Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Winchester Model 670 Questions???

I have a Winchester Model 670 bolt action .30-06 that I have "inheretid" and I have a couple of questions that I hope some one can help me with.

First off the person that I got it from had nothing really to do with me and I did not know them well. The just gave it to me. So I know nothing about this particular rifle itself and it has no sentimental value to me. However it is in pretty good shape and there are things that I like about it A LOT!

So what I like is that it came to me wearing a gorgeous blonde stock which from my research is kind of rare or not normal. Also it does not seem to be refinished. The second thing that I like is that the trigger feels SUPER nice.

Now the thing that I don't like is that someone removed the bluing from the barrel, just the barrel, and this has caused some pitting. The bore is like new even though the outside of the barrel is pitted and shows NO rust. I thought of rebluing but I don't really feel like doing the work for something that I'm not going to use.

SO.... what I really want to find out is if this rifle's parts are all interchangable with a model 70? I would like to find a .25-06 barrel to put on this rifle or perhaps some other interesting caliber. I have 3 .30-06 rifles now without this one and I would rather make it into some thing that I like than sell it and buy something different. I don't want to ream the bore bigger either since I already have a .300 win mag and a .35 whelen. Guess I could go .338-06 but I'm not that interested. My long action caliber choices would be .25-06, 6.5-06, or .264 win mag but I don't know if the last is possible with this rifle. Can't shrink the bore so I guess that means NEW BARREL TIME.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!

P.S. I will take pics soon
    Last edited by Feddog82; January 17th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Winchester Model 670 Questions???

If you are thinking of replacing the barrel you can surely go to a smaller caliber. Just keep in mind the action length and the bolt face specs.
    The 7x57 would make a dandy rifle.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Somerset County)

The 270 and 280 aren't on your list. Taking that a bit further, what about an Ackley improved version of ???

Dale

(Delaware County)

Well, the thing is I would like to keep it to a caliber that doesn't closely relate to sprecific rifles that I already have. I want to obviously use the Long Action calibers that have the same bolt face design as the .30-06 cartride to keep the work to the gun at a minimum. So or me that pretty much brings me down to the .25-06 since I have no quarter bores. I have many .30 cal rifles, a healthy collection of 6.5 swedes, a bunch of .243/6mms, and several different .22 calibers. On the upswing in calibers I have a .300 win mag, a .35 whelen, and a .45-70 single shot. Soooo I just firgured that a .270 or .280 is very close to being the .30-06 itself with the performance/feel. I do not want to go UP in bore size since I don't hae much use for the BIG calibers. I just always felt that a .25 cal would be nice to have. I would actually like a .250 savage or .257 roberts a little better. Or maybe even a .257 Weatherby. But I do not think that those rounds would work on the .30-06 bolt face though I am not sure.

So, does anyone know of a good reputable gunsmith in the SouthEast PA area that would be able to rebarrel this Winchester model 670 to a .25-06 for me?

(Somerset County)

Both the 250 and 257 have the same head size as the '06. I don't know if there would be problems with the shorter cases in the long magazine.

Nothing wrong with a 25-06 either. I suggested an AI version thinking you might want something a bit offbeat.

I had Bob Ricci do some work for me. I picked him based on some good reports in the gunsmithing forum. A phone call is faster, he said he doesn't check email very often.

http://www.gordonssportssupply.com/g...b_site_023.htm

see you on the campfire

Dale K
    Last edited by dk99358; January 19th, 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: clarity