Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Few Suppressor questions

First, do you think having a suppressor on a Home Defense pistol is a good or bad idea? I definatley would not want to damage my or my family hearing god forbid. Would it lend you to additional liability??

What is the best caliber to suppress? I mean what does or doesnt make sense to suppress? I imagine a 9mm subsonic or a 45 might be the best since they are lower velocity but I have no idea, what's the quieest option while still having stopping power.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Few Suppressor questions

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    First, do you think having a suppressor on a Home Defense pistol is a good or bad idea? I definatley would not want to damage my or my family hearing god forbid. Would it lend you to additional liability??

What is the best caliber to suppress? I mean what does or doesnt make sense to suppress? I imagine a 9mm subsonic or a 45 might be the best since they are lower velocity but I have no idea, what's the quieest option while still having stopping power.
    Well from what I hear other than a .22 being quiet, the .45 is very close. I havent heard one personally but the round is slow as hell so you shouldnt get that loud sonic crack out of it. As far as a suppressor on a home defense gun I dont see that being a problem at all, If its legal for you to own its legal to shoot somebody that poses an imidiate threat to your life! I have a few guns at the bed side and one is the walther with the suppressor on it. Not like Id pick it up anyhow unless a tripped over it but Id rather put my life in the hands of my .45 or the 12g. Just my .02
    Last edited by H22ate; January 19th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: ........

(Centre County)

I keep an AAC Omni on my 11.5 inch AR for HD. I have no qualms about it either, my hearing is already not the greatest, shooting that gun indoors would be hearing suicide with out a can on it.

I've discharged supersonic and subsonic 9mm and 40S&W with out hearing protection in a enclosed room before, don't expect to be able to hear immediately after that.

The one down side to a suppressor (and a properly set up gun this should be an issue) is that depending on the type having the weight out there may cause the gun to be more prone to having a malfunction. Food for thought.

Right now HD handgun is a Sig p229, once my silencerco Osprey gets here and proves itself reliable on the HK USP45 tac that will become the new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Armstrong County)

Well im pretty sure none of us are lawyers, except Gunlawyer001 LOL, and he may chime in here.
    I personally dont see a problem with a can on a HD weapon, thats where mine is. But im sure some how, some way, there will be a "stink" about it if you use it. I say screw it until im told other wise. Its my home, i'll defend it how i want. If i want motion tripped flame throwers and 8" saw blades zipping out of the wall i will

As far as caliber, 22LR pistol is by far the easiest to suppress. It is the smallest in diameter, which results in the smallest opening for gas to esacpe the can. Sure a 45ACP is slower, already subsonic. But the hole at the end of the can is almost a 1/2". Big differnce.
    A 9mm sub-sonic would be #2 for quiet.

Have you ever heard a suppressor in real life?
    If not, try to meet up with a memeber here that has a few cans and listen to them for yourself. That will give you the best answer instead of "buy this can" on the internet.

(Berks County)

I don't see why it would be illegal, but another question is, would it be practical?

When you shoot someone in a home defense situation, don't they take the pistol for a period of time as well? If that's the case, there goes your suppressor for a time.

Another thing is, I'd want to make the most noise I possibly could. If there are multiple bad guys in different areas, shots fired might send them running, which might be a good thing. Conversely, they may converge on you, but I'd put more money on them fleeing.

Also, the noise would hopefully alert neighbors, if you have them. Neighbors calling 911, in case you were unable to, could help.

(Schuylkill County)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is the main purpose for suppressors being legal in PA, is home defense.

However, like crlovel said, my hearing is about he last thing I'm going to worry about. It won't be prolonged shooting(hopefully), and the more noise the better in most cases.

A few downsides to think about though:

1.) The "clumsiness" of the weapon increases with the added length. If you are planning to use one in HD, practice with it, maneuver with it, etc. Become familiar with it around the house.

2.) Unfortunately, suppressors don't sound like they do in the movies. There is still a crack/snap when fired. So either way, in a home, the caliber in which you are shooting through is tit for tat.. (Note: I haven't heard all of the calibers fired through suppressors, however, in a small enclosed area, I can't imagine it is going to be that much of a difference)

3.) Like someone else said, what other implications would it have as far as the LEO's. I'm not sure how they would interpret this since IANAL. Would they be required to take the weapon in full? In which case your suppressor is going too, and we all know how things can be easily lost within the system...

Just some things to think about...
    III%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post

2.) Unfortunately, suppressors don't sound like they do in the movies. There is still a crack/snap when fired. So either way, in a home, the caliber in which you are shooting through is tit for tat.. (Note: I haven't heard all of the calibers fired through suppressors, however, in a small enclosed area, I can't imagine it is going to be that much of a difference)
    From your post it sounds like you have not been around supressors much. Depending on caliber and ammo it will make a difference in a defensive shooting, especially if you are dealing with multiple home invaders.

FWIW, i heard that since a can is federal, it would be illegal for any LEO to take it without some sort or pretty high up authority, but i just heard that, i may be wrong.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    From your post it sounds like you have not been around supressors much. Depending on caliber and ammo it will make a difference in a defensive shooting, especially if you are dealing with multiple home invaders.
    I never said it wouldn't be A difference.

What's the difference between shooting a .40 unsuppressed, and a 9mm unsuppressed in a 12' x 12' room? Both are going to be loud as hell. Of course, if you go down to the decibel level, there will be an actual difference, but as far as shooting for home defense in a small room, the last thing I'm going to worry about is decibel levels and whether I should use my suppressed Glock.40, or my suppressed Ruger.9mm

Of course there is a difference in them.. there is a difference in every caliber ever created...

If one is truly worried on that level, best thing is to hear them all and make a decision. However, me personally, just give me something that will drop the threat..
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; January 28th, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
    III%

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by blysccr View Post
    FWIW, i heard that since a can is federal, it would be illegal for any LEO to take it without some sort or pretty high up authority, but i just heard that, i may be wrong.
    It's also illegal for the PSP to be requiring FFL's to register AR's as "firearms"... And for municipalities to be imposing their own anti-gun laws.

I don't know the law that would be applied here, but I do know the state doesn't give a crap most of the time and does what they want anyway...
    III%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast