Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Shooting Ranges In Allentown/Whitehall Area??

Im new to the area and I haven't find any shooting ranges at all but I haven't had much a chance to look so any adive would be great. thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Shooting Ranges In Allentown/Whitehall Area??

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    Im new to the area and I haven't find any shooting ranges at all but I haven't had much a chance to look so any adive would be great. thanks.
    If you are looking for a public range there is one right near you in Whitehall called the Firing Line. To get there you go down Rt 145 past Whitehall HS towards Egypt and then you turn left on Roosevelt Street. From there you go up to the top of the hill and you will see the Fitness/Firing line. There are also a number of private ranges in the area. There is Tri-Boro in Northampton. There is another one in Bath that I forget the name to.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    Welcome.

Depends on what you are looking for, but Drew is right, the firing line is a nice heated indoor pistol range.

http://www.pleoa.com/firingline.html

And here is a short list of some local clubs found on Gunthsville's site.
    http://www.guthsville.com/gunclubs.htm

And a couple databases:
    http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp
    http://130.94.182.159/rangespa.htm
    http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

(Lehigh County)

Gumby if you wanna head up to the Firing Line at any point, drop me a PM. I'd be glad to meet up with you there. I'm up there once or twice a week anyway.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's a little bit of a hike but I like Ontelaunee:

http://www.ontelaunee.org/

$20 to join for the first year, $15 a year for renewal.

They have 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard, 200 yard, and 300 yard ranges. They also have a bunch of trap shooting and archery.

Every Thursday the pistol team meets up. In the winter we meet at the clubhouse; there's an indoor range in the basement of the clubhouse. Tomorrow it's "back up guns" (whatever you carry). They change it up every week, and they always have cool scenarios and courses of fire. Last week we shot B-27 silhouette targets (no time limit). Week before we shot 22 pistol and 22 rifle. For pistol we shot at a sheet with small animals printed on it and a sheet with boxes with numbers on it (the larger the box the smaller the point value). For rifles we shot at a paper with a deck of cards printed and the "best poker hand" won.

The team does a lot of IDPA and ICORE as well. They have a crapload of props for those. They even have an old beat up car they use as cover for some of the IDPA stages.

For practice they typically don't care what gun you use; it doesn't have to meet the rules and regulations. Only limits are that the backstop has to be able to stop the bullets. So no steel core stuff, tracers, or high powder rifles indoors. Outdoors I don't think they have any such rules.

I'm there every Thursday, and sometimes shoot rifle on the weekends.

(Northampton County)

Firing Line is a great place for people wanting to keep up on handgun. Cheap for an indoor range if you buy a 3-month membership. Certainly not as cheap as a rod and gun club.

They also allow FA.
    Last edited by ungawa; January 21st, 2010 at 08:06 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks everyone. I would have been lost trust me. I'd like to check out that firing line sometime but Im still getting settled in so in due time.. But once agian Thanks everyone. Happy shooting

(Lehigh County)

I beg to differ with regards to the Firing Line. The place is expensive ($12/hour or $58 for 3 months). In addition, there is a $20 fine if you shoot the pulley system by accident. I would recommend an outdoor range. It would be much cheaper and far less regulated.

The guy who worked there when I went was pretty rude. When I asked him to explain a certain policy they had in writing, he simply growled at me and said that I was welcome to leave.

When I went there several months ago, I was still a novice shooter. In the actual range, I was worried about getting fined $20 for hitting their precious target holder. I aimed a bit lower. Then the guy came in and started cursing about how I was shooting too low. I have to say that he was pretty impulsive and that the crude language was completely unnecessary.

If you want to go there, then you are welcome to do so. But if I were you, I would just join another range and use the money you save to stock up on ammo.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I beg to differ with regards to the Firing Line. The place is expensive ($12/hour or $58 for 3 months). In addition, there is a $20 fine if you shoot the pulley system by accident. I would recommend an outdoor range. It would be much cheaper and far less regulated.
    Outdoor ranges/clubs are certainly cheaper. FL is a decent value in the Lehigh Valley if you want what they have to offer. Most indoor ranges charge $30 for hitting the target holder, so FL is cheap in that respect.

There is supposed to be a new indoor range going in near Easton. They just got approval recently.

The guy who worked there when I went was pretty rude. When I asked him to explain a certain policy they had in writing, he simply growled at me and said that I was welcome to leave.

When I went there several months ago, I was still a novice shooter. In the actual range, I was worried about getting fined $20 for hitting their precious target holder. I aimed a bit lower. Then the guy came in and started cursing about how I was shooting too low. I have to say that he was pretty impulsive and that the crude language was completely unnecessary.
    Your buddy is gone. The rest of the guys are less confrontational. But they will caution you if you are shooting/gun handling very poorly and might fine you if you hit the range equipment.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Your buddy is gone. The rest of the guys are less confrontational. But they will caution you if you are shooting/gun handling very poorly and might fine you if you hit the range equipment.
    Definitely true, he was asked to leave. If ever you are in the Whitehall area and plan to shoot at the FL, send me a PM. I tend to be there on Tuesdays and Fridays (if time permits).

Other ranges in the Lehigh Valley would be:
    - Alburtis R&G http://www.alburtisgunclub.com/
    - Topton (although it's in another county) http://www.toptonfga.org/
    - Hellertown Sportsmen Association http://www.hellertownsportsmen.com/actionpistol.php

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast