Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default First reloading mistake

So I decided to finish up my 1lb of 748 for my 223 rounds I prepped earlier last week...

I look to my primer tray and (this is where I make my mistake) find about 9-10 rolling around primers...I looked over and saw an empty box of small rifle primers and say oh, they fell out...

After cleaning up, I found a box of small pistol primers upside down with one row open (hence the 9-10 found primers).

so long story short, what the heck will happen if i shoot a round with a small pistol primer vs. small rifle primer?

Default Re: First reloading mistake

Below is an excerpt from the Sierra reloading page.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...ics/primer.cfm

"SMALL PRIMERS Small Pistol

Used with most of the smaller handgun cartridges, from the .357 Magnum down to the .25 ACP, when faster burning, easy to ignite powders are being loaded. Small pistol primers, either standard or magnum, must not be used for rifle cartridges. The higher operating pressures common to these cartridges (even when used in a pistol, such as the T/C Contender) presents a serious risk of pierced or blown primers if the thin-cupped small pistol primers are substituted for the correct rifle primer.

Examples: Winchester WSP, Federal No.100

Small Pistol Magnum

Small Pistol Magnum primers are an appropriate choice for cartridges such as the .357 Magnum when slow burning propellants are being used, especially ball or spherical powders such as H110 or Winchester 296. They may also be a good choice for non-magnum cartridges when extremely cold shooting conditions are encountered.

Examples: CCI 550, Winchester WSPM

Small Rifle

Although they share the Small Pistol primer’s diameter (.175"), the Small Rifle primers must not be randomly interchanged for pistol loading. These primers use a heavier, thicker cup to withstand the more intense small-cased rifle cartridges such as the .222 and .223 Remingtons. Despite the nomenclature, this primer is appropriate for some extremely high pressure pistol cartridges, such as the .221 Fireball and the .357 Maximum. They are also appropriate for loading rifle cartridges such as the .223 Remington when using handguns such as the XP-100 or T/C Contender.

Examples: Remington 6 1/2, CCI 400"

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
    So I decided to finish up my 1lb of 748 for my 223 rounds I prepped earlier last week...

I look to my primer tray and (this is where I make my mistake) find about 9-10 rolling around primers...I looked over and saw an empty box of small rifle primers and say oh, they fell out...

After cleaning up, I found a box of small pistol primers upside down with one row open (hence the 9-10 found primers).

so long story short, what the heck will happen if i shoot a round with a small pistol primer vs. small rifle primer?
    I'm not sure I understand what happened.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what happened.
    he used pistol primers in his .223 reloads is what I'm understanding.

Where did the empty box of small rifle primers come from? Why only 9-10 SP primers in the loader? I'm confused.

(Delaware County)

My bench is somewhat a mess. I don't always run 100 rounds and will only take out 10,20, 30 etc. depending on my mood or if I am just testing a new charge.

It's clearly disorder on my bench in that category. I saw 9-10 (pretty sure it was only 9) and threw them in my dillon as I didn't have a new box of 100 nearby; so I thought I would just run those and then re-up the primers after I ran through those 9.

Again long story short, I have 9 rounds of 223 with small pistol primers and I guess the worst part is I'm not sure what 9 they are out of a lot of 50. From other forums the worst thing is it will puncture the primer but doesn't sound like it will blow up my AR

(Dauphin County)

Its just the first of many. When I first started out I thought I was going to wear out my bullet pulling hamer. I loaded 223 too deep and had to pull about 100 tips. Ive loaded the wrong primers in 500S&W. While pulling those bullets I wish I would have gone with a lighter crimp. Mistakes happen.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
    My bench is somewhat a mess. I don't always run 100 rounds and will only take out 10,20, 30 etc. depending on my mood or if I am just testing a new charge.

It's clearly disorder on my bench in that category. I saw 9-10 (pretty sure it was only 9) and threw them in my dillon as I didn't have a new box of 100 nearby; so I thought I would just run those and then re-up the primers after I ran through those 9.

Again long story short, I have 9 rounds of 223 with small pistol primers and I guess the worst part is I'm not sure what 9 they are out of a lot of 50. From other forums the worst thing is it will puncture the primer but doesn't sound like it will blow up my AR

So are you basically asking if you should go ahead and take a chance with the wrong primers or scrap the batch and redo?
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I'm a noob too, and let me say thanks, I plan on learning from your mistake.

As far as your predicament, I know what i'd do. 100 primers only costs a few bucks. I'd pull all 100, shoot all 100 primers, and start over.

I don't know what happens when a primer is pierced, and I hope nothing worse results, because I'd hate to learn from that mistake too.

(Lawrence County)

Rifle primers have harder cups.

I use CCI small rifle primers in .40 almost exclusively for over 30,000 rounds. They were nice insurance when I was loading Clays to major power factor..... They light easily with a 19lb mainspring in the 1911.

So.....small pistol primers are going to show signs of pressure and may go flat or flow at pressures above what they are designed for........

In other words...no....don't trust them.

Lycanbesafethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast