Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Kel-tec P11

(Monroe County)

Thumbs up Kel-tec P11

I have been shooting for quite some time with a variety of pistols. Since moving to PA and obtaining my LTCF I have ramped-up my shooting and training. My choice of carry pistol is either my Sig P220 or P228. Both guns were purchased when I was 21 and have many, many rounds thru them. All without and trouble.

Anyone familiar with these guns can agree that they are fairly big when it comes to "shorts and t-shirt" weather. I am 5' 11" and weigh between 165-172lbs. I run a Comp-tac Gladiator holster for both guns. So I felt that I needed something smaller for warmer weather.

I wanted a very small 9mm that wasn't striker-fired (sorry Glock) and had at least a 10 round capacity. Something smaller than my 228, which is a bit wide in the grip-area. I researched Kel-tec, Bersa, CZ, SKYY, and a few others. The Kel-tec P11 won on price, capacity, and DOA trigger. Did I mention price??

Anyway, my first impression of the gun was fair. It is not a Sig or an H&K or 1911 and shouldn't be thought as such. It is basic, like an AK-47. The finish is nice, but a bit rough in spots. The design is minimalistic and simple. That's probably why it works well and is inexpensive. That seems to be just fine for the people at Kel-tec and their many happy customers.

After getting the pistol and doing the recomended "fluff-and-buff" I added some extras. I wanted a small pistol, but I didn't want it to feel like one. I began by adding magazine finger extensions, trigger shoe and a Handall Jr. grip cover. The grip sleeve added only minor width to this already narrow gun. I can deal with an added 1/8"-3/16" inch width if the comfort is increased, and it was.

A homemade steel target was used today. The target was set at 30 yds. Very far for a gun designed for personal defense, but I was testing the function and not accuracy. I had a bunch of Critical Defense laying around because I didn't like their point-of-impact out of the 228. That seemed to be a good starting-point for this gun. I also brought along some handloads. Some guns are picky when it comes to overall length, so my test was to make the gun malfunction.

The gun has a LOOONG trigger-pull. Some people might have an issue with it. I am used to long trigger-pull because of my revolver experience, so that wasn't a problem. The trigger ran smooth and firm the whole way thru the pull. I really mean smooth. Reset is long because of DOA, but also not a problem.

Slow-fire with this gun is easy as pie. Close your eyes and its like shooting a very light revolver with a 10 shot capacity. Recoil was nothing. I have heard about this gun having a snappy recoil, but I think that is from people running +P ammo thru it. The Critical Defense is a 115 grain load at standard preasure. It functioned beautifully thru the P11. Point-of-impact was just right of point-of-aim at 30 yds, just two inches.

After establishing the point-of-aim ALL rounds were within a four inch splash on the steel target. This included some 124 grain lead round-nosed handloads I made up for the function test. There were no malfunctions and the brass was tossed clear of the gun and shooter. The powder residue on the feed-ramp allowed me to see where the rounds were contacting it as they fed. All rounds contacted within the top third of the feed-ramp. There was no nose-diving like the EAA Witness Steel compacts exhibit.

After less than 100 round I can say that this little gun has potential, but only time will tell if I can trust my life to it. By the middle of summer I should have put more that 2000 rounds of different brand and bullet design thru it. I will figure out the basic diet for this gun and hopefully not be disappointed.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Kel-tec P11

Welcome. There are many of us here on this board, as well as in the greater world outside, who trust the P-11 as the primary Concealed Carry .

And if you ever need it, customer service is above reproach.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

have to agree.. the P11 is a ugly little gun, but functions well, mine has never missed a beat.

beware... its not glove friendly. I wore gloves shooting it one time (cabelas kangaroo leather roper gloves)... the glove can get caught under the trigger after a shot, when it resets.

skintight leather gloves are OK
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    have to agree.. the P11 is a ugly little gun, but functions well, mine has never missed a beat.
    Whadda you mean UGLY?
    Remember- BEAUTY is in the eye of the beholder.

My P11 is georgous.....

(Monroe County)

Ran more ammo thru the gun today. This time I put a few clips of Georgia Arms 9mm 115 "canned heat" down range. There was more noticable recoil compared to the Critical Defense. The gun tossed all brass up, over and to the right of the shooter.

My 14 year old son also commented on the guns accuracy. He wasn't bothered by the trigger either. His only issue was racking the slide. The springs are a lot stiffer compared to his Taurus 809.

Now for a cleaning and some J&B bore polish.

(Montgomery County)

Here is my experience with the P-11.

Bought it in September, the sales clerk said it might need some breaking in. This was a bit disturbing, but not unusual for semi-autos I learned.

First time at the range it worked flawlessly. I was delighted.
    After several trips to the range and 500 rounds, still not a misfire or stovepipe or fail to feed. Took any brand of ammo, HP or FMJ, any weight. Ate it up. Bliss.

Next trip to the range ... and the slide wouldn't stay open when the magazine was empty. Huh?

Called KelTec and they thought the tab might be broken off inside where the magazine pushes it up after the last round. Sure enough, it was gone. They sent a new one, free! Great!
    Received it, put it in, problem solved.

Next couple of trips to the range and 100 rounds later and all was well. Until the time I pulled the trigger and it stayed pulled. Wouldn't return to position. Hm... now what?

Well, the long leg of the coiled up trigger return spring slipped out of position. Took it home, disassembled it, put a slight kink in the spring so it couldn't slip out of place again and it worked fine.

Aside from these minor glitches I was always trying to "tweak" the gun to make it feel right. Pinky extensions, trigger shoe, fluff and buff. I even made a trigger stop from an eraser which someone suggested. (Kinda helped with that looong trigger pull.)

What I learned: Kel Tec is a good company that stands behind their products. It's a solid, accurate, economical gun that's fun to shoot even if it's a bit quirky. If you've got some basic tools and skills, all the better. I didn't mind working on it, after all it wasn't a million dollar gun and I wasn't expecting perfection.

But for peace of mind: I traded it in on a revolver.

I know others swear by this gun and I wish them all the best. But I just couldn't carry it in confidence wondering what the next weird little unpleasant surprise would be.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Lehigh County)

im glad to read this..... im buying my fiancee a p-11 for her carry gun as soon as she gets her ltcf.... she loves it and i wouldnt mind carrying it instead of my sr9

Are still going to get the Kel Tec for youre fiancee Im not sure if thats a great idea after reading that post. Best of luck das
    [SIGPIC]

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Are still going to get the Kel Tec for youre fiancee Im not sure if thats a great idea after reading that post. Best of luck das
    ok so maybe ill have to buy 2... i love the sr9 but sometimes in shors and tshirt it prints a bit too much for me to consider it concealed... id oc but sometimes i dont feel comortable with it just yet...

unless you are trying to get to something else that im not understanding at this moment