Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Lightbulb North East PA Defensive Handgun training

I am interested in taking a defensive handgun course. I would love to train with Clint Smith or any of the other great gun schools but airfare and the hassle of flying with a gun make it prohibitive. Does anyone know where to go for good defensive handgun courses in North East PA?
    Last edited by JGCIII; January 19th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
    Joe

(Bucks County)

Default Re: North East PA Defensive Handgun training

Classic Pistol, I am saving for a few classes there myself.

the hassle of flying with a gun make it prohibitive.
    I've yet to do so myself, but I was under the understanding that flying with a gun wasn't too much of an issue. You just bring a secure container to put it in with a lock that only you can open and you inform them when you get to the counter that you have a weapon to check. They do a quick form and then it's locked and on its way. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's what I've heard and read.

As for your post, I too am interested in taking some classes in Northeast PA, so hopefully some good ones are suggested.

(Northampton County)

If you're up for the drive, Hellertown Sportsmens Assoc put on a nice training course (I enrolled in a class last year). Might be worth checking out though...

http://www.hellertownsportsmen.com/firearm_training.htm

(Mercer County)

Do you mean northeast PA, as in the geographic area?

Or do you mean North East, PA, as in the town near Erie?
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JGCIII View Post
    I am interested in taking a defensive handgun course. I would love to train with Clint Smith or any of the other great gun schools but airfare and the hassle of flying with a gun make it prohibitive. Does anyone know where to go for good defensive handgun courses in North East PA?
    Flying with a handgun is not generally a hassle if you check with your airline (before you buy tickets, some are more friendly than others, but most (actully all IIRC) have provisions for it). There is actually a website out there that rates them from a pro-2A standpoint.

A friend invited a large group of us for a 4-Day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight back in November. We all flew in from at least half a dozen different airports and none of us had any issues. I flew out with three others from Harrisburg and it was as smooth as could be! They never even asked to inspect it when we checked in. One friend had his opened up to show the ticket agent and he said he did not need to inspect it, but did comment on how "pretty" it was.

Typically most airlines allow 11 pounds of ammo per person. We needed 800 rounds each which was over that, even for the guys with 9mm, so we shipped two 50 pound boxes out to the hotel near Front Sight via UPS and it was locked in their storage room waiting for us when we checked in.

That was our first time, so it took some time reading the airline and UPS policies, but it would not make me think twice of doing it again, and next time will be easy since we're no-longer mile high gun-toting virgins!

And for anyone wondering, IMO, Front Sight was first class! Great facility, well run range with well structured course. The very professional instructions can and will demonstrate any skill being covered on demand and were just awesome. The only downside is that I wish it were closer so I could take a few classes a year! I will go back, but also plan to try some other schools both locally and abroad as well.
    Last edited by Broncitis; January 20th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.

(Pike County)

Besides the cost of flying I would also have to rent a car and stay in a hotel. I know flying with a gun is not difficult I also heard that taking ammo is. That means your locked into the ammo prices of the school you are enrolling in or hope you can find a gun store with enough ammo.
    Joe

(Pike County)

Sorry, the top right corner of the state. Susquehanna, Pike, Wayne, etc.
    Joe

Or do you mean North East, PA, as in the town near Erie?
    Wait... there is a town in Northwest of PA called North East? That is just so confusing.

And I agree with the ammo issue when flying, though the cost of shipping boxes full of ammo across the country might make buying it from the school not so bad.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    Wait... there is a town in Northwest of PA called North East? That is just so confusing.

And I agree with the ammo issue when flying, though the cost of shipping boxes full of ammo across the country might make buying it from the school not so bad.
    It cost us about $100 to ship 3200 rounds out. The ammo at the FS Proshop was quite pricy as I recall ($25-$30/50 IIRC), so it was still well worth the $25 each for us to ship WWB value packs and other that we got much cheaper locally.

Shipping was not really all that hard, just box it up, slap on an address and ORM-D label, and have UPS pick it up.

Another option many use at Front Sight is their rental package. You can choose from an XD, Glock (and one or two others as I recall) and you will get the belt, holster, mag holder, mags, tactical light, etc. for $100. Not bad if you do not want to mess with traveling with yours of if you want to try one of the rentals before you buy one. You are required to buy rental gun ammo from the proshop. That's where they getcha!

IMO, Harrisburg is a reasonable driving distance from NEPA with a nights hotel between class days. I just picked up a flyer for an upcoming 2 day dynamic marksmanship course at Wset Shore Sportsmans Assoc. by Tom Givens and Rangemaster on July 24-25. I'd be taking this one, but it is the same weekend as a standing event with one of my other hobbies.

www.rangemaster.com

InSights also offers courses at WSSA, but I have not seen the 2010 schedule yet.

www.insightstraining.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast