Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Purchase limits in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Designlife View Post
    If you look at the Texas gun show, and the implementation of banning private gun sales. This is all about registering as a private citizen to sell a firearm. (The FFL)....private sales are not ILLEGAL.
    Dude, what does Texas have to do with anything this thread?
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(York County)

Just informing.... I will step out of this thread....sorry

Just informing.... I will step out of this thread....sorry
    No reason to be sorry, was just wondering what it had to do with this. nothing more
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(Centre County)

If you look at the Texas gun show, and the implementation of banning private gun sales. This is all about registering as a private citizen to sell a firearm. (The FFL)....private sales are not ILLEGAL.

That's the point i was getting at...and i just put in more info about the FFL.

So to make it clear....you can purchase as many guns as you want, with out registering which guns you have....from private sales.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...n-of-firearms/

HUH???

In Pennsylvania even private sales of handguns must be done through a FFL or the local Sheriff (which is very, very, VERY rarely done). If the buyer purchases more than 1 gun from a seller (private or dealer) and completes the paperwork at the same FFL within a 5 day period, the FFL must fill out the BATFE Form 3310.4 by the end of the business day in which the second handgun was sold. I've had to do this a few times and not once has the person doing the multiple firearm buy been contacted by anyone.

All handgun purchases in PA require the Application/Record of Sale form to be sent to the PSP within 14 days of the purchase. This is not a registration of the firearm (he, he, he, yeah, right ) according to the PSP, just a database of firearms purchased from dealers.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Guess I broke the law a couple times.

I don't know all the FFL lingo, but if more than one handgun is purchased in a specific amount of time (it may be a week)from the same shop I believe additional paperwork needs to be filed. Or something along those lines.

I'm sure one of the FFl's will chime in with the technical aspects and correct my errors.
    I asked this question at A&S in Youngwood and the guy told me that they have to "call" the Fed's when a multiple buy is made. No such thing as a 30day limit either..................those were his words.....not mine.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Lancaster County)

If you purchase more than one handgun at a time (or within 5 days), from the same dealer, the FFL must have you fill out an additional form for multiple purchase.

There is no law prohibiting you from doing this, in most cases it will not affect you in any negative way.

However, the BATFE uses this to discourage multiple sales. When they come to "audit" (aka shakedown) FFL's, the first thing they look at are the multiple purchase forms. If a dealer is doing a lot of them, it can draw extra attention.

Buying only one at a time limits the dealer's exposure to BATFE bureaucracy, and limits your exposure to it as well.

I can imaging that some shops may simply say "no" to multiple sales in order to better insulate themselves from scrutiny.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krssteel View Post
    I asked this question at A&S in Youngwood and the guy told me that they have to "call" the Fed's when a multiple buy is made. No such thing as a 30day limit either..................those were his words.....not mine.
    WRONG ANSWER, you don't call the Feds, you just fill out the paperwork and send it to the appropriate BATFE office and either the PSP of Sheriff.

Last time I had to do it the Sheriff said it goes to the PSP and the PSP said it goes to the Sheriff . The sheriff (Sheriff Nau in Centre Co.) said he'd take care of it after I told him what the PSP said (He doesn't think highly of the PSP at times).

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    If you purchase more than one handgun at a time (or within 5 days), from the same dealer, the FFL must have you fill out an additional form for multiple purchase.
    The purchaser does not fill out the 3310.4, the FFL does

There is no law prohibiting you from doing this, in most cases it will not affect you in any negative way.
    True, none of my customers that bought multiple guns have ever been contacted by any agency because of the purchase.

However, the BATFE uses this to discourage multiple sales. When they come to "audit" (aka shakedown) FFL's, the first thing they look at are the multiple purchase forms. If a dealer is doing a lot of them, it can draw extra attention.
    The BATFE has never discouraged me from doing business and I've had my FFL for 20 years (in 3 different states).

I have never had a compliance agent ask to see the 3310.4's first, second or third.

The multiple sales form is attached to the 4473 that the purchaser and FFL fill out. There is no specific folder that these (3310.4) get filed in. During the audit, if they see in your bound book multiple sales to the same person they may ask to see your copy to make sure you filled it out.

Yes, if a dealer is doing many multiple sales the BATFE may want to see what is going on and if you have a good explanation that is it. I once sold 15 S&W 622's to a person that teaches NRA classes. I had a visit by a BATFE agent (not unannounced, he set up an appointment with me). I showed him the paperwork, explained what was going on and who the buyer was and his business info and the agent was satisfied, thanked me for my time and left. I called my friend and he was never contacted.

Buying only one at a time limits the dealer's exposure to BATFE bureaucracy, and limits your exposure to it as well.
    Maybe, but not necessarily.

I can imaging that some shops may simply say "no" to multiple sales in order to better insulate themselves from scrutiny.
    That may also be true, but as a business man are you going to turn down what might be a very lucrative business opportunity? The risks are very small and the rewards may be very great, especially for a small business. What if you are approached by a PD (especially a good sized one) that wants wants an estimate to refit all their officers with new handguns and accessories? Do you tell them, "no thanks if I get the contract then I'd have to fill out the 3310.4's"? I would think not. And yes you do have to do the form(s), because typically one person in the PD is assigned to do all the paperwork and take possession of the guns.

I thought we solved this on page 1
    FUCK BIDEN

(Mercer County)

Sounds like you need a new dealer. He turned down a gun sale because he was either ignorant or lazy.

I'm sure there are plenty of other dealers out there who would gladly take your money.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast