Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default New Forum/LTCF member needing some help

Hello all..

First off let me just say what a cool forum! I really like the posts I have read so far and the people seem to be quite helpful.

I took some time to read through most of the applicable information on the law posted here in the forum. Also spent a few hours today looking for the generic answers to a few questions. I admit that I have some difficulty concentrating on long reads and could have over looked the generic questions but I do not think so.

Hopefully you all can shed some light. I bought my first gun this week (G19), then the next day went and got my LTCF which came in the mail yesterday. Finishing up my purchase of my second gun today (G21SF) I asked the clerk what concealed was defined as. He said that if I wore a tight shirt & the outline of the gun was exposed then I could get in trouble.

If I am reading the laws properly they do not say anything even close to what the clerk said. Their definition says that the normal person without a LTCF can have their handgun at their house & at work; if transported it must be separate than the bullets and unloaded. For a LTCF operator the gun can be on your person concealed or not since open carry is legal regardless of whether you are LTCF licensed or not; if in a car the gun can be loaded. There seems to be no "definition" of concealed listed anyware.

This is the only sense of it that I can make. To think that if anytime a LTCF member gets cought by the granny in a supermarket will get in trouble & lose their license seems to not make sense.

So my big questions are (as a licensed LTCF member):

1.) Does my firearm need to be hidden at all times to where people cannot determine what I am carying; a good example would be in the summer when it is hot and I would like to wear an A-Frame shirt where the entire gun would be exposed?

2.) If driving can my gun be loaded within my reach?

3.) How about riding on my motorcycle? Any special guidelines here or is it just like driving a car?

Thanks, Joe

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New Forum/LTCF member needing some help

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post

1.) Does my firearm need to be hidden at all times to where people cannot determine what I am carying; a good example would be in the summer when it is hot and I would like to wear an A-Frame shirt where the entire gun would be exposed? With a LTCF, you can carry concealed or openly on your person... that includes anywhere on the spectrum in between. Your example is considered a "sloppy conceal", which would be perfectly fine in PA.

2.) If driving can my gun be loaded within my reach? You can have it fully loaded duct taped to your head if you want.

3.) How about riding on my motorcycle? Any special guidelines here or is it just like driving a car? Same thing... it's considered a vehicle.

Thanks, Joe
    My answers are in blue. Some of the other guys can elaborate more I'm sure. Welcome to the forum... and don't expect gun store clerks or even the police to know about the law
    Last edited by uniballin; January 17th, 2010 at 11:10 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to PAFOA.

To answer your questions:

1.) Does my firearm need to be hidden at all times to where people cannot determine what I am carying; a good example would be in the summer when it is hot and I would like to wear an A-Frame shirt where the entire gun would be exposed?

No, your gun does not need to be concealed.

Yes.

3.) How about riding on my motorcycle? Any special guidelines here or is it just like driving a car?[/B]

Just like driving a car.

(Philadelphia County)

If you are licensed then you can carry in a vehicle (car or motorbike) the same way you can on foot, ie your choice of open or concealed. You don't have to conceal just because you have a license. The one exception to this is state parks - with an LTCF you can carry concealed but not openly.

(Allegheny County)

Well, we're not really members, we don't belong to anything.. . . maybe LTCF holders would be a better term.

1.) Does my firearm need to be hidden at all times to where people cannot determine what I am carying;
    Not by law. Since we can carry openly without a license, it would make no sense that a license would require us to conceal the gun.

Since an LTCF allows you to carry a loaded hangun on your person whilst in a vehicle, yes.

3.) How about riding on my motorcycle? Any special guidelines here or is it just like driving a car?
    Just like a car.

if transported it must be separate than the bullets and unloaded.
    The bullets are only important if they are part of a complete cartridge.
    Last edited by Wiley-X; January 17th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.

(Chester County)

Wowzers, you all are quick! Thank you again for your help. Glad to know I can still read PA statutes.

So really the permit is just as it states. If you "choose" to conceal your weapon then you are allowed to. The reason people decide to go this route is so they do not freak out others or create an issue where they can avoid it. Makes sense

(Montgomery County)

Hello all..

First off let me just say what a cool forum! I really like the posts I have read so far and the people seem to be quite helpful.

I took some time to read through most of the applicable information on the law posted here in the forum. Also spent a few hours today looking for the generic answers to a few questions. I admit that I have some difficulty concentrating on long reads and could have over looked the generic questions but I do not think so.

Hopefully you all can shed some light. I bought my first gun this week (G19), then the next day went and got my LTCF which came in the mail yesterday. Finishing up my purchase of my second gun today (G21SF) I asked the clerk what concealed was defined as. He said that if I wore a tight shirt & the outline of the gun was exposed then I could get in trouble.

If I am reading the laws properly they do not say anything even close to what the clerk said. Their definition says that the normal person without a LTCF can have their handgun at their house & at work; if transported it must be separate than the bullets and unloaded. For a LTCF operator the gun can be on your person concealed or not since open carry is legal regardless of whether you are LTCF licensed or not; if in a car the gun can be loaded. There seems to be no "definition" of concealed listed anyware.

This is the only sense of it that I can make. To think that if anytime a LTCF member gets cought by the granny in a supermarket will get in trouble & lose their license seems to not make sense.

Thanks, Joe
    1) No You don't even need an LTCF to carry it openly unless you're in a car or in philladelphia

2) It can be on your lap

3) where ever you want it

Welcome to a half normal state.

(Northampton County)

Welcome to the nuthouse! Now some people will tell you you're going to ruin it for the rest of us. Ignore that. They're doing the same thing as you are

(York County)

Wowzers, you all are quick! Thank you again for your help. Glad to know I can still read PA statutes.

So really the permit is just as it states. If you "choose" to conceal your weapon then you are allowed to. The reason people decide to go this route is so they do not freak out others or create an issue where they can avoid it. Makes sense
    Welcome!

People don't normally freak out when they see someone open carrying. (Criminals don't open carry, & most people realize that if they even notice it at all)
    You'll read about some "encounters" here on the forum, but remember those people carry openly daily & are only having one encounter with an idiot throughout al those days.

This forum is a great resource. You can get answers here in the form of cited statutes instead of misinformation from a clerk.
    You might want to stop back in that store & drop off one of our informational flyers found here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Chester County)

Too funny.. like 3 warnings that people are not very normal here. Heck, when I have time I play on bike & car sites (HD & GBody) if you are ever interested in meeting some strange people have at it just ask me for the links.. LOL

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast