Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 38

(Cumberland County)

Default New 38

Looking for some input on (4) 38's I am considering. I want a light weight 38, and after researching for a while, I seem to keep coming back to 4 different ones for various reasons :

1. S&W 638 - like the look and the shrouded hammer
    2. S&W talo - like the looks and the grips - not sure if grips are a good
    enough reason to buy seeing I can easily change grips with
    any 38
    3. S&W 42 ( 150502 ) - like the "old fashion" look and grip safety
    4. S&W 442 ( 150505 ) - like the black look, novelty.

Any input or personal experience would be appreciated !

(Pike County)

Default Re: New 38

Of the revolvers you listed I only have a 642 this very much like the 442. The gun is light and easy to carry. I changed the grips to service stocks with a Tyler T- Grip. I also painted the front sight with orange nail polish.

At the range I shoot 148 wadcutters. This is a easy and a fun load to shoot. I follow this up with a cylinder or two of my carry ammunition, Buffalo Bore STD pressure 158 grain LSWCHP's.

The light J frames do kick like mules and are not that easy to shoot well. If you practice you'll be suprised how well they can shoot.

(Luzerne County)

Out of what you have listed I have the 638. I like the idea of being able to single action it. I don't think the recoil in it is that bad.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

If you're looking for a snubby, you owe it to yourself to check out the Ruger LCR. I think the trigger on mine is better than those on the Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    If you're looking for a snubby, you owe it to yourself to check out the Ruger LCR. I think the trigger on mine is better than those on the Smiths.
    I agree. I own one & I also like the trigger better.

(Montgomery County)

Talo is a distributor of S&W products that often orders custom run guns. Please be more specific on which model it is that you are considering that is a Talo special.

As for the revolvers you listed, they are fine from what I can tell. (I do not know which Talo model you are referring to) You have to ask a very important set fo questions: what is this revolver for and will I invest enough time and money in training how to use it effectively.

A quick comment on the 638, if you are intending this as a carry weapon the single action "option" will be of no use to you in a defensive situation. Spend the money for whichever revolver you use and get an action job to smooth and lighten the double action trigger. Also, practicing single action only at the range because it makes tighter groups creates bad habits and will make you less effective at using the revolver for defense purposes.

It may take several thousand rounds of .38 special to get good controlling the recoil of the lightweight revolver, the trigger control necessary to fire accurately and the reloading experience to make it a good defensive weapon. Be warned, lightweight revolvers are much harder to shoot well then compact autos like the Glock 19. I am no Glock man, I am a hardcore revolver owner/carrier.

My suggestion, go with the 442 type revolver and invest the 65-100 bucks to have the action smoothed out, have the charge holes chamfered, buy some safariland speedloaders, buy a case of .38 special ammo and get a good pocket holster and a hip holster (leather to save the finish). I know this sounds a lot more expensive then just the revolver, but what good is an expensive Les Paul guitar to someone who cannot play it???
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

[QUOTE=Steve_NEPhila;1056066]Talo is a distributor of S&W products that often orders custom run guns. Please be more specific on which model it is that you are considering that is a Talo special.

The Talo I was looking at was the 642 ul. Thanks for the great info.. I own several revolvers now so I have had some practice with them, but they are all heavier 357 mags. or lighter .22's - I have been thinking about the ultra light 38 for carry. I lover my auto's, but can't get that feeling that revolvers always go bang no matter what out of my mind, therefore, the desire for an ultra light. I liked the shrouded hammer, but never thought of a trigger job on a da so that is definitly a possibility. I like Rugers, but the LCR never got my juices flowing like the S&W's - but not totally opposed to it. If anyone has suggestions other than the 4 I listed, I am still pretty open to what would be the best - I probably should have said that early on, but thought I'd try to narrow the field

(Westmoreland County)

The Talo I was looking at was the 642 ul. Thanks for the great info.. I own several revolvers now so I have had some practice with them, but they are all heavier 357 mags. or lighter .22's - I have been thinking about the ultra light 38 for carry. I lover my auto's, but can't get that feeling that revolvers always go bang no matter what out of my mind, therefore, the desire for an ultra light. I liked the shrouded hammer, but never thought of a trigger job on a da so that is definitly a possibility. I like Rugers, but the LCR never got my juices flowing like the S&W's - but not totally opposed to it. If anyone has suggestions other than the 4 I listed, I am still pretty open to what would be the best - I probably should have said that early on, but thought I'd try to narrow the field [/QUOTE]

642 = airweight, concealed hammer

(Perry County)

For some reason the 638s seem to sell for a bit less than comparable models. I love mine. I bought one for my Son-in Law for Christmas '08 and for $400, so they are very reasonable. I have Crimson trace on my 638, they make shooting accurately much faster. However the grips were about $250? I would be cautious about the trigger job. Do not replace the springs with lighter ones and don't change any angles on the sear. Polish lightly and lube, then shoot a lot, dry fire more, the trigger on a Smith and Wesson is normally potentially excellent, but may take some wearing in to achieve it.

Steve NE learned from me......there is no bad Smith & Wesson. The most important issue is getting accessories that make carry comfortable and practical. Burning through a case of ammo will smooth the action but a good gunsmith will chamfer the charge holes in the cylinder to ease reloading. That same gunsmith will smooth the action and setup the trigger for better use.

Steve has a nice smith that is 2 serial numbers from mine.....He had his worked on and I will someday have mine done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast