Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: gunsmith??

(Allegheny County)

Default gunsmith??

Posted this under gunsmiths but maybe this is a better place:

I have an old pump shotgun, not worth much (practically nothing), a copy of a winchester design (I think) that was made by a machine tool company in Mass (deerfield) as a trade/pattern gun sold through Sears and Roebuck. My only interest is that it was my grandfathers and I'd like to hang on to it.

It has a small retaining screw that broke inside the action, and some chewed up places on the wood and steel, but no pitting/rust etc. It is definitely repairable and serviceable.

I know from time to time people post on here who are students going to PA gunsmith academy looking for project guns to reblue etc. If anyone is in that situation or knows someone, let me know. This is something I'd like to get fixed and maybe reblued, but don't want to spend a huge chunk of money on.

I also have a Marlin .22 rifle that is actually in pretty good shape, but that I'd be willing to volunteer for restocking or reblue if it was cheap. I'm not in any hurry, this stuff is just sitting in the back of my safe.

Default Re: gunsmith??

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    Posted this under gunsmiths but maybe this is a better place:

I have an old pump shotgun, not worth much (practically nothing), a copy of a winchester design (I think) that was made by a machine tool company in Mass (deerfield) as a trade/pattern gun sold through Sears and Roebuck. My only interest is that it was my grandfathers and I'd like to hang on to it.

It has a small retaining screw that broke inside the action, and some chewed up places on the wood and steel, but no pitting/rust etc. It is definitely repairable and serviceable.

I know from time to time people post on here who are students going to PA gunsmith academy looking for project guns to reblue etc. If anyone is in that situation or knows someone, let me know. This is something I'd like to get fixed and maybe reblued, but don't want to spend a huge chunk of money on.

I also have a Marlin .22 rifle that is actually in pretty good shape, but that I'd be willing to volunteer for restocking or reblue if it was cheap. I'm not in any hurry, this stuff is just sitting in the back of my safe.
    I don't know where you are in the county, but check with Jr's Customs on Hacienda Drive in Baldwin. He is right off of Brownsville Road near South Park.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

There was a gunsmith in Dormont that a friend used to give a lot of work. I believe he worked out of a wheelchair. Don't know anything else.
    I have sent some simple things to Bravermans in Wilkinsburg.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sr View Post
    There was a gunsmith in Dormont that a friend used to give a lot of work. I believe he worked out of a wheelchair. Don't know anything else.
    I have sent some simple things to Bravermans in Wilkinsburg.
    That's Tony Molinaro on West Liberty. He's still there though I don't know what sort of hours he keeps anymore.