Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Meleanie Hain Memorial Dinner

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat187 View Post
    i will definetly be there to help put a playset together whenever the details are set. just let me know when and where.
    OK. I think I was one of the first to suggest combining a pig roast, which mom and I talked about as an event always on the top of the PAFOA wish list (as she was leaving Venice Pizza), with a swing raising party when she first mentioned that as something she'd like to buy for the kids with the money collected in the jar. At first it seemed like a great opportunity to gather once again to lend a hand in support as well as help mom provide her grandchildren with one if the wonderful staples of almost every kid's childhood fond memories of summer.

After a while, it began to sink in that Mom and I are in somewhat of a similar situation in that we were both thrust into the role of single parents, and are close in age (although mom does demostrate an incredible amount of energy that I don't think I could muster up even on my best days). Since I have a few years of experience under my belt, I should have thought a little more before spouting off about a pig roast/swing raising shindig, knowing that planning the next day's events is hard enough because kids schedules and needs change on a moments notice, let alone suggesting an all day event mom would have to play hostess to, even though the guests would most certainly be willing to handle the brunt of the planning and work.

So, since I feel like I sort of got people riled up about the pig roast idea, I feel a little compelled to help work out a solution that will get Mel's kid's something fun and exciting for this and future summers, but not place such a burden on mom.

Shadowcat and many others have said just say come, and they will build it, so my alternate suggestion is let's see how the responses go with this idea so we can get the job done for the kids ASAP, but keep the pig roast idea on the back burner so it can be given due consideration for planning and letting those with all the secrets to the perfect piggie combine their knowledge and experience and make it happen later in the summer or fall.

After we get a few responses, I'll start a poll so we can pick a good time for building a swing set. If anyone who wants to help and already knows some go and no-go dates for when they're available, go ahead and mention them before the poll is up to give me a few options for the times and dates I can include as options (especially you, mom, although I'm sure we can get it done even if you're not home, and then just move it to where you want after it's assembled and up.)

Also keep in mind that like I mentioned earlier, I threw mine up all by my little lonesome in one afternoon after picking up the lumber earlier that same morning. I'm thinking that with few extra hands and some good sunlight up until 8-ish and getting later every day, it doesn't necessarily have to be a weekend if we can get more people out on a week night. For that matter there's a lot of folks that work swing shifts. Wouldn't it be a hoot if we could raise one on a school day and have the kids come home to it?

If someone has a vehicle that'll haul some 16' lumber, that would be a great start, even if time is tight and helping pick up the lumber and bring it up to mom's is the only free time the spousal unit will give you during prime gardening season. I'll also look into the cost of delivery, but I know by the time the rental and milage fees add up for renting one of Home Depots trucks.

What say all?

(Lancaster County)

I work til 4 during the week. Weekends are free except april 24th.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post

but I know by the time the rental and milage fees add up for renting one of Home Depots trucks.

What say all?
    I get free deliveries from Lowe's and Home Depot. Both (here anyway) are good with me on this. I work for a non-profit and do a fair amount of business with both stores. So I get a little something back from them. Since this is a non-profit/good cause situation a quick conversation with the store manager might get the delivery gratis. Lowes is much more receptive and be sure to let them know we can announce their kind hearted act to 20,000 people.

Str8, well done on the post, setting the situation straight. Everyone here can relate to biting off more than we can chew. It takes class to admit to it and clear the air for the progress to continue. Well done Sir. As a formally single parent of three for many years, I know exactly how it is.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Berks County)

Pig roast aside, let's just build a big bad-ass swingset for the kids. We can bring picnic food, grills, etc. There is no need to make a simple project this complicated.

(York County)

If I can be there to help I will...
    Sunday is the day I have off most weeks, but if I know three weeks to a month in advance I can request most any day off... Saturdays are the worst day for me. I'm rarely off Saturdays unless I request it far in advance & noone else has gotten it first.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Pig roast aside, let's just build a big bad-ass swingset for the kids. We can bring picnic food, grills, etc. There is no need to make a simple project this complicated.
    Agreed. This is obviously a project that will require food and drink somewhere along the way, but I think this should be completely separate from any kind of larger social gathering. For this project, I think we'll need far less people than a regular social gathering draws, and theoretically we're hoping to get folks who actually have some useful knowledge for this specific type of job, rather than a couple dozen folks who "want to help", but have little practical knowledge to put to use. That way we can get it done efficiently and have something we're not afraid to post a picture of at the end of the day.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

im not an expert but i do have experience with putting together out door items such as playsets, gazebos, tents etc....

i also have some mechanical drafting knowledge from school so if you guys are definetly planning on building from scratch i can put in my .02

(Franklin County)

All posts regarding the building of a swingset/playset have been copied to a new thread in the Lounge. Here's a link to the new thread:

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/96...nies-kids.html
    Last edited by gnbrotz; April 9th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324