Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Anyone Shooting 45GAP??? Do U like it? and in what are u shooting it

I currently have a springfield armory XD in 45 gap and I personally like the cartridge very much it's what's avalible now and it's technology moving forward on a almost perfect caliber to begin with and that fact that numerous state agience's have adopted it I was just wonding if anyone else out there is shooting it??

If so Do u like it??

What are you shooting it out of?

!!IN YOUR OPINION!! How do u think it compares to say. 40S&W? 45ACP? 357sig? etc...

I don't want a bunch of ballistics trash on here I already know what it is.. trust me i've done my homework. anywhos.. Let me know what you guys think.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Anyone Shooting 45GAP??? Do U like it? and in what are u shooting it

23 views and no respose yet. I've also been curious if anyone owns and regularly shoots the 45GAP. I know of no one.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Anyone Shooting 45GAP??? Do U like it? and in what are u shooting it

I recently purchased a Glock 39 - couldn't pass up the deals on the Glock GAP 45's - got the 39 new for $ 390 at the last Hsbg Gun Show ! Haven't shot it much so far, had about 2 or 3 stovepipes out of 30 or 40 rounds so hopefully just break in on the new gun ! Getting use to the subcompact so my accuracy hasn't been too great so far, hopefully the gun will settle in and so will my accuracy. Great deals at Buds still on the Glock 37 for $ 379 - can't go wrong !

(Bucks County)

i never really saw the point with the 45 gap, so why bother to add another cartridge to the stable when the 45 does everything i need it to do????? i look at the 45 gap as the answer to a question never asked.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i look at the 45 gap as the answer to a question never asked.
    Well put.

I was wondering, since .45GAP is essentialy a .45ACP but shortened case(about that of 9mm case? I think Gap case is .755", and ACP case is like .890"? - I understand that there are other small differences, like ACP use lg pistol primer and gap use small pistol, and rim dimentions are little different as well), so if you own wheel gun chambered for .45ACP using moonclip, like 625, can it shoot .45GAP, like you can shoot .38special out of .357mag?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Northampton County)

My friend has a 45 GAP Glock and it shoots like a dream. Good luck finding (or paying for) ammo. I think PSP uses them?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Well put.

I was wondering, since .45GAP is essentialy a .45ACP but shortened case(about that of 9mm case? I think Gap case is .755", and ACP case is like .890"? - I understand that there are other small differences, like ACP use lg pistol primer and gap use small pistol, and rim dimentions are little different as well), so if you own wheel gun chambered for .45ACP using moonclip, like 625, can it shoot .45GAP, like you can shoot .38special out of .357mag?

The answer to this is MAYBE it would depend really because the Gap has a different headspace when ti comes to that so I dunno.. I wouldn't try it.. and as far as anyone saying "It's a answer to a question never asked" I say As i did earlier It is Technology moving forward and why not it's cheaper in the long run it uses smaller brass (less material) and less powder (also less) but shoot the terrific 45 ball I mean how can u go wrong and why WOULDN'T you want this?? I think the questions been asked plenty of times over and over agian

"We need a 45 on a 9mm frame" It's that simple really. Everyone has wanted it.. Now they have it.. It compares Equally and sometimes even better than the ACP. but ina smaller more managable package. But the point of this blog was to see if anyone Other than Myself is shooting it and if so do they like it?

I shot about 50Magtech 230GR FMJ out of My XD45GAP Tactical no hang ups nothing and I feel its comparable in recoil of say....a Sig 229, S&W Sigma 40, H&K Usp 45. But yet the grip is Almost Identical to the M1911 A1. I think it's really the first type of round to even Challenge the 45acp so It just needs time to catch on.. But also as I said 4 differnt LEO agincies are already using the 45gap PA being one of them.. I like it and I think it's here to stay.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Well put.

Yes. GAP's, like the ACP, would headspace off the rim and moonclip instead of the case mouth. When rimless cartridges are used in revolvers with moonclips they no longer headspace off the mouth, they use the rim and clip for proper chambering.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    My friend has a 45 GAP Glock and it shoots like a dream. Good luck finding (or paying for) ammo. I think PSP uses them?
    Just because the PSP has .45 GAP doesn't mean the ammo is going to be overflowing on the shelves of gun stores or Wally World. There might be a little bit of a popularity increase so a shop might have a box or 2 now and then whereas they would have had none before, but it's still going to be harder to find than 9mm, .40, or .45 ACP. It's also going to be more expensive. PSP doesn't order their ammo from Wal-Mart.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    "It's a answer to a question never asked" I say As i did earlier It is Technology moving forward and why not it's cheaper in the long run it uses smaller brass (less material) and less powder (also less) but shoot the terrific 45 ball I mean how can u go wrong and why WOULDN'T you want this?? I think the questions been asked plenty of times over and over agian

I really have to disagree with you as i don't see the 45 gap as technology moving forward. it's an oddball cartridge that i doubt will ever catch on with the majority of shooters. for those folks that like the 45 acp there is no alternative especially when the 45 gap doesn't offer any significant advantages over the 45acp.

"We need a 45 on a 9mm frame" It's that simple really. Everyone has wanted it.. Now they have it.. It compares Equally and sometimes even better than the ACP. but ina smaller more managable package. But the point of this blog was to see if anyone Other than Myself is shooting it and if so do they like it?

if this statement was true the 45 gap would be a much more popular round and other manufacturers would be chambering hand guns in it. who offers the 45gap other than glock and SA? the lack of responses to your post should indicate the lack of interest in the cartridge.

I shot about 50Magtech 230GR FMJ out of My XD45GAP Tactical no hang ups nothing and I feel its comparable in recoil of say....a Sig 229, S&W Sigma 40, H&K Usp 45. But yet the grip is Almost Identical to the M1911 A1. I think it's really the first type of round to even Challenge the 45acp so It just needs time to catch on.. But also as I said 4 differnt LEO agincies are already using the 45gap PA being one of them.. I like it and I think it's here to stay.
    the fact 4 LEO angencies have adopted the 45 gap doesn't mean squat since in many instances it's really the bean counters that decide which firearms are purchased and which are not. when it comes to government purchases the contract usually goes to the lowest bidder

if you like the 45gap more power to you and i would agree it's probably here to stay but i don't think it will ever replace or become more popular than the 45 acp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast