Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Philadelphia County)

Question Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG....OMG!

A little confusion here. I am seeing on Gunbroker and Guns America various sales for the .50 BMG Raufoss round. I was shocked that they were going for $50-$500 per round and wanted to know what was so special (armor piercing? explosive? guided? makes coffee? comes with its own Swedish Bikini Team??).

Did research and found on Wiki:

Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG

ZOMG!! This thing has an explosive core, a timed fuse, and a Tungsten penetrator!! x10. Apparantly it is THE round of choice for M-82 armed snipers in the IZ and OEF theaters - because it can blow through 20 inches of concrete @ 2000 m!!!!!

Then I started to realize something: Aren't the rounds being offered to civilians demilitarized, as in the PETN/Semtex core is removed?? I would think that you would need a DD Tax (Destructive Device) from the ATF to buy it otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that you can buy high explosives on the open market. IMO these are the round without the HE core. This suspicion is further heightened by the chicken-little attitude over at the Violence Policy Center; end of the world and all that because evil terorists are going to magically afford a Mk-82, this ammo, and make a 1 in a million kill shot without any training. Whenever I hear this I am pretty sure they haven't done their research, but I may be wrong.

Input?
    Last edited by OneLungMcClung; August 16th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS