Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Question Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG....OMG!

A little confusion here. I am seeing on Gunbroker and Guns America various sales for the .50 BMG Raufoss round. I was shocked that they were going for $50-$500 per round and wanted to know what was so special (armor piercing? explosive? guided? makes coffee? comes with its own Swedish Bikini Team??).

Did research and found on Wiki:

Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG

ZOMG!! This thing has an explosive core, a timed fuse, and a Tungsten penetrator!! x10. Apparantly it is THE round of choice for M-82 armed snipers in the IZ and OEF theaters - because it can blow through 20 inches of concrete @ 2000 m!!!!!

Then I started to realize something: Aren't the rounds being offered to civilians demilitarized, as in the PETN/Semtex core is removed?? I would think that you would need a DD Tax (Destructive Device) from the ATF to buy it otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that you can buy high explosives on the open market. IMO these are the round without the HE core. This suspicion is further heightened by the chicken-little attitude over at the Violence Policy Center; end of the world and all that because evil terorists are going to magically afford a Mk-82, this ammo, and make a 1 in a million kill shot without any training. Whenever I hear this I am pretty sure they haven't done their research, but I may be wrong.

Input?
    Last edited by OneLungMcClung; August 16th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG....OMG!

Here's Gunbroker with a sale:

RAUFOSS Mk211 .50 BMG

Anyone? I am mystified too.

(Berks County)

not that I'm paranoid but....

can you say entrapment???

I pity the fool that acutally wins that auction as he/she will most definetly get a visit from the gun police.

and the bidders too

just like those poor souls who bought FAL kits from Inter Ordnance a few years back.

and the same dolts that bought 'drop in' auto sears for their AR from the shotgun news ads

I would pass on this.

(Jefferson County)

d00d!!

those would be da'shiznitz 4 woodchuckz!!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

MUST SEND AMMUNITION STATEMENT AND COPY OF D.L
    Im guessing he means a class 3 dealer?

You dont need dealer papers to buy normal ammo...

(Philadelphia County)

Yah this smells funny. Hes either Class III or ATF. I don't like it. I don't even want to email the guy - I may end up on some stupid "terrorist" watchlist.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLungMcClung View Post
    Yah this smells funny. Hes either Class III or ATF. I don't like it. I don't even want to email the guy - I may end up on some stupid "terrorist" watchlist.
    I'm sure if you ask if/why/how its legal you won't end up on anything because your looking at it from a if its not legal i dont want anything to do with it standpoint..

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I'm sure if you ask if/why/how its legal you won't end up on anything because your looking at it from a if its not legal i dont want anything to do with it standpoint..
    just stick with the regular silver tip (api) there a blast to shoot but getting more expensive every day. i should of bought the 33000 tips for 1200 a couple of years ago. does anybody know where i can get a good deal on tips? besides ammunitionstore.com?

(Montgomery County)

Raufoss ammo is legal to own, and shoot.

1. not a DD because it contains less than 1/4 oz of explosive, so it does not hit the DD limit.

2. Problem is, unless some importer brought the rounds in, every round you see for sale is stolen military, Raufoss ammo is not for sale to civilians.
    It costs the US Govt about $7 per round.

3. lots of fakes out there, folks taking ball ammo and adding the green/white paint tips on it....if its real roufoss, lots of folks sell with an Xray.

4. it's definitely not THE round for the M82, but its super good in the M2 for vehicle and materiel destruction.

5. I've had and shot 2 rounds of Raufoss, its not that spectacular, a lot of sparks, and a tiny ass hole the penetrator made, regular AP and API/T is much more fun, and spotter tracer is even more fun.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Im guessing he means a class 3 dealer?

You dont need dealer papers to buy normal ammo...

No.

He isn't asking for dealer paperwork. He wants a written statement saying you are over 18 and then a copy of your driver's license.

Totally routine for ammo purchases. Look at any site that sells ammo, they want the same things.