Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default How hard is it to install an adjustable trigger

How hard/easy is it to install an adjustable trigger?

I plan on having a gunsmith adjust my trigger on my Remington 700 5R milspec or doing it myself. I am a novice at gunsmithing but am capable of about anything mechanical. I was looking in Brownells at thier assortment of triggers and contemplating doing it myself if possible. I want a good trigger so I'd like to hear if this better left to the professionals or are adjustable triggers worth their salt?

Also, I like the idea of a detachable magazine. What is the skill level required to install a magazine conversion kit?

Any thoughts on what type of trigger or DBM kits are appreciated.

Default Re: How hard is it to install an adjustable trigger

Timney and Jewell make completely drop in adjustable triggers. Easy as pie to install for the mechanically inclined. Which DBM kit do you want? I too was contemplating a DBM kit. I love the idea of the M-14 magazine model from Robar vs. the Remington kit.

Default Re: How hard is it to install an adjustable trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey Slayer View Post
    How hard/easy is it to install an adjustable trigger?

I plan on having a gunsmith adjust my trigger on my Remington 700 5R milspec or doing it myself. I am a novice at gunsmithing but am capable of about anything mechanical. I was looking in Brownells at thier assortment of triggers and contemplating doing it myself if possible. I want a good trigger so I'd like to hear if this better left to the professionals or are adjustable triggers worth their salt?

Also, I like the idea of a detachable magazine. What is the skill level required to install a magazine conversion kit?

Any thoughts on what type of trigger or DBM kits are appreciated.
    As policraticus said, it's possible for you to drop in a trigger for yourself. It'll be a little work, but nothing that a mechanically inclined person can't do; especially with help from some of us that know what's going on. I have a Shilen in mine, but Timney, Rifle Basix, Jewell, etc are all good trigger. Part of it will depend on what kind of trigger shoe you like your rifles to have. The older Remington triggers have a wide trigger shoe, some people like it and many don't. Either way, it's quite doable for you to install your own trigger. I'd recommend you buying an adjustable trigger than trying to adjust a stock one. I don't see much of a reason to pay a smith, we'll be happy to tell you how to do it and how to do it safely IF you will listen carefully.

As far as DBM kits, you won't be able to do it. There's lots of good bottom metal, but the problem is this. DMB's have feed lips built into the magazines, and actions that come from Remington as DBM do not have feed lips built into the action because they're on the magazines. When you convert an ADL or BDL into DBM, you have to place the action in a mill and mill out the feed lips built into the action. It's something that needs to be done to exacting tolerances and that I wouldn't recommend for you to do yourself. On top of that, you'll also need to inlet the stock or purchase a stock already inletted for the DBM. It's not exactly and easy or cheap task, so it's something that you'll want a gunsmith to do, or that you might want to hold off on.