Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Exclamation Input on a new S&W .45c M&P needed...

Just looking for a few opinions on a situation.....I won a choice of $5 table at a gun bash in November, and as the pickings were getting slim, I was able to order an M&P .45 compact. Just got it in this week, and have yet to shoot it. The issue I have is that I am unable to depress the slide release and return the slide when I rack the gun on an empty mag. I can pull the slide back and relieve the weight on the release, and it will depress so the slide will release, but this is a two-handed operation that I am used to doing as a one-hand op with every other pistol I own or have owned.

I called the shop where I ordered the pistol, and the owner told me that he thought I should just shoot it and it should "loosen up", but I am hesitant to shoot it at all if the best course of action, based on the experiences of this type of community, would be to return it in its received condition. Has anyone else experienced this particular action with this or any other M&P caliber? This is my first .45ACP, so I was also wondering if this is a function of a heavier spring for the larger caliber? So will it "loosen up" or should it just go back? Thanks!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Input on a new S&W .45c M&P needed...

I bought mine used, and my buddy got his in 9mm, but it was new. His was a little stiff at first. Shooting it isn't necessary to fix that kind of thing. You can just repeatedly work that action dry until it's better. That'll also let you get more used to the gun. Take an empty mag, put it in and just keep working the action. Do it while your watching TV. Make sure the mag is empty, and just keep racking the slide and hitting the slide release. By the end of a half hour show it should be real nice. During the next show, clean it and oil it nicely. During the next one repeatedly rack it and hit the release. Within 3 half hour TV shows the slide release should be like butter and you'll be much more familiar with the new piece. If it's still having issues, then it might need to be sent back for work or smithed. Odds are, though, it just needs to be broken in.

Edit: forgot to mention, drop the empty mag before trying to drop the slide release.
    Last edited by nepawolf; January 19th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Hello, I own a M&P 40cal and i have'nt had any problems with it at all. Maybe you should just return it and get new one.
    Protect yourself at all times.... purchase a firearm. It's your right!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickname Tactical View Post
    Hello, I own a M&P 40cal and i have'nt had any problems with it at all. Maybe you should just return it and get new one.
    no. there is nothing wrong with the gun. It's a "slide stop". I think if you look in the manual you find that is what it's called. it's not a slide release. If i recall correctly smith and wessons preferred method of loading that gun is the "sling shot" method so the slide stop probably isn't going to be easy to use.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    no. there is nothing wrong with the gun. It's a "slide stop". I think if you look in the manual you find that is what it's called. it's not a slide release. If i recall correctly smith and wessons preferred method of loading that gun is the "sling shot" method so the slide stop probably isn't going to be easy to use.
    Once it gets worked in, the slide release is no issue on the M&P's. Tactical reloads are easier on that than any other polymer pistol I've ever tried. When it has an empty mag still in it, it is real hard to release it. Just drop the mag and either put a loaded on in or none.

(Centre County)

I have the same issue with a new M&P9c purchased at the end of Dec. I need two fingers to release the slide using the L and R slide releases. My M&P9 full size isn't like this. Called S&W CS after 125 or so rounds and they said shoot it more. 200 rounds later and it still is super stiff. No amount of cleaning or lubing- dosen't matter if the gun is clean or dirty. I've been "playing" with it (empty) and still no luck. The gun has shot everything I've put in it and is very accurate considering the compact dimensions.

My plan is another 250 or so rounds and it will be sent back. If you call S&W CS they will sent you a pre-paid packing slip and instructions for it's return. I didn't even ask for it, they took my info and sent it to me.

IF you are comfortable, put some round through it. If it dosen't work to your satisfaction, take it to a trusted gunsmith or return it to S&W for repair. My 2 cents.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the info guys, I still can't get it to release the slide, with an empty mag, a full mag, or no mag. Keep in mind, I'm 6'1, 275, so I'm not limp wristing the release, I just cannot get it to release the slide. I am picking up a full size that I had on layaway before I won the compact, so I will see if the f/s .45 does the same thing. If not, then I think I will call Smith and see what they actually recommend, if I get the same advice as one other member posted in this thread. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I still can't get it to release the slide, with an empty mag, a full mag, or no mag. Keep in mind, I'm 6'1, 275, so I'm not limp wristing the release, I just cannot get it to release the slide. I am picking up a full size that I had on layaway before I won the compact, so I will see if the f/s .45 does the same thing. If not, then I think I will call Smith and see what they actually recommend, if I get the same advice as one other member posted in this thread. Anyway, thanks for the input!
    Perhaps there is a little bit of a geometry issue in the two points of contact - - one on the notch on the slide, the other the point of the slide release that contacts the slide. These angles and faces might need a VERY SLIGHT bit of reshaping or smoothing.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    The issue I have is that I am unable to depress the slide release and return the slide when I rack the gun on an empty mag.
    All my M&P's(i have 3) were like that when they were new.
    I was able to, but was really stiff.
    It wears in somewhat short order. Mine is so smooth, it'll release slide on shock alone if I slam loaded mag in hurry

Remenber, if mag is empty, your pushing down against mag spring(as well as friction between slide notch and mag release). Its gonna be harder then when mag is loaded - In which case, you'll be pushing slide release against above mentioned friction only.

my M&P45 and M&P9 is easy to push down on slide. My M&P9C is stiffer eventho it have how knows how many rounds through it. But I contribute that to stiffer then full size recoil spring. I imagin same goes for 45compact(if you can call it that! They are about the same size as full size 9!)
    I think any compact size gun - compared to same gun in full size is gonna have stiffer slide release, because of stiffer recoil spring.
    All my 5" 1911 were easy to release the slide on empty mag or full mag. But my CBOB - After several thousand rounds, still pretty stiff.

Not to be an ass, but I think OP is being little over cautious about this tho. just go shoot the damn thing couple of hundread rounds or so more. If it doesn't smooth out after that, then I would worry about it.

Smith does have one of the best warrenty dept, afterall...
    Last edited by Mity2; January 22nd, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    All my M&P's(i have 3) were like that when they were new.
    I was able to, but was really stiff.
    It wears in somewhat short order. Mine is so smooth, it'll release slide on shock alone if I slam loaded mag in hurry

Remenber, if mag is empty, your pushing down against mag spring(as well as friction between slide notch and mag release). Its gonna be harder then when mag is loaded - In which case, you'll be pushing slide release against above mentioned friction only.

my M&P45 and M&P9 is easy to push down on slide. My M&P9C is stiffer eventho it have how knows how many rounds through it. But I contribute that to stiffer then full size recoil spring. I imagin same goes for 45compact(if you can call it that! They are about the same size as full size 9!)
    I think any compact size gun - compared to same gun in full size is gonna have stiffer slide release, because of stiffer recoil spring.
    All my 5" 1911 were easy to release the slide on empty mag or full mag. But my CBOB - After several thousand rounds, still pretty stiff.

Not to be an ass, but I think OP is being little over cautious about this tho. just go shoot the damn thing couple of hundread rounds or so more. If it doesn't smooth out after that, then I would worry about it.

Smith does have one of the best warrenty dept, afterall...
    LOL, thanks for the input, that's the plan. It just caught me by surprise a bit, since I never have had a gun do that, and have never had to shoot one to loosen it up. Not that I'm overly cautious, but I was just trying to avail myself of the experience of a forum such as this. I had tried to search for similar topics before posting, but didn't find anything, so I just threw it out there. And if it was a known problem, or there was a known solution, I was just trying to save from reinventing the wheel. So it was laziness, not caution as my motivation.

BTW, picked up my full size .45 M&P, and the slide lock/release works fine, with just my right thumb working the release.