Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default AK parts question

During one of my stretches of random thinking, I started getting curious as to the parts differences between the AK47 and the AK74. What kind of parts compatibility is there between the two?

Are the trigger groups the same? Are the receivers close in dimensions? Could you take an underfolder back half and stick it on a 5.45 caliber front half? Are the standard stock, pistol grip and forend pieces the same?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK parts question

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    During one of my stretches of random thinking, I started getting curious as to the parts differences between the AK47 and the AK74. What kind of parts compatibility is there between the two?

Are the trigger groups the same? Are the receivers close in dimensions? Could you take an underfolder back half and stick it on a 5.45 caliber front half? Are the standard stock, pistol grip and forend pieces the same?

Some off the top of my head.

The barrel components: Other than cosmetic like lightning cuts etc. The barrels on 5.45 are typically thicker than 7.62 so the ID of the parts are bigger on 5.45 guns.

Barrel: 5.45 are typically thicker plus bore is different.

Bolt: Obviously are different

Receiver: The ejection ports and I believe magwells would need to be modified. Not sure about the rails.

Stocks: I believe that the standard stocks are interchangeable but I'm not completely sure about that. I guess it depends on the rear trunnion. Either way, they can be made to to fit. A very popular build is the "Kyber Pass". Where people take a 7.62 rifle (typically a Romanian) and put a triangle side folder on it. The triangle side folders were only produced for AK74s. You would have to get the right trunnion and modifiy the receiver (or use the correct one if it was a kit build) to accept the latch to hold the SF stock. I don't think that there is really a difference between '47 and '74 underfolder stocks.

Hope this helps.

edit: Anything COULD be done. Its just a matter of how much work you are willing to put into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lancaster County)

Most of the furniture will be interchangeable. Depending on the make, some of the muzzle attachments can be as well--just make sure you don't put a 5.45 brake on a 7.62 gun--outcome would be very unpleasant.

The FCG's are the same. The pistol grips are the same. Some of the top-covers are the same, or at least close enough. For stamped models (which I think all 74's are) the stocks and handguards are generally interchangeable. Theoretically, even the gas tubes might be close enough to work.

Obviously the barrels are different. The bolt/carriers are different. The pistons are different in the ones I've seen, but in theory could potentially be interchanged.

The receivers are different. They have to be to accomodate the different sized magazines, rail placement for the different carriers and general design for the smaller caliber in the AK-74.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Most of the furniture will be interchangeable. Depending on the make, some of the muzzle attachments can be as well--just make sure you don't put a 5.45 brake on a 7.62 gun--outcome would be very unpleasant.

The FCG's are the same. The pistol grips are the same. Some of the top-covers are the same, or at least close enough. For stamped models (which I think all 74's are) the stocks and handguards are generally interchangeable. Theoretically, even the gas tubes might be close enough to work.

Obviously the barrels are different. The bolt/carriers are different. The pistons are different in the ones I've seen, but in theory could potentially be interchanged.

The receivers are different. They have to be to accomodate the different sized magazines, rail placement for the different carriers and general design for the smaller caliber in the AK-74.
    What about the rear trunnion? Could you fit the underfolder back end of a 47 onto a 74 receiver with the 5.45 front half?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    What about the rear trunnion? Could you fit the underfolder back end of a 47 onto a 74 receiver with the 5.45 front half?
    Yes ... it might take a little work but it has been done a few times. Not many, but there a few floating around.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Yes ... it might take a little work but it has been done a few times.
    Yep. The rear of the rcvrs are the same. Cut and drill for whatever folding stock desired.

Not many, but there a few floating around.
    Yep

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Northampton County)

Yes ... it might take a little work but it has been done a few times. Not many, but there a few floating around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Yep. The rear of the rcvrs are the same. Cut and drill for whatever folding stock desired.

Yep

Thanks. If I build an AK I want to build a 5.45 version because right now ammo is cheaper than 7.62x39mm. Plus I'm starting to really like the underfolder design.

(Allegheny County)

Warpt762x39 ... I notice someone over on theakforum.net is selling yugo RPK with an underfolder stock. It's a very interesting build. If I remember correctly, you like that idea.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Yep

Beautiful !!

The barrel components: Other than cosmetic like lightning cuts etc. The barrels on 5.45 are typically thicker than 7.62 so the ID of the parts are bigger on 5.45 guns.

Barrel: 5.45 are typically thicker plus bore is different.

Come again?

Maybe you have that reversed?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast