Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: A few questions

(Montgomery County)

Default A few questions

I would like to buy some WWII military grade weaponry. Specifically, the M1Carbine, the M1 Garand and SVT 40. How would I go about obtaining these? Licensing wise as well as laws that may regard these weapons. Also where would you suggest that I go to buy them? (Near Oreland if possible)

Could I just show up to a store/gun show and purchase one?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: A few questions

Quote Originally Posted by capecodcaper View Post
    I would like to buy some WWII military grade weaponry. Specifically, the M1Carbine, the M1 Garand and SVT 40. How would I go about obtaining these? Licensing wise as well as laws that may regard these weapons. Also where would you suggest that I go to buy them? (Near Oreland if possible)

Yes, if you are not a felon or otherwise disbarred from ownership, go in, select, pay, do the paperwork.

Don't know about proximity to Oreland.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like you are not at all familiar with state and federal gun laws. Here's a start: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/585...g-selling.html

Basically as long as you are 18 and not a "prohibited person" you can buy a "long gun" such as the semi automatic rifles you listed.

I don't see the SVT-40 mentioned here much, that might be difficult to find. The M1s are popular though.

You might start your search at:
    Surplus City
    302 Bustleton Pike
    Feasterville Trevose, PA 19053

I have no experience with gun shows.

(Bucks County)

Last time I was in Dimmig's, place is on 202 in Chalfont/New Britain, he had an SVT. If I remember correctly it was going for close to a $1000.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: A few questions

the last 3 gun shows ive been to there was a guy selling wwII 762x54 bolt action russian "new" rifles for $99.00

(Montgomery County)

If you are a member of a CMP affiliated gun club or an honorably discharged vet, you may consider the the CMP for the M1 Garand and Carbine. The SVT you will need to find at a local gun shop, privately or via the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastdefender View Post
    If you are a member of a CMP affiliated gun club or an honorably discharged vet, you may consider the the CMP for the M1 Garand and Carbine.
    I just bought a Garand from CMP. The process is pretty straightforward and mine took about a month. The downside is that it's "luck of the draw" unless you want to go to their stores in Ohio or Alabama to pick one out. I got a very nice, solid "service grade" for $600. It's fairly easy to meet their requirements (you can join the Garand Collectors Association on line for $25 to meet the club requirement). Almost any firearms class involving shooting or an LTCF meets their "competition" requirement. Take a look at their web site at www.odcmp.com, click on "Sales." They also have carbines, 1903's, and surplus ammo. You need to be a little careful what you feed the semi-autos. There's of course no licensing in PA, and CMP is exempt from FFL requirements (by federal law). They run the usual FBI background check and overnight the gun to your home via FedEx.
    Last edited by donm; May 14th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by capecodcaper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yes, if you are not a felon or otherwise disbarred from ownership, go in, select, pay, do the paperwork.
    You do not have to go to a dealer/store. You can also buy privately face to face in PA. No paperwork required.
    Keep an eye on the classifieds here. You may find what you're looking for. http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/

Face To Face transfers/sales of longarms (shotgun or rifle) are legal in Pennsylvania. There is no requirement to use a FFL for a transfer of a longarm in PA, as long as neither person is a "prohibited person" (legally unable to purchase a firearm ) and both are legal aged(18 or older) residents of Pennsylvania. It's SUGGESTED that you provide a Bill of Sale and check ID on purchasers.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages