Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Shooting Ranges In Allentown/Whitehall Area??

Quote Originally Posted by Rathmec View Post
    Do you have to have a membership to shoot at Firing Line, or can I walk in there, drop fifteen bucks and stay for an hour?

An indoor range in Easton would be nice since I work out that way!

I also recall a friend of mine telling me about a park you can visit in my area (Allentown) where you can shoot for free but they have strange rules (like only three rounds allowed in a magazine). Can anyone confirm this?
    IIRC alot of ranges have rules like this, for rifle. Its to prevent people from just plopping down on a bench and unloading 30 rounds in 5 seconds when there are other shooters trying to group and zero rifles on the same range.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

The firing line is beat, pricey, and the dudes kinda a dick. If you behave yourself and make sure you kiss his ass i guess its ok. I live in whitehall and Its 2 seconds from my house and I'll drive 15-20 to go to Shimersville!!! Indoor, 9bucks an hr + targets, layed back as hell. George and Ken both GOOD guys. long as you dont mind smoke. Ha ha ,wouldnt be firearms without the tobacco and you get the alcohol when you get home to clean your weapon. thats a joke ATF haha
    and to the dust you shall return

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    The firing line is beat, pricey, and the dudes kinda a dick. If you behave yourself and make sure you kiss his ass i guess its ok. I live in whitehall and Its 2 seconds from my house and I'll drive 15-20 to go to Shimersville!!! Indoor, 9bucks an hr + targets, layed back as hell. George and Ken both GOOD guys. long as you dont mind smoke. Ha ha ,wouldnt be firearms without the tobacco and you get the alcohol when you get home to clean your weapon. thats a joke ATF haha

Where's the one in Shimersville?

I agree with Firing Line. I've been there twice, both times treated like sh*t. First time I gave them the benefit of the doubt, so I tried it again. No more.

(Lehigh County)

I'd like to know where's Shimersville too, I don't live too far from Firing line but the attitute in there is something I don't like much, I've bought couple of pistols from there but haven't been in for quite some time now. You've mentioned George and Ken, is it the same Ken that used to work at Firing line?.

(Northampton County)

Visit the web site. www.efga.net

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman View Post
    Visit the web site. www.efga.net

That one I know. I used to be a member and need to rejoin, but the one mentioned above had the word "indoor" associated with it.

He might be talking about the one down 100 near McCungie, not sure. That's a hike from where I am. I hope the indoor range in Easton comes to be.

(Lehigh County)

I used to go to the Firing Line alot. Ken, the guy who is usually there is ok, but can be a hard ass at times.

My job purchased memberships for all our officers at Guthsville R&G Club.
    Nice place, freindly people for the most part. They have 100 and 50 yard rifle section, black powder only section, 25 yard pistol section, 25 yard pistol/rifle/shotgun section, a plinking section and a section were you can shoot stuff up.

It has an indoor range, But I dont think it gets used much, I dont think they have enough people to be a RO for the indoor range and keep it open all the time (I could be wrong though).

AG

(Northampton County)

Is there any place in the area that has 4-500 yard rifle ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    It has an indoor range, But I dont think it gets used much, I dont think they have enough people to be a RO for the indoor range and keep it open all the time (I could be wrong though).AG

I belong over at Guthsville too, and the story I got about the indoor range is as follows. People screamed and yelled and carried on like little babies demanding that the indoor range be open for members to come and use it at will. So they worked and worked and got enough volunteers to man the place.

No one came.

After a while, people got tired of sitting in a room all by themselves, so for now the indoor range is only used for organized events. It is a nice range, and I shot there a number of times when I took an IDPA class. One of these days perhaps we can find some more people who would be willing to man it and shoot all at the same time.

(Northampton County)

There's something about the trap at Firing Line that is strange. It's very easy to hit the baffles or even miss the trap. You need to eye up your target and figure out where to shoot at to make sure you're shooting at the center of the trap. Unless you are a hero and move your target all the way back against the trap.

Add on top of that they get a lot of people in who can't shoot at all. I've been hit by fragments coming back at me a few times from other shooters hitting target holders.

They do allow FA. Which you gotta give props for.

The one staff member everybody complained the most about left about 6-9 months ago. Interestingly, that very man stood up for a guy I know and put his ass on the line going up against PSP when it wasn't even any of his business. Way outside of his job description. To him, he was just doing his job looking after his members, just like when he called you a "shithead that needs to rent a .22 and learn how to shoot because you're F'ing up my range. Those are your bullet marks right there on the baffles! Don't blame me!"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast