Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Hello from Mechanicsburg

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    I'm a member of Mechanicsburg Sportsman's, up the hill from Visaggio's. They have 25, 50, and 100 yard outdoor ranges, and indoor rimfire and centerfire pistol ranges. It costs $50/yr to join, plus a little bit more to get a key for the indoor centerfire range. I've never used the indoor rimfire.

There's only been one or two times I've ever gone to the indoor centerfire and found anybody else using it - most times it's just me.

No experience with the other clubs, as MSPA is most convenient to where I live.
    You can't beat that price. And it's right up the road from me. Might have to join soon. I'd like to have an indoor place to shoot, rather than the SGL.

(Cumberland County)

Hello, surprised to see alot more people from the area joining the forum.

I am a member of Palmyra sportsmens assoc, bout a 30 min ride but they have every range you can think of plus indoor pistol ranges as well.

We did a get together last year at 89harleys house, alot of people said they were going to show and then only 3 of us did. Was a little disappointing.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by nraliferddomega View Post
    Hello from another Mechanicsburg resident.
    Joined last month.
    Does anyone have any experiences with the following clubs:
    I am looking to join one.

West Shore Sportsmen's Association
    Mechanicsburg Sportsmen's Protective Association
    Carlisle Fish and Game

Any strong opinions or experiences would be appreciated.
    I am a member at West Shore, and it's a great club.
    Numerous blinking ranges, a covered center fire handgun range, indoor range, covered rifle range out to 200 yrds.

I was just there last Saturday, and had the rifle range to myself. Most times that's how it is.

The latest addition to the club was an electronic gate. No more getting out of the vehicle to open and close the gate.

Great Place !!!
    Timor mortis morte pejor.

(Cumberland County)

Camp Hill...here. I belong to Mech Sportsman and it's a great place. I'm sure WS is nice as well. Can't go wrong with either place. I like the pond at Mechanicsburg....take the kids fishing, then go and shoot a little.

(York County)

We'll have to get together for a shoot somewhere on the west shore as soon as it warms up some. Find a place non-members can get into or one guests can be brought to. I used to belong to Mech. Sport for 15 years, but after the president jerry something or another accused me of shooting in front of the covered shooting area I left that place sometime in the early 90's. F-n knucklehead come up one day when me and my wife were at the outdoor range walking back from checking our targets. When the wife and I go to check our target, we carry our firearm with us unless we know somebody is there at the benches trustworthy to keep an eye on them. He told us we had to leave them on the bench when we go to check the target, I said I won't, he threatened to kick us out, I saved him the trouble and never went back. Kind of like when I was sighting in some rifles at the Dillsburg state public range this morning. I slung my unloaded rifle and carried it down with me to check the target. I'm not about to leave a firearm 100 yards out of my reach when there was nobody there and somebody could have drove up and stole it before I could even get back to get a description of them. Sorry for the min-rant, lets get a shooting day together.

(Cumberland County)

MSA is a good club.
    Nice ranges all covered although the 25/15/7 can be a little annoying with the overhang at times. HOWEVER, there is a large area for trap as well as archery and the pond is popular year around.
    The indoor ranges are good as was previously mentioned if using the indoor centerfire its rare for someone else to be there the same time. The dues are fairly steady unlike West Shore.
    Jerry is no longer the president and the majority of members are willing to help out if your out shooting and have an issue or just general discussion.
    If you have any questions or want to get a look at things head out on a trap night or the night of the monthly meeting.
    Check the calendar for further details:

http://www.msa-pa.org/

Enjoy...

(Cumberland County)

My MSPA membership application is scheduled to be voted on at the next monthly-membership meeting (Wednesday, 06/02/2010). I plan to attend that meeting and can hopefully obtain my FOB and take the briefing for the indoor range that night. I turned in my application personally at the last membership meeting. My Father is a life member and I have very-distinct memories of using and enjoying the club's facilities as a child. It's where I learned marksmanship and the four (then the three) rules of of gun safety.

Now that I'm back in the area it's time to join up instead of paying my dad $5 to get me a guest pass when I want to take him shooting.

I'll mainly be using the gun ranges (for now) and am more than willing to help take care of them (i.e., replacing the backboards and posts (only bad shots and idiots hit the posts)). I was pleasantly surprised to see the club installed an indoor range. I will be using the ranges and will report any idiots I see damaging club property. I know to sign the log books and police up my own brass.

That overhang is annoying.

Last Father's Day (Pops isn't used to shooting modern firearms, but he's still a great shot):

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

(Cumberland County)

I have been trying to find more info on the mechanics burg sports mans club. I am not a big out doorman, just looking for a convenient, safe place to shoot pistols. Does anyone know the requirements for the indoor range? What is the membership like?

(Dauphin County)

Welcome from the east shore

(Cumberland County)

The Mech Sportsmans club is a fine place to shoot. I'm there about once per week. The indoor range is pretty small and you need to get specific permission to use it the first time and get your key fob altered to let you in the door (and pay a small fee).
    The pond is pretty nice place to fish as well.
    There is an application form online and information about the club.
    http://www.msa-pa.org/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast