer and brass punch to drift out 2 tape pins on a old Colt. I ended up bending the punches right to shit. Those pins were there to stay.

What you might need is a solid hammer and Brownells gas block fixture. Find yourself some good penetrating oil and soak those pins overnight. The in the morning, drench the who thing some more. After that with a few good hard whacks with a steel punch, they SHOULD come out. YMMV as other armorers like myself have had good luck right down to epic fail luck!

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR-15 Front Sight Pin Removal?

Yea, that's what I meant by the front site block. I'm just using a standard hammer, but like I said, the guy in the video just tapped and out they popped. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the advice, i was thinking about putting some PB blaster on them to see if that's help. Guess I'll give it a shot, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing it wrong or something. Again, it just looked so easy in the Brownell's video I wanted to make sure they were just doing a best case scenario or something.

(Centre County)

Also, many use tapered pins and they go in and out from a certain side. If they aren't moving, flip it to the other side and retry. As said, use a good heavy hammer and a punch that is just a tiny (very tiny) bit smaller than the pin. The FS pins are supposed to be tight so that there is no chance that the FS will move if it gets banged about out in the field. In the video, it might be that they are just showing you how they come out, not necessarily how hard they come out. I've not watched the video but I have worked on a lot of AR's and all (tapered or straight) pins were tight and you had to be pretty forceful to get them out.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Good info, again I just wanted to make sure whacking it harder whasn't the wrong way to go. I did confirm the right direction to remove them, so I guess I'll get back to it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Also, many use tapered pins and they go in and out from a certain side. If they aren't moving, flip it to the other side and retry. As said, use a good heavy hammer and a punch that is just a tiny (very tiny) bit smaller than the pin. The FS pins are supposed to be tight so that there is no chance that the FS will move if it gets banged about out in the field. In the video, it might be that they are just showing you how they come out, not necessarily how hard they come out. I've not watched the video but I have worked on a lot of AR's and all (tapered or straight) pins were tight and you had to be pretty forceful to get them out.
    this.

sometimes they loctite them too, so you might need to apply heat (soldering iron) to loosen that up as well. If necessary brownells sells a block perfectly made for the AR FSB that will aid in a stable platform for removal.

(Chester County)

Yea, none of it helped, now the sight is all scratched up and the pin is misshaped, so I'm sending all the equipment that makes it 'easy' back to Brownell's and giving up. Thanks though.

At least you tried, that's more than some folks would ever do!

(Chester County)

Good point, plus I now have the world record for F word's in a 2 hour period.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

By the way, I assume if I want to swap out the hand guard with the quqadrail I've got now, I'll have to get it to a real gunsmith to grind out the pin or something. Any ideal what I'd pay for that? I expect they'll need to grind the 'mushroomed' top off the pin, but other than that, it should be easy (i mean, really if this thing would have come off it'd been a 10 minute job! [crap, there goes another F word!])

Anyway, what should that cost me from someone competent, and any references for someone near West Chester PA?

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Good point, plus I now have the world record for F word's in a 2 hour period.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

By the way, I assume if I want to swap out the hand guard with the quqadrail I've got now, I'll have to get it to a real gunsmith to grind out the pin or something. Any ideal what I'd pay for that? I expect they'll need to grind the 'mushroomed' top off the pin, but other than that, it should be easy (i mean, really if this thing would have come off it'd been a 10 minute job! [crap, there goes another F word!])

Anyway, what should that cost me from someone competent, and any references for someone near West Chester PA?

Mick
    no reference on that side of the state. To knock out some pins and slap a guard on...I've seen anywhere in the 40-60 range depending on the smith and his shop time. He'll probably be able to get them out with a punch and a hammer since he does it for a living and is pretty versed in it.

If he doesnt get it that way...a press might be used to push them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast