Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: 9mm: Pathetic or Awesome?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pathetic-I would rather throw the gun at them!

33 11.91%
  • Awesome-Drops 'em dead like Raid!

153 55.23%
  • Adequate

91 32.85%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 9mm: Pathetic or Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Where did you get these stats? Have a source?
    Probably from Marshall & Sanow's "One Stop Shot" data: http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...1/TABLE2-1.PDF

(York County)

there are many a dead soldier and others that will testify that the 9mm kills effectively.
    Every round and weapon has a pro and a con, there is no one size fits all caliber or weapon.
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Monroe County)

I think you don't want to get hit with either, but my thought is the more rounds your gun can put towards the bad guy the better,9mm has less recoil,more magazine capacity, cheaper ammo, other then that i think either one will kill you.
    "If your not prepaired to go all the way,than your not prepaired to go anywhere! " James yeager 1/9/13

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirksterg30 View Post
    I wouldn't give a lot of credence to "one-shot stops"; there are lots of problems with that concept. It doesn't take into account shot placement, psychological/physiological condition of the attacker etc.
    Marshall and Sanow's one shot stop crap is little short of fraud. They both belong in a cell somewhere for pushing that crap on the public.

In addition to the flaws that you point out, they don't count any shootings where more than one shot was fired. The percentages are as high as they are because nobody stops shooting after one round unless the target is down.

The reality is that there could be 1000 shootings with a particular round. If more than one round was fired in 900 of them, only the remaining 100 are counted. If 97 of those 100 resulted in the target going down, they claim a 97% one round stop record, when the truth is that in less than 10% of the total 1000 shootings with that round did a single shot stop the target. In truth 903 shootings out of 1000 with that round that required more than one shot to stop the target, meaning that it has a 90.3% rate of failing to stop the target with a single round.
    Last edited by AJG; January 31st, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

(Lawrence County)

Firearms are all adequate if you know how to use them.

It's been said a trillion times before. Caliber is not part of the question, only two words; Shot. Placement.

Sure, you can get into specific situational details, like; "Well there's no way your .22lr is going to penetrate armor/riot gear, but a bigger caliber will!"

I think you don't want to get hit with either, but my thought is the more rounds your gun can put towards the bad guy the better,9mm has less recoil,more magazine capacity, cheaper ammo, other then that i think either one will kill you.
    In my experience, having shot a plethora of weapons I know that mostly every 9mm pistol I've fired has -much- more recoil than my 1911 .45.

Why? because most 9mm's are compact and aren't using a 5" barrel. Shorter barrel = more recoil.

My 1911 will also carry 14+1. But you are correct in either round can kill you.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718