Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .40 S&W

(Washington County)

Default .40 S&W

I currently use hodgdon universal 5.5gr for a 155gr .40S&W. Has anyone tried Hodgdon titegroup for the .40 155gr. i also use CCI 500 primers with 1.125 OAL. Any good recipes for titegroup? any suggestions?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: .40 S&W

I use IMR 800x for .40 S&W with very good, consistent results. I use 7.7 gr powder with a 160 gr TMJ projectile. Sorry, I don't have recipe for titegroup... but if you're just looking for a better load, give 800x a try.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Dauphin County)

I have used the powder for .223 rem. I have used it with with the .40S&W also but I just used the starting load data from one of my manuals. Other than I know it went bang I cant say anything else about it. I just used it because of the small powder charges. The 223 uses 3gr for a 55gn FMJ. Like the bottle says alittle goes a long way. I'll get back here when I find my load data.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    I have used the powder for .223 rem. I have used it with with the .40S&W also but I just used the starting load data from one of my manuals. Other than I know it went bang I cant say anything else about it. I just used it because of the small powder charges. The 223 uses 3gr for a 55gn FMJ. Like the bottle says alittle goes a long way. I'll get back here when I find my load data.
    Three grains ?? In 223?

I can't imagine that it would be anything but a KaBoom in waiting.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    Three grains ?? In 223?

Flash
    What Flash said. Three grains sounds WAY underpowered!
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Chester County)

I’ve used Tightgroup for 223 / 55 grain jacketed. It makes a nice subsonic load for a bolt action. Hodgdon calls for 3.1 grains for 1064 fps. I Also use Clays and Bluedot for reduced jacketed loads in 223. It lets you use your 223 like a 22 mag or 22 Hornet.

For 40 S&W I use 4 grains of Tightgroup under a Winchester 180 grain JHP for my carry gun (beretta 96fs). It cycles well with good expansion and manageable recoil for good follow up shots. For 155 gr. Hodgedon calls for 5.4 – 5.9 grains. I would stay towards the lower end as long as your pistol cycles reliably. You could probably go a little lower depending on the gun and slide spring but make shue the bullet clears the barrel before firing again. Always check for an obstruction if the shot feels or sounds unusual or the gun does not cycle. If you want a hotter load, remember to work up slowly.

Hope this helps

(Westmoreland County)

I load 5.2 gr. of titegroup with a 155 gr. berry rs bullet. It works for me. I plan on trying power pistol and/or WSF just for the heck of it.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

(Dauphin County)

I just looked and I never wrote down my load for titegroup. My 223 load for titegroup is for my AR. It wont cycle but its fun. Its like a slow 22lr. You can hear the bullet hit the target and its quiet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Three grains ?? In 223?

Flash
    +1 I'm with you.

Rule #6 (at the bottom of the page) and Rule #7.

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/DevelopSubsonic.html

Let's be careful out there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I currently use hodgdon universal 5.5gr for a 155gr .40S&W. Has anyone tried Hodgdon titegroup for the .40 155gr. i also use CCI 500 primers with 1.125 OAL. Any good recipes for titegroup? any suggestions?
    I love Titegroup! I haven't perfected in in .40 S&W yet, though have shot 4.6 under a 165 TMJ (WSP primer, don't recall OAL). I also like 4.5 gr for .45 ACP 230 FMJ (WLP, 1.250 OAL).

Efficient, clean, versatile, and accurate.