Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Targetworld

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Targetworld

Simply as devils advocate, you should have checked the revolver was clear and handed it to him with the cylinder open, even though you had checked it at home. Checking a gun is clear isn't just for safety, it's also good etiquette.

(Montgomery County)

I think I too have made the last trip up that long flight of stairs. Stopped in there yesterday just on the odd chance they may have had Foliage Green Pmag. Of course, they didn't. So I looked around a bit for some other odds and ends (Uncle Mike's endplate sling mount for $40 +? Seriously?) and perused the knives (at butt-rape prices) then was asked by an employee if I needed help. Told him I was looking for a Pmag, you don't have any, no biggie. He tells me to call Thursday (nah) and that "you really want them. They're better than the aluminum mags (depends on use and who you ask, and whether that matters) and they're cheaper." Wait? A twelve-dollar mag is more than the Magpuls that you charge $22 for? That explains why the old beat up alu's didn't have prices on them.

Yes, I bought my Ruger there, as well as my AR. I will not spend another dime there, except for POSSIBLY the range. And that's only because it's close to work. Their ammo prices are high, guns prices ($425 for a second-gen glock?), well, that's been discussed, and on more than one occasion recently I've seen clerks who need to be educated "talking down" to the potential customer. I honestly used to like the place. Maybe because it was the first place I fired a handgun, or location........whatever. They annoy me now.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Bucks County)

I don;t think they are going to be around much longer (at least not in the current location). In speaking with a few people that work there and at other shops I have been told that the location is for sale and the only reason they haven't moved is because the buyer is having problems getting financing. From what I hear, they are planning a super Wawa in that location. If/When they move they will most likely not re-open the range due to not being able to get approval from the township. If that happens they I don;t see how they can continue doing business at such high prices.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    Simply as devils advocate, you should have checked the revolver was clear and handed it to him with the cylinder open, even though you had checked it at home. Checking a gun is clear isn't just for safety, it's also good etiquette.
    I do hand revolvers over with the cylinders out, and autos with the slide locked back. If I bring a gun in to a store to sell, or to a gunsmith, however, I just hand them the case, employees at many shops don't want guns uncased by customers on their property, where they're liable for injury and damages. Of course, this only helps if they train their employees properly...

(Montgomery County)

A friend of mine bought a revolver there a few months ago so I stopped in one day. I was impressed with their amount of safes and firearms, but the prices seemed a bit high to me. They did have a few things I was looking for that I haven't seen in other shops. It seems like a nice place to check out a firearm or safe but I doubt I'll ever purchase from them.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

Load and unload the gun only in your booth. Never load or unload any gun anywhere else. Keep the barrel of the gun pointed downrange at all times. With the exception of Target World sponsored leagues, all firing will be conducted from the booth firing line. The bench behind the firing line is to be used for equipment placement only, and is not to be used to load firearms.

(Montgomery County)

I stopped in there last night to shoot my new M&P, and afterwards I took a trip upstairs to see if they had any Hornady Critical Defense ammo, and they actually seemed to have competent somewhat knowledgeable and very friendly individuals working at the time. Kinda surprised me for once. Not that I would ever buy anything from them because of high prices, and negative experiences in the past, but for once it was nice to see the employees actually care.

Proud member of:

(Montgomery County)

Some of the guys are actually pretty cool, and know their shit too. But it's way too hard to find thosse guys on a regular basis. Those types should be the rule, not the exception.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Montgomery County)

Figure Id give an update on Target World even though I didnt make this thread.

I live a few minutes from this store so Ive been there a lot. Since 2010 when this thread was made they have gotten a fair amount of new employees I believe. Most of them are pretty good, a few just piss me off. There is 1 short guy there that doesn't know jack shit and one big dude that doesn't know shit either. He was explaining to me yesterday how Colt AR's are garbage and that I would be better off with a Stag. He also said that Remington 700's were terrible as well when I asked him what he thought.

Target World thrives on new gun owners who don't know much. The most sales Ive seen in that store are first time buyers or guys buying something for their wife who don't know shit about shit.

There are definitely 4 or 5 guys there that are pretty cool and know a lot of stuff. So it probably is better in that aspect than it was 2 years ago.

The prices are still out of bounds though, I don't plan on buying any new firearms there. I only go there for the range and to look around. I was going to make a new thread about how I wanted to crack up laughing when this guy was talking to me about the lack of quality colt ARs but I found this thread and just decided to add to it.
    Last edited by JW1914; September 16th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

(Bucks County)

I live in the area and go to both Tanner's and Target World very often. The biggest difference between the two (other than price) is the social skill set of the salespeople. Tanner's - never met any sales staff there (and they change staff like the weather) that treated me with anything other than respect and they always give me all the time I want patiently. Target World - oh boy could these guys use some social skills training. They all have the personality of 30 grit sandpaper.

And when I make the above statement - I think I can do so with some authority. I probably have had 80 visits per year to each of these shops.so it's not just a few visit observation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast