Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What do you know about M1 Garands?

Heres my March 1943 DCM.

Tomcat is right, you can find a better M-1 for a better price. The last time I checked (last year) the CMP M-1 garands are drying up. Maybe some new ones came in. If you do plan on buying that gun, see if the dealer is willing to take it apart and give it a good look over. You might keep yourself from making a mistake.

(Butler County)

I also agree, priced too high. SA's can be found at gun shows for $650-850. For a $1000 it better be IHC or a Winchester.

(Lycoming County)

CMP all the way!!!!

For $1k you can get a beautiful service grade and almost half of your yearly limit on ammo though CMP.

A couple months ago, the GCA (garand collectors assoc.) helped unpack and sort ~19,000 Greek returns. Springfields are already being shipped out with the the rest of their inventory. HRAs should be available for mail order, and a few available in the stores, shortly. I'd say look at the requirements for purchasing through CMP (it's really not much), and get a service grade *period* I'd only pay $1k in a store if it were a correct grade of some flavor, or if it were an International Harvester.

(PS: Keep a look out for a thread in the 'Gun Pictures' section either today or Wednesday. I need to get around to taking pictures of my CMP garands.)
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    CMP all the way!!!!

For $1k you can get a beautiful service grade and almost half of your yearly limit on ammo though CMP.

A couple months ago, the GCA (garand collectors assoc.) helped unpack and sort ~19,000 Greek returns. Springfields are already being shipped out with the the rest of their inventory. HRAs should be available for mail order, and a few available in the stores, shortly. I'd say look at the requirements for purchasing through CMP (it's really not much), and get a service grade *period* I'd only pay $1k in a store if it were a correct grade of some flavor, or if it were an International Harvester.

(PS: Keep a look out for a thread in the 'Gun Pictures' section either today or Wednesday. I need to get around to taking pictures of my CMP garands.)
    What he said!! Thanks to the Greek returns there should be Garands to pick from for quite a while. I will eventually be getting another one.

You have to meet about these eligibility requirements to purchase from the CMP.

I was just up there on Saturday 1/9/10. I drove up to purchase an M1 carbine to go with my Garand. Ended up buying 2 carbines. Now I need at least one more Garand.

Once you meet the requirements you can either go to the store and purchase or you can mail your order and have the rifle shipped to your door. But you must meet ALL of the requirements!

I would definately go the CMP route you'll get more for your money.

Last edited by Chunky Monkey; January 19th, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Oh and don't forget to grease it and like already said don't use commercial ammo without and adjustable operating rod.

FYI (regarding bolded)- "adjustable gas plug".

Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=777146

Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Heres my March 1943 DCM.

You're slings on backwards. Clip goes on the rear sling swivel.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

To the OP:
    Sounds to me like you're looking for a wall hanger or one you won't shoot much, let alone in any competition. If this is the case, as others have mentioned get a rack grade Garand from CMP ($445) or for a little more a field grade.

Toujours prêt

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    To the OP:
    Sounds to me like you're looking for a wall hanger or one you won't shoot much, let alone in any competition. If this is the case, as others have mentioned get a rack grade Garand from CMP ($445) or for a little more a field grade.

Nah, I'm definately looking for one in the middle. A shooter that still looks decent.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I have some more research to do...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Nah, I'm definately looking for one in the middle. A shooter that still looks decent.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I have some more research to do...
    Field or Service Grade will meet your requirements ($500-600). Did you read the Grading Criteria on the CMP site?

Copy of Criteria below:

CMP GARAND GRADING CRITERIA
    RACK GRADE: (Fair)
    Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.
    Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
    Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.
    Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
    Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

CORRECT GRADE: (Very Good to Excellent)
    Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $950.

COLLECTOR GRADE: (Excellent)
    Collector Grade Rifles have 95% or better overall original metal finish. Rifle bores are excellent with throat erosion under 3 and muzzle wear of 2 or less. Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche. Data sheets prepared by CMP armorers are included in the butt trap of each Collector Grade Rifle. Excellent condition - little or no use. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $1400.
    CMP SPECIAL: (Excellent)
    CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new leather sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. See item for details.
    Toujours prêt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast