Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Question Turkey gun for self defense

I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag Tactical Turkey gun with a 20" barrel and was wondering if I replace the ported turkey choke with an improved cyl if it would be all right to use 2 3/4" 00 buck for home defense

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Turkey gun for self defense

Yep... you'll be fine..

A shotgun is pretty much a shotgun.. Any choke will be fine to use, but your choice of IC is probably a better choice for home defense duties.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

I'm gettin my soapbox and hoppin on...not to blast you, but to support you...

the latest greatest tactikool trend that pushes for short barreled blasters with long mag tubes and tons of weighty add-ons (lights, lasers, ammo carriers, folding stocks, crazy sighting systems, et al) puts a major crimp in my hide; for generations, ya grabbed whatever was at hand whether it be a legally cut down double barrel or 30" barreled goose gun...if it handled buckshot it worked like a charm; not anymore...God forbid someone try to use anything but a dedicated purpose shotgun (defense, riot, tactical, etc);

back to your question...feel free and feel welcome to put any choke from full cylinder to modified and you should have great success with defending with buckshot; pattern size will depend upon type of choke used and brand of ammo

if I needed to use a shottie for defense, it would be my 24" barreled Browning BPS which has a modified choke installed the majority of time; it may not look as 'scary' as the tactikools, but it'll still put the payload out the business end of the barrel

(Venango County)

2 words.......OH S#*T.......that's what the BG will say when looking at it from the wrong end. Either choke will be about the same at the distances you are likely, or unlikely as it were, to encounter inside. I would have no problem using mine, if i couldn't get to the glock. Unfortunately it's locked in the metal cabinet, stupid laws anyway.... my 15 yr old knows how to use it, and when... but can't

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Clinton County)

When I was still a cop people would ask me about shotguns for home defense and I always recomended #2 or BB lead shot for use in the house, very effective yet unlikley do be deadly after penetrating walls, you should consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
    I'm gettin my soapbox and hoppin on...not to blast you, but to support you...

the latest greatest tactikool trend that pushes for short barreled blasters with long mag tubes and tons of weighty add-ons (lights, lasers, ammo carriers, folding stocks, crazy sighting systems, et al) puts a major crimp in my hide; for generations, ya grabbed whatever was at hand whether it be a legally cut down double barrel or 30" barreled goose gun...if it handled buckshot it worked like a charm; not anymore...God forbid someone try to use anything but a dedicated purpose shotgun (defense, riot, tactical, etc);

back to your question...feel free and feel welcome to put any choke from full cylinder to modified and you should have great success with defending with buckshot; pattern size will depend upon type of choke used and brand of ammo

if I needed to use a shottie for defense, it would be my 24" barreled Browning BPS which has a modified choke installed the majority of time; it may not look as 'scary' as the tactikools, but it'll still put the payload out the business end of the barrel

I agree. Easier for me to manipulate a shorter bbl traditional stock pump shotgun with an extension tube. No pistol grips (ouch), no bbl vent guards. Am I really going to shoot it so many times that the bbl gets so hot that I burn my hands on it??????? No sling for home defense. I am not going to have to go hands free and cuff someone in my house. Although my 870 has none of these things, and looks just like an 870, I don't disagree that a good light source would be a good addition. It is hard to manipulate a flashlight while wielding a shotty. No offense to the super tac shotguns. It is all in what you want. I just find it easier to stay simple.
    Jules