Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default AK barrel threading questions

To my understanding, most AK's have a flash hider welded to the end of the barrel. What's the deal with this? I've pretty much settled on an AK in the $500 range to spend some tax return money on. Eventually, I do want to get into suppressors, even if it's years down the road. I don't want to have to buy another AK, or another barrel. (although it's possible that I will, but that's not the point)

In the mean time, I wouldn't mind playing around with different types of flash hiders. Which AK's have the thread welded closed, and which AK's would I be able to take the flash hider off at will?

Also, isn't the thread on AK barrels reversed>?

As in you turn left to tighten and right to loosen?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: AK barrel threading questions

Most AK's to my knowledge do have a LH thread.
    I think those that have welded on brakes are those produced during the now sunset ban years. In effect that made them part of the barrel.
    I don't think any of the current AK models being placed on the market have a welded on brake.

Some if not most of those older models can have their welds cut.
    Some still have been blind pinned and then welded over.
    Others may have a round "nut" welded in place over the threads.
    Most if not all can be removed and require different skill levels.
    I may be wrong but I think one model had the threads on the end of the barrel mostly removed and a "nut" welded in place.

So there are many different variations that we could come across out there of whats been done to the muzzle end of the AK barrel assy.

Of course some care must be done during this operation.

On my home forum we had a member that did this very thing on one of the new AK pistols being sold these days. The thread got pretty buggered up that required rechasing the threads but the end result was positive.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Allegheny County)

It really depends on what AK you buy.

The ones that have a nut welded where built pre-ban and were not imported yet. So to import them they had to tack weld the nut on or they turn down the thread.

A large number of AKs come with threaded barrels and removable flash hiders.

MAK90s usually have a welded nut or turned down threads. Not sure about WASRs, but I'm sure someone will chime in about theirs.

If it was a kit build they will have threaded barrels. If they were imported built, good chance they have a barrel nut welded on.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Indiana County)

Original AK barrel threads are left handed.

There is no definitive answer to your question, most current production AKs will be threaded with removable muzzle devices, but not all due to some states still having goofy restrictions. As previously stated, during-ban guns will be welded or some other form of permanent attachment method.

Unfortunately, the only way to be sure the AK you want has a removable muzzle device is to personally check before you buy. AKs use a detent to keep the brake from backing off, simply push it in and try it.