Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Loading .357 Magnum lead question

I wanted to try loading some .357’s using Hodgdon’s Universal powder. I would be using 158 gr lead SWC. The Hodgdon manual lists a starting charge of 6.3 gr for the 158 gr HDY XTP for a CUP of 39,300. There is nothing in the Hodgdon manual for lead. Lee’s modern reloading 2nd edition lists a starting charge of 4.0 gr for 157 lead SWC for a CUP of 33,400. I know there is a difference between the two bullets, but a spread of 2.3 grains seems like a lot. Has anyone used Universal in loading .357 lead?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Loading .357 Magnum lead question

hello, i load the 357 lswc 158 grain with universal , manual says 4.0 starting load with 890fps with a 15,700 cup thru 6.2 for 1247 fps with 33,400 cup this is the loads i use from online download from hogden powders also listed in basic 2007 soft back manual,i hope this helps you just pull hogden powders on your puter and go thru basic manual download to get pretty much any cartridge your looking for
    dale

(Washington County)

data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp.

hope this helps. I always start 10% lower than start and build up. i've noticed with H. Universal i always stay near the starting load.

(Westmoreland County)

Don't know why, but my .357 leads "up" more then anyother gun that I shoot. I just deal with it.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by coalman View Post
    hello, i load the 357 lswc 158 grain with universal , manual says 4.0 starting load with 890fps with a 15,700 cup thru 6.2 for 1247 fps with 33,400 cup this is the loads i use from online download from hogden powders also listed in basic 2007 soft back manual,i hope this helps you just pull hogden powders on your puter and go thru basic manual download to get pretty much any cartridge your looking for
    dale
    Thank you Coalman & M&P. I just looked at the Hodgdon site & it looks like the numbers match up with the Lee's number's. Such a big spead of 2.2 seems stange. Thanks to both for the info. I'll error on the side of saftey.
    Last edited by Iron Sights; January 17th, 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Don't know why, but my .357 leads "up" more then anyother gun that I shoot. I just deal with it.
    Probably one or two things , first its probably not the proper size to fill the cyl. throats .Second the lube on most commercial cast bullets sucks on ice.

(Lackawanna County)

Hard or soft lead?

For leading problems, as was mentioned - swag your barrel. Maybe you need .358 or .357, or maybe even .356, diameter bullets.

I've (regularly) loaded different commercial hard cast 158gr. LSWC to maximum charges (and - well, beyond recommended safe loadings as well) with a wide variety of powders, including Universal Clays, with virtually no leading whatsoever in any of my revolvers.

If your looking for 'low power', sub 900fps loads, I, personally, highly recomend a faster burning powder - like Bullseye or Red Dot or (a favorite of mine) TiteGroup.

Universal Clays is best when used as more of a 'mid-range power' powder - when you are going for something in-between: 'tame enough for a ten-year-old' - and - 'sprain-your-wrist, like a gosh-darned bat outta heck!'.
    Last edited by Bruce; January 17th, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Where are you getting the leading? A big biuld up of lead near the forcing cone indicates gas leakage from around the bullet meaning a) the bullet is too small in diameter and doesn't fill the rifling or b) is too hard or c) isn't being pushed fast enough. If the leading is just general leading throughout the barrel you're pushing the bullet too fast, reduce your loads a bit or use a gas checked bullet.

If you're loading lead bullets keep your loads around 1000 fps and use a size that matches the barrel groove diameter as close as possible (.358" for most U.S. made .38/.357).

As a matter of fact there's an article covering the subject in the Feb 2010 Shooting Times, written by Allan Jones entitled The Lowdown on Lead Fouling. Enjoy reading it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    If you're loading lead bullets keep your loads around 1000 fps and use a size that matches the barrel groove diameter as close as possible (.358" for most U.S. made .38/.357).
    I routinely stuff my .357 Magnum cases with 18gr. (sometimes a bit more) of Lil'Gun set off with mag. primers under a 158gr. Lead SemiWadcutter , and - my best guesstimates - those are moving (probably well) above 1,200 fps.

The 148gr. Wadcutters (set above even more powder) surely fly at even higher speeds than that!

I've never had any problem with leading. In fact, I get less "fouling" with lead than with copper jacketed (depending on the powders/loads). And, no - these are not gas checked bullets - just ordinary, hard cast lead (look like probably the Lyman 158gr. SWC mold) with whatever 'blue colored' lube they use.

All of my revolvers seem happiest with .358 158gr. lead bullets (which give me the tightest groups), but also have no leading problems with .357 diameter 148gr. bullets.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Susquehanna County)

Gee Bruce, Congratulations, I wish you continued success with your experimentation.

Since Hodgdon Powder doesn't list Li'l Gun for any cast lead bullet loads (at least not in their online Reloading Data or in my 2004 version of their book) you're really entering unknown territory. I'd be intersted in learning how you developed the load and seeing actual chronographed results of your loads fired from your guns.

BTW, I take it your using Double Base Wadcutters instead of Hollow Base Wadcutters.

One of the oddities I've found with Hodgdon data is their practice of publishing the velocity data from their pressure barrel test in the reloading data. Consequently the pressure they show is spot on according to industry standards, but, since they use an 18" barrel test fixture the velocity data is way higher than you can ever reach with standard pistols

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast