Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default Firearms record for lost, stolen firearms?

Does anyone know if there is some data base where LEOs keep records of firearms reported lost or stolen? Not just a local PD that records the weapons missing and checks through NCIC to see if they are clear when they take the report. I am talking if they have a data base for recovered firearms, so a person can check to see if one they have had stolen or lost is in the data base.

I asked a PSP Trooper one time and he said no there wasn't and I asked how a person was supposed to look into finding out if one had been recoevered and he said he had no idea and walked away.

It would seem to me that if a firearm is recovered and it was a legal weapon and a report had been filed they should make an effort to return it to the owner, but I find sometimes in an anit area they may not want to do this and wait until a judge orders all recovered weapons destroyed.

At the moment in Brookville, PA that is what they are doing, they reported the judge issued an order to destroy weapins recovered and if anyone wanted to see if they had theirs to contact the local PD. No effort made to find out on their part.

Just curious if anyone knows of a central data bank for this.
    Pooch15825
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Firearms record for lost, stolen firearms?

There is none that I know of other than NCIC, individual case reports, and local PD listings.

From what I understand of Brookville's situation, those that they have in that storage are guns that they could not trace back to a lawful owner or were from lawful seizures.

I'm going down this Friday to see if my (2) Cobray/FMJ 45/410 derringers were recovered that were stolen from me over Thanksgiving weekend of 2004. I have a vague idea as to the serial numbers, but I can certainly ID them from alterations I made for ergonomics. They could never be traced back to me because I bought them privately when I lived in Florida.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Somerset County)

Instead of destroying them, why don't they have an auction, take the money, and buy something useful? I think in that part of the state, it would be a well attended auction.

Dale

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is none that I know of other than NCIC, individual case reports, and local PD listings.

From what I understand of Brookville's situation, those that they have in that storage are guns that they could not trace back to a lawful owner or were from lawful seizures.

I'm going down this Friday to see if my (2) Cobray/FMJ 45/410 derringers were recovered that were stolen from me over Thanksgiving weekend of 2004. I have a vague idea as to the serial numbers, but I can certainly ID them from alterations I made for ergonomics. They could never be traced back to me because I bought them privately when I lived in Florida.
    I went in on Tuesday morning, I called Monday about a handgun I have had missing since 01, the Chief told me to just stop in and he took me back too look at what was there, mine wasn't unfortunately. I asked why they had to be destroyed instead of auctioned off to people legally allowed to own them, all he said was "Yeah, too bad they can't be" and gave no other explanation.

Pooch
    Illegitimus non carborundum est