Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Red face Quest for a 1911

In my insane quest for the ultimate prize 1911 I have found the Nighthawk website and found a couple of models I like. Does anyone have any info on these pistols and are the worth the price?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Quest for a 1911

It's all naught.

You need to shoot a lot of 1911's and listen to the tiny voice that cries out to you.

Lycanit'snotalwaysthebrandthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Quest for a 1911

Nighthawk, the Wilson Customs, et.al., are all QUITE good, & will certainly get the job DONE, but the question you have to ask yourself is - is a NINETY-SIX YEAR OLD PISTOL DESIGN, WORTH $2,000.00 - $3,000.00?!?! I'm thinking, not...

First of all, I own both a Springfield 1911A1, and a S&W 1911. The Springfield was gone over by a gunsmith, 'tuned up' a bit (4lb trigger, ambi-safeties added, & a mild throat job, to handle Cor-Bon flying ashtrays back in the day), & I added Hogue wrap-around grips. It's blued, and nothing fancy to look at, but I've got about $600 in it, and it's served me quite well for over 12 years now.

I JUST got the S&W last month - had ambi-safeties added to it, but it's GREAT out of the box, and even has Trijicon sights! It was used, but is stainless steel, only cost me $550, and with the ambi-safeties added, I still have less than $700 in it, and it should last a good long time as well.

Since one does not bring a pistol to a riflefight, I presume you're looking at a carry piece, for personal defense. As FBI stats bear out over several DECADES, the STANDARD distance for a pistol fight, remains at about 7 yards (21 ft.). At 20 ft. - a distance I DO practice on the range fairly regularly, and it looks kinda 'silly' to some folks - I can just about group everything in an inch from the HIP... LEFT-handed (I'm a righty)! With that in mind, what - exactly - is your $2,800.00 model 1911 going to "do," that my $650 1911's CAN'T do?

Don't misunderstand me - I'm ALL for quality! If money is ABSOLUTELY NO object, than by all means, buy the ABSOLUTE BEST of EVERYTHING, I say! BUT... if your budget is NOT 'limitless,' and especially if you want to pick up some additional ordnance, my suggestion would be, to kick it down a notch on the pistol, and maybe spend a little more on a good rifle, or even just ammo.

I hear the quality on the CURRENT Kimbers is NOT what it used to be; nonetheless, you can have one of their TOP-of-the-line pistols, for HALF what you want to spend on a Nighthawk. Pick up a ten year older model - used, but top of the line - have a 'smith go over it if you like, and now you're down to only about a thousand buck outlay. Or EVEN drop down to a cheaper <<<GASP!>>> S&W, Springfield, AutoOrdnance, ParaOrdnance, et.al., and save another hundred or two, OR... order a match grade frame, slide, & barrel, & let a good 'smith build you one to spec from the ground up!

I think a Nighthawk would be a FINE pistol, to serve you well the rest of its life AND yours, and would make for a damn fine conversation piece, anywhere you went with it. You could be proud to show it off, and maybe hand it down to your son some day, and it will always carry a premium value with it, because it's a VERY fine piece. If you want to take up target shooting competitively, I'd say you'd have a winner right out of the box with one of their pistols on your hip.

BUT...if what you're really looking for is a GOOD, SOLID, RELIABLE firearm for everyday carry, EVEN as a cop, for instance, I believe there is a "law of diminishing returns" on the 1911, and most ANY amount over a thousand dollars, for all but the most competitive of shooters, is money spent on performance that the AVERAGE shooter, CANNOT effectively wring OUT of such a pistol. To put it another way, you can give me Tony Stewart's shop, pit crew, #20 chevrolet, and all the pointers about driving you want - it does NOT mean however, that I will go out and win 3 out of the next 4 NASCAR races! Putting a super-duper custom pistol in MY hands, does not make ME, the next ISPC champion.

Let me know what you think.

Bob

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Quest for a 1911

I all ready have a Kimber PRO CDP II that I carry almost all the time and a Smith 1911 in stainless with a Streamlight M6 light/laser to get me from the bed to the shotgun a Para single stack single action and a Taurus 1911 on layaway. I like the fact that this type of pistol has been around 96 years it shows it's definitely not some fad or fly by night design it's a combat/defensive pistol that was designed to be just that and if you treat it well it will treat you well. I started out with a Browning Hi Power and went to the 1911 and that's what I shoot the best. But I was yearning for a show piece sorry lost my train of thought there think I mite have a bear in my backyard something just pulled down a tree and was trying to drag it off. Just looking for a high end piece but don't want a race gun I like service type of pistol.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    It's all naught.

You need to shoot a lot of 1911's and listen to the tiny voice that cries out to you.

Never, and I mean NEVER, admit you hear voices... they section 303 people for that = no more guns for you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Quest for a 1911

Just looking for a high end piece but don't want a race gun I like service type of pistol.
    Than I - for one - am jealous! If you can add a Nighthawk, to what already sounds like a nice little pistola collection, than you ARE... da' MAN! All I ask, is that you post LOTS of pictures, and brag excessively about it when you get it, so the rest of us can at LEAST drool for a bit.

Bob

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    It's all naught.

Agreed. When it comes to guns in general, and ESPECIALLY 1911s, you'll get a different answer from everyone on which is the best one. The only way to know for sure is to try out as many as you can and buy the one that you shoot best, is most comfortable, and is within your price range.

ChamberediwannabelikelycanRound
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    ChamberediwannabelikelycanRound
    Why, may I ask, would you want to lower yourself like that?

billireallylikelycanamj
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Quest for a 1911

The trouble is when it comes to 1911's the voice in my head is more like a choir (a very large choir). And then there's my wife's voice!

(Lycoming County)

Default I have one

FWIW, I have a Nighthawk Talon II with EB bobtail.

I have also had the pleasure of shooting Talons, Predators, a Predator II and a Dominator.

The fit and finish of the NHs is among the finest in the industry. Attention to detail is total, with plenty of little tricks, like top of slide serrations, rear of slide checkering etc. The bobtail is a very nice modification, which really does aid in concealment. The slides on all the NHs I've fondled are buttery smooth with that, honest-to-god needle bearing feel. Mine is Permacoat and shows only minimal holster wear at the muzzle and thumb safety.

I have found this pistol to be sneaky-accurate for a commander sized gun. It has no trouble punching one ragged hole at 15yds. The balance in the hand is eyebrow raising, every time I hold it.

My other 1911s are Les Baer and I must say, I consider them a far better value. They are incrementally more accurate and offer an altogether different feel, which I personally prefer. The finish is no where near as aesthetically pleasing as the NH's, however.

NH's customer service is as good as it gets in the industry and the people there are warm and friendly.

Only you can decide whether NH, or any other high end gun is worth the money. These guns are not for the guy who only wants a gun to go bang. These are niche tools of serious quality and unique craftsmanship.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast