Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Scope recomendations

Hey everyone.I have a lee enfeild no4 mk 1 And I want to scope it out to be a nice long range rifle.

I want to get into optics.Can you guy direct me to some entry level variable power scopes with external turrets, not this stuff you need to adjust with a stupid screw driver.Mil dot reticule.

I still want to be able to use my irons on the rifle,being a firm believer in having functional irons as backup.

Im looking for something thats priced at 350 dollars max.
    Gott mit uns

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Scope recomendations

please don't ruin a nice enfield by adding a scope. if your interested in long range shooting buy yourself a nice savage or ruger bolt action and add a scope to it. if your willing to spend 350 on a scope you'd be much better off shopping around and buying a used bolr action that is already scoped. there's a really nice heavy barrel savage in 308 w/scope, rings & bipod for sale at a local shop in my area for around 500 bucks. the same shop has gorgeous heavy barrel ruger m77 in 243 with a nice scope for a little more than 500 bucks. both of these rifles along with most modern bolt actions would be better choices for long range shooting than an enfield.

(Lebanon County)

When buying a scope, BUY THE BEST that you can afford, don't settle for cheap "FOR NOW" til I can afford a better one.. If you can't afford the best one then wait until you can.

I bought a scope for my SPS, a cheaper one that I could afford at the time. I hated it, it was not right for the rifle.. In the long run I spent 400 on a very good Nikon scope. But, in total payout for scopes for that rifle was over 600. What a waste of 200 bucks!

(Lehigh County)

In that price range I like the WoTac scopes (http://www.sightwonders.com/wotac.html). However, a bushy 3200 series would also fit in there (as well as some offerings from nikon). For around ~400 you could pick up a supersniper from SWFA or a falcon scope. I'm not sure what vortex offers in that price range, but I believe they do have something with tactical turrets on it.

Matt has great customer service, and the WoTac scopes are very solid. That is what I would personally go with given your funds.

Some of them were used as sniper rifles. I'd try to find a scope & mounts from that period. Probably won't find one for $350. Some also had the long range flip-up peep sights. If it's in original condition, I'd keep original parts on it, but it's your gun. Do what you want.

Like wellcraft said, you can get a Savage for close to your scope budget & it'd be better suited for long range than the .303.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

S & K Scope Mounts builds one of the if not the finest aftermarket Non-Gunsmithing mounts for 'retired' military rifles like yours.
    Not inexpensive butT no apology for consistant rugged performance.

Searcher67 had some strong sage advice on patience on an optics purchase.

See so many poor optics, read too much sales literature, and hear too many sales pitches that are just plain ignorance or 'BS'. Suppose I'll see & hear alot more at the SHOT Show. Unfortunately will miss the preview of new firearms at firing range tomorrow.

PSUfan1 suggested the very good Bushnell 3200. Elite 5-15x40 Tac is in your desired price range.

Also suggest looking at Burris Fullfield II Tactical (1"), and if some more 'coin' can be dug up the Burris TAC 30.

With either of the above you'll be buying the very best bang for your buck.

Leupold, swarovski. You get what you pay for.
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.