Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Prvi 38 LRN

(Monroe County)

Default Prvi 38 LRN

I am having major leading issues with this ammo. It is very soft compared to my hardcast lead reloads. What is the best way to remove this stuff? Has anyone used a Lewis Lead Remover?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Prvi 38 LRN

+1 for the Lewis Lead remover. Get one, and learn how to use it right, and leading will never again bother you. Hoppe's also sells one, just like it under their brand name. Gander had them last fall, I remember seeing.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Delaware County)

I had a friend that shot ~300 rounds of that stuff at a match and leaded his barrel up so bad they were key holing at 15 feet. He gave me his revolver to clean after the match and I broke my Lewis Lead Remover plug off trying to drag it through the bore. If the leading is severe, use a few strands of copper Chore Boy scrubbing pad wrapped around an old bore brush first. I can state without fear of contradiction, getting a broken off LLR plug out of the bore is an adventure you can live without.

(Franklin County)

I just talked to my son about this stuff. He bought a box of Prvi 38SPL. and has declared it to be "an abomination". He shot it in his Taurus M85 3" airweight He says "Dirty it is, but lead-awful moreso". I just wonder what kind of lead alloy the bullets are. They looked "blacker" than my lead bullets are, and might have more than just tin and antimony. I'm thinking sulfides, like from recycled battery lead.

Flash

(Cambria County)

If the gun is stainless , use a mixture of 50/50 white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide .Only make enough to do the job because it does not store . Just plug the barrel and fill with this solution and let sit for a while , drain and run a patch through her . Repeat if necessary . It may remove bluing , that's why I said stainless , but I do use it on my blued guns and never had a problem .
    DAN

If you let the gun sit for a few days the lead will oxidize to some extent aiding removal. I've never leaded a barrel to the point I needed a Lewis Lead Remover. I found by swabbing with Hoppe's #9 until the patch comes out pretty clean, letting it sit for 5-10 minutes brush 3-5 times with a bronze brush, and repaeting the process has worked for me. It may take some time but you stand a chance of damaging the bore if you use heavy mechanical means. I let the solvent do the work.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    If you let the gun sit for a few days the lead will oxidize to some extent aiding removal. I've never leaded a barrel to the point I needed a Lewis Lead Remover. I found by swabbing with Hoppe's #9 until the patch comes out pretty clean, letting it sit for 5-10 minutes brush 3-5 times with a bronze brush, and repaeting the process has worked for me. It may take some time but you stand a chance of damaging the bore if you use heavy mechanical means. I let the solvent do the work.
    A Lewis is not really "heavy mechanical", but it is more agressive than a bristle brush. And you are right about good solvents being a help. I bought my first Lewis years ago, after shooting some rip-snortin' loads in my Ruger 44's. I also found out that what some people sell as "hard-cast" really aren't, so much. But the good solvents helped worlds.

I'm not too sure I'd want to let my revolvers sit a few days waiting for the lead to let go. I kinda want it out, like NOW !

Flash

A Lewis is not really "heavy mechanical"

I realize that but in similar situations I have seen people suggesting chucking up a stainless steel brush in a drill and scrubbing the____ out of it. That's one kind of "heavy mechanical" I was referring to.

(Franklin County)

Exclamation Re: Prvi 38 LRN

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    A Lewis is not really "heavy mechanical"

I realize that but in similar situations I have seen people suggesting chucking up a stainless steel brush in a drill and scrubbing the____ out of it. That's one kind of "heavy mechanical" I was referring to.
    Now, that's HEAVY !

Flash