Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts Kits?

(Montgomery County)

Default Parts Kits?

I was wondering, do the parts kits they sell online have everything I'd need to actually build the rifle? for example I was looking at an Ak-47 parts kit from IOinc which I guess is now royal tiger imports...

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/ind...emart&Itemid=2

Link is here ^^

What would I need to complete this rifle? is it possible?

Thanks
    Anthony

EDIT Looks like no receiver, where would I get one?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Parts Kits?

Correct, no receiver. Since the receiver is the serialized "gun" part they can ship the parts kit directly to you without it.
    NoDak Spud receivers seem to be well regarded. I've been looking in to parts kits myself lately.

(Bucks County)

EDIT Looks like no receiver, where would I get one?[/QUOTE]

I have gotten several from this company. Excellent quality and pretty much have a reciever for what ever build you are doing. There are more companies out there but I can speak from experience for this one.

http://www.nodakspud.com/

(Montgomery County)

Just a head's up. Putting your own AR together is like Ikea furniture, not that hard, putting together an AK kit requires skill, equipment, and other parts.

I've run into people who assume they are going to save money with an AK parts kit. It often costs just as much or more to build your own. I would only get a parts kit if you:

a) want spare parts as a "back up"

or

b) have the skill, equipment, knowledge to build your own.

PS- sometimes Yugo kits are sold without trunnions too.

(Lancaster County)

Aside from the receiver you'll need the compliant US made parts too.
    Also the fastening system parts. Rivets/Screw

Figure which build method you're going to do and add tooling cost for a rivet if it's your first time and you don't have access to a friends. Same goes for a screw build. Tap(s) and drillls.

Seem like a good price for the kit you have linked.
    I don't know anything about the company selling them.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Allegheny County)

Typically you will need the following:

1. The kit
    2. a receiver (NoDak Spud is the best)
    3. Rivets
    4. Compliance parts.

Typical compliance parts:
    Trigger Group (Tapco) = 3 parts
    Gas Piston = 1
    US Muzzle Attachement = 1

Remember when figuring out what parts your going to use for your compliance parts, that those are US barrels so that's 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Indiana County)

With the current price of already assembled AKs, parts kits are pretty much just that, spare parts.

Unless you already have the tooling and can do the work yourself, buying a kit to assemble a rifle is not cost effective at this time.
    The kit you linked to has a US made barrel, which means it will have to be installed into the trunnion, not a typical home build process.
    The receivers are not blued or finished, so unless you have bluing/parking tanks or are going to rattle can it, this is yet another cost.

the kit $199.95
    Nodak economy receiver $55
    US parts $70+

If you add on gunsmith fees for anything that you cannot do yourself, you can see why just buying one outright is the way to go IMO, in the current market.

New Romanians can easily be found for $400/$450 and many times cheaper according to internet chatter.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    With the current price of already assembled AKs, parts kits are pretty much just that, spare parts.

Unless you already have the tooling and can do the work yourself, buying a kit to assemble a rifle is not cost effective at this time.
    The kit you linked to has a US made barrel, which means it will have to be installed into the trunnion, not a typical home build process.
    The receivers are not blued or finished, so unless you have bluing/parking tanks or are going to rattle can it, this is yet another cost.

the kit $199.95
    Nodak economy receiver $55
    US parts $70+

If you add on gunsmith fees for anything that you cannot do yourself, you can see why just buying one outright is the way to go IMO, in the current market.

New Romanians can easily be found for $400/$450 and many times cheaper according to internet chatter.
    With Romanians I completely agree. The difference is if you are looking for something a little different. I find myself being more and more interested in kits than complete guns. That's mainly because I'm interested in different variants though.

But for a standard AK, it's not really worth building a Romanian kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

To do it right (and easiest) at a minimum for tools you will need a 12 ton press (I got mine as a Christmas present), a drill press, and a bolt cutter rivet too (borrowed from a guy I met online)l. That is a bolt cutter with the cutter jaws replace with jaws altered to press rivets. Several people still sell them online. And a Dremel tool is very nice also.

During the process of removing the old cut up receiver you will learn a lot about how it needs to be re-assembled. I believe there are still a couple very good "how to build" stickies on www.Gunsnet.net.

Hardest thing for me was pressing the barrel pin out...some of those are tough. That is why you need the 12 ton press. Pressing the barrel out of and back in the trunion is not so difficult.

A few years ago when Romanian kits were $99.00, it was pretty much accepted that if you had to buy all the things to build one AK, it was cheaper to buy a completed rifle. But, if you were going to build a lot of them you could come out ahead buying the tools, receivers, kits and putting them together.

I kind of rambled here but I hope it give you an idea of some of the things you will need. All this is based on my experience only.

(Allegheny County)

I considered building a kit and I still might. (As I'd like to build a 5.45 Bulgarian pistol without paying $1200 for one.) But if you buy all the cool little jigs they make to do a NICE job on a real rivet build. It's almost $400 in tools alone.

Now assuming you take say a Bulgarian rifle kit, buy a few parts you'd need and modify the rest. You could definitely come out ahead. However if I just wanted a 5.45 rifle... I can get a Saiga for $360. Completely not even remotely worth it at all.

If I had a stack of kits it would be worth it. But at today's going rate where Romanian kits are nearly $400 and barrels are getting scarce... it's almost not even close to worth tooling up to build a few. And I have friends that would go in on all the stuff to build them in a heart beat.

And it's still not worth it if viewed strictly from a monetary standpoint. Still might do it, just for the experience at some point. But it's not on my short list of things to do at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast